Gonna put more $ in your 401(k)? Do Tell…

johnnyunion

the grandpalooza of all you losers
They already changed the rules on inherited IRAs forcing people to take the money out and pay taxes on the government's terms.

Not hard to imagine them doing something similar like taxing 401k balances over a certain amount.
Or saying,: congrats you got more than the guy next to you saved up for retirement. So we’re gonna cut your Social Security payment while we increase his. Thanks for playing and have a nice day.

Up In Smoke

Today is the last day to purchase I bonds with a 9% yield. You may purchase 10K per person with an open account. The next issuance yields drop to 6%.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Today is the last day to purchase I bonds with a 9% yield. You may purchase 10K per person with an open account. The next issuance yields drop to 6%.
Are you sure? treasurydirect.gov has a message that the site was down for maintenance (and to process the overwhelming # of purchase orders) between midnight Friday and midnight Sunday. It clearly states purchases made today (Monday Oct. 31) will receive the new rate published tomorrow.

(disclosure: I bought 5k a few weeks ago)

Up In Smoke

Are you sure? treasurydirect.gov has a message that the site was down for maintenance (and to process the overwhelming # of purchase orders) between midnight Friday and midnight Sunday. It clearly states purchases made today (Monday Oct. 31) will receive the new rate published tomorrow.

I was under the impression that all sales in October would be @9%. Had placed a reminder in my calendar that appeared this morning. If things have changed, that's news to me. Good to know. I bought mine earlier, but still had the reminder.

Sorry it's too late to buy them at the current rate. Anytime you make a transaction on Treasury direct it goes into effect the following day.
Screenshot_20221031-091444-817.png

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

How long do you hold those for?

You can hold and collect longer that 5 years?
Up to 30 years
The interest rate resets twice a year May 1st and November 1st

But the earnings compound on interest and you also do not have to pay any state or local tax on interest.
You also do not have to pay federal tax on interest until you cash them in

Over70irregs

Up to 30 years
The interest rate resets twice a year May 1st and November 1st

But the earnings compound on interest and you also do not have to pay any state or local tax on interest.
You also do not have to pay federal tax on interest until you cash them in
With inflation you’ll be negative. Better than nothing.