Blacklisted - Clarification On Refusal / Failed Drug Test ?

gb1017

Hi so first im viewing and typing this from my phone, I tried searching and finding a legit answer but my phone being slow so pardon me if this is posted already

So I was a Home Delivery driver for one year back in California, I was planning to move to Florida (which I now reside), so I told my contractor im quitting. They needed me for holiday season so he convinced me to stay and gave me a raise at $950 a week. So I said yes. JUST SO HAPPEN, the very next day, station manager pulls me aside for a random drug test. On site on the spot. I refused it. So obviously I had to leave the station right then and there.‎

The drug test guy did say I could get my job back by doing some classes, and I suppose going thru the "return-to-duty" process? If im not mistaken, I dont know too much about that. This was all back in November 2016.

So my question is; since I refused, am I completely blacklisted from FedEx EVERYWHERE? Not just in California, but even HERE in Florida? Also, I remember rumors at the station that Home/Ground/Express were all merging and were gonna be all the same? So even if I tried to apply for EXPRESS, (since they are/were their own "entity"), am I still blacklisted completely?

I lost interest in this industry but once I moved to Florida (panhandle), im realizing the job market here fairly sucks, and even though FedEx had so many (pros and) cons, I actually miss my old route and the money I earned.

So it just so happen again, im always seeing a budget or FedEx truck in my new neighbors yard. Now currently he has a Ground truck with Express colors parked out front. So I finally caught him outside one day, I talked to him, told him my old sitatuation, etc. He's a contractor, but he told me that he is not sure if I am blacklisted completely, and or if its everywhere. He said its just worth a shot for me to go to the local station, apply, and say I want to work for his company.‎

I've seen postings on craigslist from other contractors, I would email them and ask my question, but of course no responses. Called another contractor today but no answer, and wouldnt wanna waste time with a voicemail.‎

What do you think? Does anyone have an official legit answer?‎

My neighbor lets his employees take their trucks home too, which is great seeing as the station is a fairly long drive out the way. I know I can just be screwed for life, but wanna see if anyone has the real insight. And about this "return-to-duty" process, I know i'd have to pay money for classes, but is this forreal?‎

Thank you for any input, I know I couldve made this post a lot shorter and straight to the point but mybad lol

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Hi so first im viewing and typing this from my phone, I tried searching and finding a legit answer but my phone being slow so pardon me if this is posted already

So I was a Home Delivery driver for one year back in California, I was planning to move to Florida (which I now reside), so I told my contractor im quitting. They needed me for holiday season so he convinced me to stay and gave me a raise at $950 a week. So I said yes. JUST SO HAPPEN, the very next day, station manager pulls me aside for a random drug test. On site on the spot. I refused it. So obviously I had to leave the station right then and there.‎

The drug test guy did say I could get my job back by doing some classes, and I suppose going thru the "return-to-duty" process? If im not mistaken, I dont know too much about that. This was all back in November 2016.

So my question is; since I refused, am I completely blacklisted from FedEx EVERYWHERE? Not just in California, but even HERE in Florida? Also, I remember rumors at the station that Home/Ground/Express were all merging and were gonna be all the same? So even if I tried to apply for EXPRESS, (since they are/were their own "entity"), am I still blacklisted completely?

I lost interest in this industry but once I moved to Florida (panhandle), im realizing the job market here fairly sucks, and even though FedEx had so many (pros and) cons, I actually miss my old route and the money I earned.

So it just so happen again, im always seeing a budget or FedEx truck in my new neighbors yard. Now currently he has a Ground truck with Express colors parked out front. So I finally caught him outside one day, I talked to him, told him my old sitatuation, etc. He's a contractor, but he told me that he is not sure if I am blacklisted completely, and or if its everywhere. He said its just worth a shot for me to go to the local station, apply, and say I want to work for his company.‎

I've seen postings on craigslist from other contractors, I would email them and ask my question, but of course no responses. Called another contractor today but no answer, and wouldnt wanna waste time with a voicemail.‎

My neighbor lets his employees take their trucks home too, which is great seeing as the station is a fairly long drive out the way. I know I can just be screwed for life, but wanna see if anyone has the real insight. And about this "return-to-duty" process, I know i'd have to pay money for classes, but is this forreal?‎

Thank you for any input, I know I couldve made this post a lot shorter and straight to the point but mybad lol
Umm, why don't you do as the contractor said and apply at a station?? Then you'll know for sure what the answer is.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

What was it? Meff

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Refused to take a random drug test = perma DQ, but bbsam or other subcontractors will chime in...

I also didn't know that flipping the truck on it's side is also a DQ for life. Meh, I have lots of drainage ditches with no shoulder on half my rural route...

vantexan

If you are blacklisted it'll come out so maybe not share your story with prospective employers and just wait and see. Otherwise you may be shooting yourself in the foot and not giving yourself a chance. And most likely you'll have to get a drug screen to get hired so make sure you can pass first. And the rumors about Express and Ground merging are at the moment just rumors and most likely will never happen. A lot of rumors float around at FedEx.

It will be fine

You're DQ'd for life. Failed drug test is a lifetime DQ from Ground. It's worth a shot to go in and apply again though, you may get lucky and the old station management may have just put you on inactive status and not bothered to do the paperwork for a proper DQ. You should know within a day of applying.

We had a kid here that failed a premployment drug screen and kept coming back in to apply for other contractors. He wanted to keep his unemployment so he had to show he was applying for jobs.

