Going to the dentist...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Where I will spend about 2 hrs in the chiar getting my top front teeth ground down with a Dremel Its gonna hurt.

The doc gave me a sedative pill to take an hout before hand, and its kicking in big time. Even with the pill im freaked out a little. Wish me luck!

[video=youtube;i6rP98A6BCA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6rP98A6BCA[/video]

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Good luck!

But if it hurts I can't help to think your dentist is being stingy with the pain killers. The only thing that should hurt is the first injection of the novocaine needle. After that you might feel pressure, but that's about it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I've had phobias around dental work for a long time.

When I was 8 yrs old I had to have 4 teeth pulled. My dad dropped me off at the dentist and left, telling me that when the appoinment was over I needed to walk to school. He was too cheap to pay the extra $20 so that I could have laughing gas.

4 teeth-4 shots of novacaine. Hurt like hell and I cried the whole time. When it was over I started walking to school with a mouthful of bloody guaze, but it made me sick to my stomach and I puked. I skipped school and walked home. When my dad found out I ditched school he beat my ass.

What probably made this all worse was that my dad (too cheap to hire a babysitter) had just taken me to the theater with him to see the premeir of "Marathon Man" with Dustin Hoffman and Sir Laurence Olivier as the sadistic Nazi concentration camp dentist. Not a good movie for an 8 yr old kid to see.

It was a bad day and it soured me on dentists for a long time. The one I have now is a real pro, he uses extra novacaine and laughing gas as needed. This particular procedure took 3 hrs and its hard to breathe the gas that long so he gave me some sedatives. I slept thru half the procedure, and now I sitting at home with a hell of a buzz and glad to have the whole thing over with.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sober, I understand your reticence about going to the dentist. For years I have told dentists that they never give me enough novacaine. I am ultra-senstive to dental work. All the dentists blew it off until I went to an Endodontist a couple of years ago. He was doing a root canal and I nearly bit his finger off. Prior to him starting the work I told him of the problem that I had. He gave me extra novacaine and I still nearly bit him. He is a believer now. He got out some really good stuff and it did the trick.

The friday before Christmas when I cut the bridge of my nose and had to have 8 stiches I had a similar problem. The doctor gave me a local injection shich normally would have been enough. When I started whincing from the pain he asked if had problems at the dentist. I told him yes. He used some more anesthetic and finished sewing me up.

Big Babooba

Had a root canal done during my lunch hour once. Nothing to it! I used to hate the needles when I was younger. I let the dentist drill without novocain.

brownrod

When I had my wisdom teeth out I did it conscious. A couple shots then he yanked them out. No problem. I didn't even take any of the pain medicine they prescribed me.

D

Dis-organized Labor

Had a root canal done during my lunch hour once. Nothing to it! I used to hate the needles when I was younger. I let the dentist drill without novocain.

Me too; I had one and I was expecting this horrible experience.
It was much less intrusive than a filling.

Last edited by a moderator: