Going Into Porter's From Driving

kurtkampy

Hi Im Kurt from Wisconsin and I've been driving over 29 years. I'm thinking of transferring to Porters. My question is do you think the porter jobs will still be around in 3 years when contract is up? There really isn't a lot of information about porters out there and I don't know if the jobs are the same all over the country. Any thoughts on this?

Kurt Kampy

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This sounds like a good move to me. As a senior driver, I would not mind finishing out my last few years doing something like this that looks like it isn't so hard on the body. My only concern would be like you stated, will the job be there for the next few years.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
kurt, speaking of Pension, local 344's pension is in the red. Might want to take the 30 and out while it's still there. You can get a janitor job somewhere else to make some extra.

kurtkampy

Hey Brownmonster;

I know that 344 pension is in the red, but if the pension went belly up would it matter if I was retired and collecting or if I was still working? If there's no money in the pension at least I might still have a job.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Hey Brownmonster;

I know that 344 pension is in the red, but if the pension went belly up would it matter if I was retired and collecting or if I was still working? If there's no money in the pension at least I might still have a job.

Good point. What I'm saying is guys are sticking around waiting for the pension to improve. I see the monthly pension being less down the road or having to be older to collect it. People getting a full pension at 51 years old is unsustainable.

kurtkampy

My main concern is if go into porters will I have a job after next contract. I want to work a few more years until my last kid gets out of college. With the way UPS is cutting back, will they try to get rid of the porter jobs? If they eliminated them as people retire then at least I would still be able to work. If I try to keep driving till the next contract, then maybe they won't allow drivers into this position anymore. How easy would it be for the company to eliminate the porters job? The union business agent told me, if the job was eliminated I could go back to driving but I would always be at the bottom of the list, driving crummy routes and never gain any bidding seniority. Not a happy thought. Thanks for letting me vent.

Kurt Kampy

over9five

Staff member
Also ask why your local allows your seniority to change just because you change classifications. You guys are being shafted.

JonFrum

We don't even have Porters in New England. In my building we have an outside cleaning crew that pretends to clean the building and bathrooms. They also have a guy that drives the Zamboni back and forth over the cement floor to spread all the package car oil droppings out evenly. When it's humid and rainy he leaves the floor wet and all the oils float to the surface of the concrete. The water can't evaporate, so it's like walking in a skateing rink. Oddly, OSHA and Keter never seem to pay a visit on those days.
- - - -
Normally UPS can eliminate any bargaining unit job as long as they leave the work undone. They can't just eliminate the Teamster job and then give the work to an outside contractor.

rocket man

hi im kurt from wisconsin and i've been driving over 29 years. I'm thinking of transferring to porters. My question is do you think the porter jobs will still be around in 3 years when contract is up? Kurt kampy
you have 29 years in??? And you have to ask on this site??? Were do you people come from?

DSM515

Go for it. If they get rid of your job you can bump any job in your building with your seniority and they have to train you for your new job. Plus they cant take away union work and give it to a non union company

j13501

Go for it. If they get rid of your job you can bump any job in your building with your seniority and they have to train you for your new job.

DS makes a great point. Although the company would love to eliminate all UPS porters (most of the buildings in the country have an outside cleaning service), it would be difficult to negotiate an elimination of that job without also allowing the current porters some flexibility in new assignment. Since the porters are the most senior people, both sides will understand that all the hourly employees will be concerned about the existing porters, and their new assignments.

frank75

Also ask why your local allows your seniority to change just because you change classifications. You guys are being shafted.
Old thread but I gotta ask...Have you ever read L344's rider, or the CRT language? If anyone is being "shafted" the guys that voted this in did it to themselves. And brownmonster is dead wrong, L344's pension has never been in the RED zone.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
kurt, speaking of Pension, local 344's pension is in the red. Might want to take the 30 and out while it's still there. You can get a janitor job somewhere else to make some extra.

Had my doubts when I originally read this post and wanted to do some research before responding. Just returned from this months general membership meeting of Local 344, and as I thought, our pension is NOT in the red. As of last Friday in fact our pension is in the Green! The pension fund would have to lose over 10% between now and the end of the year to put it in the red zone for the year!