got the job, now im not sure if i want it

rzasharp33

So I went through a week of training for the seasonal driver position and passed all the tests. The Supervisor at my designated location just left me a VM and it dawned on me: I don't think I even want to take the position. There are obviously no guarantees they will keep me on after the holidays are through, especially considering I was in a training course with about 20 other people (a course which runs weekly) I'm sure there are a ton of other drivers wanting to stay on after peak is over. Basically I would be looking for another job in a couple of months. Plus to be honest the thought of driving that big truck around all day doesn't seem appealing to me. Does anyone have any thoughts on the inside warehouse positions? Maybe I would be better suited for that :dissapointed:

Box Ox

Does anyone have any thoughts on the inside warehouse positions? Maybe I would be better suited for that :dissapointed:

At my center you'd be a seasonal preloader making a little more than 1/3 of a temp driver's salary and still be competing for a permanent preload spot. If you've got a solid permanent job opportunity with another company right now you should take it. But UPS has already invested money in your temp driver training and might invest more in your replacement so don't be surprised if you're put on the no hire blacklist.

PT Car Washer

Why does every seasonal think the job is going to turn into a permanent position? After spending this much time and expense training you I can't believe UPS would just give you a job inside.

rzasharp33

Why does every seasonal think the job is going to turn into a permanent position? After spending this much time and expense training you I can't believe UPS would just give you a job inside.

because every step of the way they put that into your head
"work hard and stand out" was said more times than I can count
many of the trainers I met with over the week told the stories of "so and so started as a seasonal hire 30 years ago" etc
now obviously im not that naïve but like I said its obvious they want you to bust your ***** for a couple months and after that what happens happens

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
The job sucks blah blah blah, go and find something that suits you much better and is much less of a waste of time for you. Who cares what we think, we're not co workers.

The Driver

I drive.
So I went through a week of training for the seasonal driver position and passed all the tests. The Supervisor at my designated location just left me a VM and it dawned on me: I don't think I even want to take the position. There are obviously no guarantees they will keep me on after the holidays are through, especially considering I was in a training course with about 20 other people (a course which runs weekly) I'm sure there are a ton of other drivers wanting to stay on after peak is over. Basically I would be looking for another job in a couple of months. Plus to be honest the thought of driving that big truck around all day doesn't seem appealing to me. Does anyone have any thoughts on the inside warehouse positions? Maybe I would be better suited for that :dissapointed:

Did you go to Integrad?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
"work hard and stand out" was said more times than I can count
many of the trainers I met with over the week told the stories of "so and so started as a seasonal hire 30 years ago" etc
now obviously im not that naïve but like I said its obvious they want you to bust your ***** for a couple months and after that what happens happens
did you think this job was gonna be easy? Whatever, walmart's hiring I think....

"work hard and make my numbers stand out" was said more times than I can count

I think you misheard him. Fixed it for you.

I hear the fast food industry is hiring and has several different positions that will suit your needs!

JL 0513

Of course you're going to be looking for another job after peak. That's why it's called "seasonal".

Even the new permanent drivers who have made seniority face being laid off by February.

I wonder how long it takes a seasonal to become a permanent when it takes 5-10 years for a regular part timer to get the spot. I don't know how that works. Could someone explain that?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Volume ,,,and who wants to do it!! I worked at peak in one building on the twi , let go after peak ,then got hired in another building the next year in Jan after peak as a driver!! you never know !! I did 2 months inside then fulltime driver for past 25 years,still waiting for that temp layoff !! LOL LOl