got sent home

I got sent home today for having on tennis shoes. there were 4 other loaders on my belt and countless others in the building that had on tennis shoes and didnt get punished but i got singled out and sent home for the day.

I think this is BS.

a few months back i filed a greivance for hardware being placed on the belt (anything over 70lbs.) after it was filed all was quiet for a while and it has since started back up because management in my building has no regard for safety and if i get the union involved all is quiet until they realize no one is watching again.

that leads me back to the shoes issue. i basically would get the safety sup involved everytime i see a piece of hardware and he would usually just blow me off. so recently every day i got a piece of hardware i would wear regular shoes the next day. kind of a they dont care i dont care kinda thing. i know that dont make it right but whatever its like my version of a peaceful protest.

i just needed to vent. thanks for listening! :angry:

any suggestions on either topic would be great.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

images

This is a picture of Don Quixote. In this scenario you are Don Quixote and the windmill is UPS.

I got sent home today for having on tennis shoes. there were 4 other loaders on my belt and countless others in the building that had on tennis shoes and didnt get punished but i got singled out and sent home for the day.

I think this is BS.

a few months back i filed a greivance for hardware being placed on the belt (anything over 70lbs.) after it was filed all was quiet for a while and it has since started back up because management in my building has no regard for safety and if i get the union involved all is quiet until they realize no one is watching again.

that leads me back to the shoes issue. i basically would get the safety sup involved everytime i see a piece of hardware and he would usually just blow me off. so recently every day i got a piece of hardware i would wear regular shoes the next day. kind of a they dont care i dont care kinda thing. i know that dont make it right but whatever its like my version of a peaceful protest.

i just needed to vent. thanks for listening! :angry:

any suggestions on either topic would be great.

Don`t be a wuss. Tomorrow show up barefoot

iowa boy

Don`t be a wuss. Tomorrow show up barefoot

I was thinkin flip flops. That way he doesn't have to walk barefoot thru all the spit on the floor. And then when that 40 pound piece of 'hardware' falls on his foot, he will better understand why he shouldn't wear tennis shoes to work.

tynker

This is a SC person you're talking about - they all go barefoot anyway and think nothing of it!
From a former South Carolinian who went barefoot all year..........

JaxUPSHub

LOL. I cant stop laughing... You filed a grievance based on having a package or 'hardware' over 70lbs on the belt?? And that went through?? What kinda whimp are you? Was it 71lbs?

And the tennis shoe thing.... If I remember right, and I do, UPS makes a big deal out of wearing sturdy WORKING shoes. I'm sure you know that, so it shouldn't be a suprise you are being send home.

So, really now, IMO you are at fault here.

Next time if kids jump from a bridge, you should join them!

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
LOL. I cant stop laughing... You filed a grievance based on having a package or 'hardware' over 70lbs on the belt?? And that went through?? What kinda whimp are you? Was it 71lbs?

And the tennis shoe thing.... If I remember right, and I do, UPS makes a big deal out of wearing sturdy WORKING shoes. I'm sure you know that, so it shouldn't be a suprise you are being send home.

Contract states no Over70' on the belt

JaxUPSHub

Contract states no Over70' on the belt

Agreed. If this happens for than once file a grievance.. But if this happens once, just talk to your sup.

---------

keep in mind this poster is also the one complaining about the gravel parking lot.. Maybe he should file a grievance for that as well? While he's at it, it is raining today, that is clearly UPS's fault. File a grieavance. Oh, and the tennis shoes he put on, he was FORCED to put on by his SUP.. FILE A GRIEVANCE..

In so few words, some things can be talked about with your sup.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Agreed. If this happens for than once file a grievance.. But if this happens once, just talk to your sup.

---------

keep in mind this poster is also the one complaining about the gravel parking lot.. Maybe he should file a grievance for that as well? While he's at it, it is raining today, that is clearly UPS's fault. File a grieavance. Oh, and the tennis shoes he put on, he was FORCED to put on by his SUP.. FILE A GRIEVANCE..

In so few words, some things can be talked about with your sup.

I agree with everything you've said....I've never once in the 9 years ive been here had to get a steward..my sup has always been cool with me

UnconTROLLed

perfection
How'd an over 70 get into the belt system?

Some :censored2: Teamster unloaded it and another :censored2: sorted it.

So in essence you are filling against the Teamsters, not UPS. So how does wearing tennis shoes to work fufill vengenace against the Teamsters who screwed you?

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
How'd an over 70 get into the belt system?

Some :censored2: Teamster unloaded it and another :censored2: sorted it.

So in essence you are filling against the Teamsters, not UPS. So how does wearing tennis shoes to work fufill vengenace against the Teamsters who screwed you?

You make some good points but its also the sups responsibility to remind the unloaders/sorters not to put O/70's on the belts

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You make some good points but its also the sups responsibility to remind the unloaders/sorters not to put O/70's on the belts

Correct. But you know and I know that is not going to stop them from coming down the belts.

And the ironic part is, if there is one thing that UPS does not want, it is irregs and over 70s in the belt system. There is really nothing to gain by doing that (unless you are in a hub and there are not enough markers/spa/handlers)

Instead of complaining to a sup or to safety, complain directly to the numbnuts who is unloading them. When I was on the aisle that is who I would voice the complaints to. There were always one or two offenders, it was rarely everyone doing it.

It seems to me to be a flawed logic involved here, that is the bottom line.

no we get 98lbs and 120lbs and **** on our belt on a regular occasion. i went to my pt sup the first time, went to my ft sup the next few times and nothing was done about it. the hardware and tennis shoe thing are two completely different things.

the way i was looking at it, why can they send me home but just tell everyone else not to do it. they got a slap on the wrist and got to work their 4 hours the other day where as i got sent home and got no hours. there were over a dozen people working in regular shoes yet i was the only one to be sent home because of it(never gotten a warning or written up or nothing, just straight to getting sent home). do you not see where im coming from? im not attesting the fact that i had on the wrong shoes, but if your gonna punish one, all should be punished.

So in essence you are filling against the Teamsters, not UPS.

no actually the hardware grievance was filed against the unload\sort aisle FT sup for allowing it to be placed on the belt. My part time would call over the radio and notify unload that they were being sent out, unload would acknowledge my sup and say they would put a stop to it and 30 mins later bam 120lbs. i didnt file on the first night, i actually let it go on for a few weeks while trying to get my FT or PT sup to put a stop to it.