Star B

White Lightening
I also didn't know that flipping the truck on it's side is also a DQ for life. Meh, I have lots of drainage ditches with no shoulder on half my rural route...
I'm pretty sure if you tip a truck on a country road with a 125deg ditch that you slid into is a little bit different than flipping a truck in the middle of the city.

OrioN

iwbf, the OP refused to do the random... is that the same as a failed test?

I took one 3 weeks ago, but I haven't heard of how much purple promise koolaide was in my system

It will be fine

iwbf, the OP refused to do the random... is that the same as a failed test?

I took one 3 weeks ago, but I haven't heard of how much purple promise koolaide was in my system
Yes, if the test is off site, failure to report within 2 hours is a failed test too. OP may be lucky if terminal management entered in that he just wasn't present instead of refused a test, but it's a long shot.

The Youngin' Of It All

When I brought the Ground routes from my counterpart, I asked him if he wanted me to keep him in the system. He stayed in the system and was placed as inactive (until refilling paperwork out for MVR, etc.) He wanted to work one day out of the blue but couldn't because he was apparently randomly pulled for a drug test in between the time of which he sold and hadn't worked to the current work day. I believe they placed him as inactive, obviously because he wasn't present at all and he didn't refuse the drug test if he never knew about it to begin with. I didn't know about it either so I couldn't say anything to him about it. This is FedEx we're talking about. Judge, jury, and executioner of all who work within the industry regardless of relationship. Based on your situation, I would say the chances of being permanently disqualified are high for a permanent if not indefinite period of time simply because you refused and knew about it. Even says it in the Schedule I 1.3 under ISP if you are a contractor. You can try to apply and maybe you will get lucky like ITBF said, but I think it's a losing battle and based on the recent time frame, you're either going to be out of commission 5+ years minimum if not forever.

gb1017

Thank you all for your replies so far. I suppose it is still worth a shot to try, which will be the last resort of course, was just trying to get as much inside knowledge beforehand before I try my luck. The station is about just shy of an hour drive from where I live.

So my test was on site, inside the station, and I refused it. My manager, fedex station manager, and the drug test guy were all inside the office as everything was being discussed, that I would be disqualified etc.‎

BUT, which non have yet to shed any light on this; the drug test guy gave me his card, and said there IS a way I can possibly go back to work, and I would have to sign up for classes, like rehab classes, go through a long (and i'd assume expensive?) process, and be subject to drug testing once a week. Which I believe is called the DOT "return-to-duty" process.. ??

He explained it briefly, fedex manager didnt say anything, we all shook hands and that was that. Got disqualified from the‎ job I had been wanting to quit anyway. I gave my contractor a one month notice opposed to 2 weeks, and I kept staying and helping day after day cause they desperately needed me. Then they ended up getting screwed anyway. Well, I guess as well as I. ‎

I asked my contractor what this process was if I wanted to get my job back, and he said the same as the drug test guy, but though my contractor was brand new and recently bought these routes, was completely new to the industry so he sounded unsure of it all himself.

So what exactly is this "return-to-duty" process, and does it / will it even apply for FedEx?? Is it true or false? Or just misinformation?‎

And if I am just permanently disqualified for life, that's not just for HD/Ground, its for Express as well? ‎

OrioN

Good luck in trying to re enter. If the contractor can look up your past id # and see before they even start the re hiring process, that will put an end to all the ambiguity of that situation.

Are Amazon contractors hiring? Maybe that's another venture you can look up since vantexan brought it up in another thread that the pay is similar to FedEx subcontractors.

Or a flex Amazonian driver using your own personal vehicle...

It will be fine

Thank you all for your replies so far. I suppose it is still worth a shot to try, which will be the last resort of course, was just trying to get as much inside knowledge beforehand before I try my luck. The station is about just shy of an hour drive from where I live.

So my test was on site, inside the station, and I refused it. My manager, fedex station manager, and the drug test guy were all inside the office as everything was being discussed, that I would be disqualified etc.‎

BUT, which non have yet to shed any light on this; the drug test guy gave me his card, and said there IS a way I can possibly go back to work, and I would have to sign up for classes, like rehab classes, go through a long (and i'd assume expensive?) process, and be subject to drug testing once a week. Which I believe is called the DOT "return-to-duty" process.. ??

He explained it briefly, fedex manager didnt say anything, we all shook hands and that was that. Got disqualified from the‎ job I had been wanting to quit anyway. I gave my contractor a one month notice opposed to 2 weeks, and I kept staying and helping day after day cause they desperately needed me. Then they ended up getting screwed anyway. Well, I guess as well as I. ‎

I asked my contractor what this process was if I wanted to get my job back, and he said the same as the drug test guy, but though my contractor was brand new and recently bought these routes, was completely new to the industry so he sounded unsure of it all himself.

So what exactly is this "return-to-duty" process, and does it / will it even apply for FedEx?? Is it true or false? Or just misinformation?‎

And if I am just permanently disqualified for life, that's not just for HD/Ground, its for Express as well? ‎
I've never heard of a return to work program after a failed test. It's not in my contract, it might be a Cali state law type thing.
I doubt the failed test would show up if you applied for Express. Ground and Express computer systems don't talk to each other much. There's no harm in applying and finding out.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Good luck in trying to re enter. If the contractor can look up your past id # and see before they even start the re hiring process, that will put an end to all the ambiguity of that situation.

Are Amazon contractors hiring? Maybe that's another venture you can look up since vantexan brought it up in another thread that the pay is similar to FedEx subcontractors.

Or a flex Amazonian driver using your own personal vehicle...
Who are you and what have you done with OrioN? Your drastic writing style change gave you away!