got sent home

City Driver

congratulations columbia you are officialy on managements radar

if they singled you out and only sent you home for something everyone was doing, thats pretty much all it can mean

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Do they still have stop buttons on the belt? Just wondering this button would be better used then wearing shoes that are unsafe.... JMO

P.s. remember to live by the rules not break them,,,,, stop the belt and eventually it will stop.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
When you choose to fight against a particular infraction and go as far as filing a grievance you need to make sure you have your ducks in a row. The problem may be grievable but they are going to look at the things you do that aren't following procedure. It's kind of like you want to point out what they're doing wrong but you expect them to overlook what you're doing wrong. If it wasn't the tennis shoes it would be something else. I'm not saying don't try to fix the problem, but make sure your house is clean before you try to point out someone else's dirt.

M

Mike23

My understanding is that if you're in the depot you can essentially wear whatever you want? UPS doesn't supply our shoes (boot allowance). If they want you to wear a specific type of shoe, in the contract, it says they need to supply you with the proper equipment. Well, if they aren't will to provide you with the shoes they want, isn't that not providing proper equipment?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My understanding is that if you're in the depot you can essentially wear whatever you want? UPS doesn't supply our shoes (boot allowance). If they want you to wear a specific type of shoe, in the contract, it says they need to supply you with the proper equipment. Well, if they aren't will to provide you with the shoes they want, isn't that not providing proper equipment?

You may wish to read the uniform policy and then perhaps come back and edit your post.

Osprey413

Bull**** Coordinator

It may be different in the Great White North, but down here in Texas we do things differently. Employees are required to supply their own shoes, which must be "sturdy leather uppers with a non slip sole". Anything less and you get sent home or a warning letter for working unsafe. In the Dallas building we would put a training supervisor in the guard shack and simply turn away anyone in the wrong shoes before they even got in the door.

It's also a common and easy infraction for management to file on you. Safety violations tend to be slam dunk cases in union meetings. You are either working safe, or not.

M

Mike23

You may wish to read the uniform policy and then perhaps come back and edit your post.

Article 24: Uniforms and Special Clothing

Required uniforms and other special clothing shall be furnished and maintained, including cleaning, by the employer. Employees must comply strictly with the employer rules and regulations concerning personal grooming and appearance and wearing of uniform and accessories. Shirts shall be furnished by the employer and maintained by the employee.

24.2 is about the socks and shorts rule.

If they require us to wear a certain type of shoe, it therefore becomes uniform, does it not? Which falls under being furnished by the employer?

Sorry, weirdo Canada contract :D

M

Mike23

It may be different in the Great White North, but down here in Texas we do things differently. Employees are required to supply their own shoes, which must be "sturdy leather uppers with a non slip sole". Anything less and you get sent home or a warning letter for working unsafe. In the Dallas building we would put a training supervisor in the guard shack and simply turn away anyone in the wrong shoes before they even got in the door.

It's also a common and easy infraction for management to file on you. Safety violations tend to be slam dunk cases in union meetings. You are either working safe, or not.

I know COMPANY policy is black or brown polished shoes on road. I dunno about in the hub. I know we don't have a 'steel toe' regulation in the Canadian contract so, honestly, without that you can essentially wear anything since if it's not steel toe it won't protect you at all from dropping or stubbing a toe.

Osprey413

Bull**** Coordinator
I know COMPANY policy is black or brown polished shoes on road. I dunno about in the hub. I know we don't have a 'steel toe' regulation in the Canadian contract so, honestly, without that you can essentially wear anything since if it's not steel toe it won't protect you at all from dropping or stubbing a toe.

Company policy for inside workers is sturdy leather uppers with a non slip sole. Color does not matter, but it's almost impossible to find a shoe with "sturdy leather uppers" that is not in black or brown. This eliminates tennis shoes, most dress shoes, and many hiking boots. We would check shoes to see if they had uppers made entirely out of leather, or if it was some kind of fabric. In most cases, if it was fabric you were sent home, with the exception of most "combat" boots.

US contract also does not require steel toe for either drivers or inside employees. Drivers are required to wear black or brown shoe, but I can not remember if it has to be sturdy leather uppers as well.

As far as the company furnishing shoes for employees, shoes are considered personal attire. If you were to apply that theory the company would also have to purchase all the insiders shirts, shorts, pants, etc. because we have guidelines on those as well (shirts must have sleeves, cant have baggy clothing, no holes, etc.).

cronic5

I have been working for UPS for about 21 months now, and I have worn regular tennis shoes since day one. Oddly enough, I've never had a single comment on them. I wear shorts year round, and they are distinctly tennis shoes, no mistaking them.

However, when anyone in my area, or anyone I've seen wears anything but boots, they get sent home.

