Google maps... editing markers

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
So most of us have a Google id...

Our terminal has the ability to send the stops of the day(sequenced manifest) and use Google Map to plot 8 stops at a time , like the free version of road warrior app!

I'm still seeing some slight misplots and I can actually moved the markers to improve accuracy on the GPS points.

It takes about a day or so for Google to confirm and update their database and send me an email that they have changed it, sweet!

I dunno if Amazon uses Google maps database or some other programming system but after some time, their misdelivery rates are slowly decreasing in my service area.

Of course , I now see some customers with visible mailbox and house numbers (so I know they're using Amazon)

Can't believe that they just emerge to outnumber me so quickly.

Their smalls are already bagged for different neighborhood sections and stacked up in those cargo vans.

While I'll haul the oversized mattresses , furniture, rug rolls, snowblowers, etc...

OrioN

Google maps app. You can download the service area to your smart phone and go offline... I have a micro sd memory card and got my whole state on it.

"Here maps" are similar...

Holy cow, they're faster to confirm than I thot!
I've updated 30 addresses so far on their Google Map database and got multiple emails:

Success
Your edit to " Main Street" City, State, United States has been published. See your change. Note that some changes might take up to 24 hours before appearing on Google.
Thank you for improving Google Maps! Your insights make it a better, more useful map for everyone.

So when I log into their maps app, it's finally gonna plot correctly, whee!

Before, the delivery point is 3 or more houses away from the GPS plot

Now, how come those FedEx computer people can't do it so quickly when I scan the box at the delivery point, it should learn from it...

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Now, how come those FedEx computer people can't do it so quickly when I scan the box at the delivery point, it should learn from it...
Are you a programmer? How dare you question the complexity in the face of obvious simplicity!
@59 Dano needs to school you until you apologize to those overworked, under appreciated programmers and engineers.

JK

MAKAVELI

Google maps app. You can download the service area to your smart phone and go offline... I have a micro sd memory card and got my whole state on it.

"Here maps" are similar...

Holy cow, they're faster to confirm than I thot!
I've updated 30 addresses so far on their Google Map database and got multiple emails:

So when I log into their maps app, it's finally gonna plot correctly, whee!

Before, the delivery point is 3 or more houses away from the GPS plot

If you know where the houses are located I'm not sure why you care about Google maps?:surprised:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
If you know where the houses are located I'm not sure why you care about Google maps?:surprised:
He’s probably like all the newbies at Express who are in the blind when DRA goes down. They have no idea how to plan out a route. I went to help a new courier Saturday and he had 10 stops left, spread out on four shelves. Lol.

OrioN

Because when I call out, I don't want to have to do DFU s when I return to retrieve mis-deliveries like I did over the summer when I had trainees cover my area during that single system conversion...

Besides Garmin GPS, ground cloud... we also have Google maps app as another tool for swing drivers to use.

Also, I can tell dispatch to email me route ### manifest so I can go help him/her when done with my route

For last Monday, I was done with my route, so I ask if anyone nearby needs help to email me their manifest... then I'll text that driver thru the scanner for a meet point 30 minutes from now.

I can then scan his manifest on my email and take a section off him & repeat as needed

Mutineer

I agree. And here's why: There is a term reserved for blue-collar occupational skills that the college types and desk-jockeys hate like a vampire hates holy water. And the term is "Tribal Knowledge".

Tribal Knowledge is most often reserved for skilled labor positions (welders, machinists, carpenters) but also has a place for a lowly box-donkey.

Tribal Knowledge is/are tricks and shortcuts in accomplishing a task that can ONLY be learned the hard way. By actually DOING the job.

IOW, stop doing work and solving problems for people that are paid way more than you are.

Someday you ARE going to get fired, laid off, or replaced for a reason you didn't deserve.
Make them pay by forcing them to re-invent the wheel.

Last edited:

OrioN

Shrugs, I'm applying my area knowledge to that so any dumb box donkey can cover my rural area... yup, I'm shooting myself on the foot it seems...

Over the summer, I stepped down from my bid area to cover a harder one until they find more drivers by the fall. I did have to learn those misplots the hard way & made an old skool cheat sheet on it for the next driver that will take over. Didn't mind since it's summer, daylight last longer & no school busses to compete with...

I do see some Amazon drivers on their phones contacting the customers to verify if they're at the correct address though.

so it seems they don't know that you can't totally rely on the database that's not updated.

OrioN

Make them pay by forcing them to re-invent the wheel.
I've already seen it happened when other drivers quit on the spot.

They'll split the route into 2 or 3 and adjust from there

I just hate it when they set the replacement driver to fail... so I'll volunteer to help when done my route. I'm finishing quickly now since volume went back to normal + I'll get bonus pay for going out to rescue others

MAKAVELI

Shrugs, I'm applying my area knowledge to that so any dumb box donkey can cover my rural area... yup, I'm shooting myself on the foot it seems...

Over the summer, I stepped down from my bid area to cover a harder one until they find more drivers by the fall. I did have to learn those misplots the hard way & made an old skool cheat sheet on it for the next driver that will take over. Didn't mind since it's summer, daylight last longer & no school busses to compete with...

I do see some Amazon drivers on their phones contacting the customers to verify if they're at the correct address though.

so it seems they don't know that you can't totally rely on the database that's not updated.
The point is you don't get paid by the hour. You're only working for free doing all this extra bs. Time is money bro.

OrioN

LoL,I was in the can cleaning out my colon and updated 40 addresses in my rural area that were trouble spots... whoops!

Mutineer

I've already seen it happened when other drivers quit on the spot.

Other people failing and quitting makes YOU more valuable.

If your boss doesn't know this now, he WILL, for a while at least, after you are gone.

And someone else has to figure out the puzzle that you have already figured out.

Unless yer a mook. And enjoy solving problems for people who wouldn't waste their piss on you if you were on fire.

Which is what yer doing now (the mook thing, not the fire thing)

So stop it. And go back and sabotage all the corrections you made.

Last edited:

Star B

White Lightening
He’s probably like all the newbies at Express who are in the blind when DRA goes down. They have no idea how to plan out a route. I went to help a new courier Saturday and he had 10 stops left, spread out on four shelves. Lol.
Just newbies? Hell I've seen the experienced couriers go derp when DRA goes down.

FedEx is too cheap to buy the new version of the maps. That's why on the bottom of the DRA maps it says 2013(c)NAVTEQ (now HERE)
Don't listen to the (C)2019 FedEx, that's just pulling todays year and stuffing it down there.
2-0-1-3!!!!!! 6 YEAR OLD BASE MAPPING DATA. W-T-friend!!!

Brownsocks

Just a dog
So most of us have a Google id...

Our terminal has the ability to send the stops of the day(sequenced manifest) and use Google Map to plot 8 stops at a time , like the free version of road warrior app!

I'm still seeing some slight misplots and I can actually moved the markers to improve accuracy on the GPS points.

It takes about a day or so for Google to confirm and update their database and send me an email that they have changed it, sweet!

I dunno if Amazon uses Google maps database or some other programming system but after some time, their misdelivery rates are slowly decreasing in my service area.

Of course , I now see some customers with visible mailbox and house numbers (so I know they're using Amazon)

Can't believe that they just emerge to outnumber me so quickly.

Their smalls are already bagged for different neighborhood sections and stacked up in those cargo vans.

While I'll haul the oversized mattresses , furniture, rug rolls, snowblowers, etc...
Amazon uses Bing maps.
Bing Maps Home Page

whenIgetthere

I've met couriers on road with their trucks the same way, and they were veterans. Lousy couriers come across all levels of seniority.