Got paid 90 cents less for 9 months, please help.

reginald95

I got a fat back pay check last year for over a year of getting paid the wrong rate. I didn't get the union involved because they resolved it in a timely manner. If you are owed a certain pay rate you are entitled to that rate. If they won't give you backpay file a grievance and threaten a lawsuit. See how fast they react.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I started UPS on March 17th, 2015. Since then I have been paid 10.10 an hour. I am now the loader with the most seniority on my belt, and make a dollar less than all the other loaders. I found this out when I was talking to another loader who has been there for 4 months, I was complaining that the new hires made a dollar more an hour than I do, and he informed me that he made 11.10 an hour, so I asked around. Everyone on my belt makes 11.10, none of them ever took a belt test, they just got a dollar raise just because. I told my supervisor that I wanted to talk to my union Steward and he told me "No let me do my job" he then talked to my area coordinator and he said he would fix it, but could only go back two weeks of pay. He was very nice about the situation, but the way I look at it, I'm out several hundreds of dollars. I am the hardest worker on my belt, getting 300 to 400 more scans an hour then any other loader. Start early and end late, and up to now, made a dollar less than any one else. If I didn't catch this, I would still be making 10.10. I was informed that this was more of a "judgment" raise, not a time based raise, for hard workers. What can I do? Do I have a case? Or do I deal with the fact that I could of been making 11 an hour instead of 10 for nearly 10 months. Please help me, I'm a good worker who has never been in trouble,etc.

You need to file a grievance.

Your sup is partially correct-----he can do payroll adjustments for up to 90 days.

A supe shouldn't try. The company labor person (should) be involved.

You can file a grievance but you would probably lose because it is up to you to bring payroll errors to the attention of your immediate supervisor in a timely manner.

Once.... you have knowledge. The "timeliness" issue starts then. (for filing a grievance)

How far do they normally go back? I was always told 90 days.

Contractually, you are correct.

It's usually covered under the "Maintenance of Standards" article in the supplement.

I have seen the company pay beyond 90 days....

Just to avoid the embarrassment. :biggrin:

-Bug-

Pickles

You should get the $1 raise for the 10 days you picked off.

Your sup probably shouldn't be handing out raises when they don't actually deserve it. Hope this doesn't get your coworkers raises taken away from them.

That's just a skilled raise. It is given when you are on certain positions. You should not be able to collect back pay on that, you are lucky he is even giving you two weeks of it.

Indecisi0n

I had a payroll issue like yours and this is what I did. I first informed my boss so he could email payroll. I then went home and printed all my old pay checks to where the error started. I the LN added up all the difference for straight time and over time. By the. HR got back to my boss and said there was no issue. I then started filing grievances and within a few weeks my pay rate was fixed. Then they asked me to drop the grievances and I did not. I kept filing and filing until they gave up. They paid me every penny they owed me then paid me on every grievance I filed. Their stupidity cost them a lot more than just paying me from the start.

By The Book

I had a payroll issue like yours and this is what I did. I first informed my boss so he could email payroll. I then went home and printed all my old pay checks to where the error started. I the LN added up all the difference for straight time and over time. By the. HR got back to my boss and said there was no issue. I then started filing grievances and within a few weeks my pay rate was fixed. Then they asked me to drop the grievances and I did not. I kept filing and filing until they gave up. They paid me every penny they owed me then paid me on every grievance I filed. Their stupidity cost them a lot more than just paying me from the start.
That's Indy not being Indy right there. Bam!