I've only had one injury since working there, and it had nothing to do with my shoes. I've had my sort manager see my shoes and had nothing said. I work in the unload, where obviously it COULD pose a problem, but I've never injured my feet or toes. Call me stupid, but I prefer to wear tennis shoes. The one or two times I've worn boots I found my feet feeling unprotected. My tennis shoes are the only way I will work.

I am not really sure what I am trying to say with this post, but if your supervisor says something about it, then do it. You are there to listen to your supervisor, not make your own rules. If my supervisor told me to get boots I would do it right away. If I get sent home it's my OWN fault and I know it. I am not going to point out that other people aren't wearing boots. Maybe they've been talked to in private, or maybe you're just not well liked. Whatever it is, don't push it off as "Well he can do it so why can't I?"

doogapf

I have been working for UPS for about 21 months now, and I have worn regular tennis shoes since day one. Oddly enough, I've never had a single comment on them. I wear shorts year round, and they are distinctly tennis shoes, no mistaking them.

However, when anyone in my area, or anyone I've seen wears anything but boots, they get sent home.

I've only had one injury since working there, and it had nothing to do with my shoes. I've had my sort manager see my shoes and had nothing said. I work in the unload, where obviously it COULD pose a problem, but I've never injured my feet or toes. Call me stupid, but I prefer to wear tennis shoes. The one or two times I've worn boots I found my feet feeling unprotected. My tennis shoes are the only way I will work.

Sounds like you're running your scissors, and your spineless management team is playing russian roulette.

Do yourself a favor and find a good pair of boots that you can comfortably move around in, before you end up like a former coworker of mine with a 40 lbs pipe breaking through an inferior pack and going through his shoe into his toes.

I got gigged for the same thing.. My PT sup had been telling me for a year literally that my solid leather tennis shoes did not work.. They were a solid leather upper with sturdy toe, much more rigid than the other unloader.. She said because they were grey, they were "sneakers", and not what was required.. I gave in last month and bought some sketchers work tennis shoes with the steel toe.. They are very comfortable, and I get to wear "sneakers" with nothing she can do... I actually have been wearing them everywhere, even when not working..

M

Mike23

How sturdy is sturdy though? I mean steel toes with steel shanks? Hard leather? Pretty vague, isn't it?

How sturdy is sturdy though? I mean steel toes with steel shanks? Hard leather? Pretty vague, isn't it?

I agree completely! My tennis shoe's are gray Nike, all leather, with a plastic part in the toe to hold the shape, and non skid soles.. The sups shoes are brown suede with a toe that wont stay up under its own power, and the same style bottom as mine.. When I questioned what made hers acceptable, and mine not, she says "Mine are boots, yours are sneakers". It seems that it is left up to the sups discretion what is acceptable, and what is not.

I would never point out a fellow teamster, but I did have to hold back laughter when another driver(good friend and 4 wheeling buddy) walked in as we were discussing my shoes. She said "His shoes are what you need" The funny part is that our shoes were the same shoe except his were black and mine were gray.. I didn't point it out, but we both walked out to the belt grinning about the comment..

I was never sent home, but was told daily that if the full time sup came to our building and saw my shoes, I would be in trouble. I needed a new pair of shoes anyway, so I just got the sketchers. I have driven the past 2 weeks, and been wearing them to drive.. They can't be polished, but neither can any of the other drivers shoes at our place.. Here is what I got.. They can be had in brown or blue, and are very comfortable..

skech315530_29395_jb.jpg

quick stupid question from this ISer , but first, thanks for all the hard work you folks in operations do {no, ain't kissin butt or anything, just that y'all [for the most part] kick butt out there!). anyway, are the male drivers officially allowed to wear eaeeing(s) when working? not talking about for religious reasons or anything, but just in a normal sense. reason i ask is they have this rule in IS that guys can't wear earring(s).

Osprey413

Bull**** Coordinator
quick stupid question from this ISer , but first, thanks for all the hard work you folks in operations do {no, ain't kissin butt or anything, just that y'all [for the most part] kick butt out there!). anyway, are the male drivers officially allowed to wear eaeeing(s) when working? not talking about for religious reasons or anything, but just in a normal sense. reason i ask is they have this rule in IS that guys can't wear earring(s).

That is correct, male drivers can not wear earrings. We have issued warning letters over drivers wearing earrings before.

Check with your full-time regarding driver appearance. I can't recall the exact wording, but the basic idea is:
1. Must be either clean shaven, or a mustache that can not extend past the corners of the mouth.
2. Hair can not touch the collar of your shirt.
3. Undershirts must be either white or brown.
4. Shoes must be polishable black or brown leather.
5. No visible piercings including earrings. (this may apply for women too. the rule is in place not only for appearance, but also security. banning all jewelry makes it difficult to get out of the center with stolen jewelry)
6. No visible tattoos.