Government Motors

klein

Für Meno :)
Is it Time to Trade General Motors (NYSE:GM)?

It's a new year, and analysts are adjusting their opinions on stocks and sectors. This week, Goldman Sachs (GS) expressed a bit of optimism on the newly resuscitated General Motors (NYSE:GM), initiating coverage on the stock with a "buy" rating.
The covering analyst set a 12-month price target of $43, representing about 16% of upside from current levels. He noted, "GM is ideally positioned to take advantage of the cyclical … and secular auto demand opportunities" and added, "we think the stage is set for profitability not seen since the 1970s, which is not fully discounted in the shares."

klein

This thread is pretty old - Because the right-wingers can't opoligize that they were wrong all along on this topic ?
GM moving steady ahead ! :

Volt wins 2011 North American Car of the Year award at Detroit show

By Jeff Karoub, The Associated Press

DETROIT - The 2011 Chevrolet Volt got another marketing jolt Monday, when it received the North American Car of the Year award.
The car that runs on electricity for 65 kilometres before a backup gas engine kicks in beat out the Nissan Leaf, another electric, and Hyundai Sonata in the annual ceremony on the first day of media previews for the Detroit Auto Show.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
and it's sales are just so great, only one buyer to date, uncle sam.
Is this to become the new people's car , like germany's vw bug.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I couldn't drive to work and make it back home in a Chevy Volt with its limited battery power. The Nissan Leaf is supposed to go a hundred miles on one charge and is cheaper. GM's profits are doing better because they are shutting plants down and laying off workers, not because of great car sales.

klein

The Nissan Leaf, doesn't have a gas engine though. Battery dies, it's dead.
The Volt will kick in the gas engine.

The Nissan Leaf would only be a second car here, for city driving, and short distances.
100 miles is nothing.

Here I have travelled 300 miles before I came across another gas station in the Rockies. (almost ran out of gas, I must admit, too). - scary !
Whereby, the Volt will recharge itself once on gas, and when that halfway empties out, you get another 50 miles worth on electrity, then back to gas, and back to electricty. AWESOME !

Plus the Volt has more HP and higher top speed (103 mph)

Last edited:

brett636

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q4/2011_chevrolet_volt_full_test-road_test

The economic picture is dimmer when operating the Volt using its gas engine. We averaged 35 mpg for our gas-powered miles and saw 33–34 mpg at a steady, near-80-mph cruise—not exactly spectacular compared with today’s hybrids.
Thats just full of fail IMO. I can buy a new Jetta TDI and still have $15k to buy fuel with all the while getting that same mpg in the city with far better on the highway. Its failure of a car already, and its barely out of the gate.

klein

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q4/2011_chevrolet_volt_full_test-road_test

Thats just full of fail IMO. I can buy a new Jetta TDI and still have $15k to buy fuel with all the while getting that same mpg in the city with far better on the highway. Its failure of a car already, and its barely out of the gate.

How can you get more city milage, if you only use electrity ? $1.60 will get you 50 miles (surely enough to get to work and back, with some stops inbetween).

klein

Ford has you covered.
http://www.ford.com

Its amazing what a car company can produce when it actually has to be profitable.

No doubt ! :

GM becomes top-selling foreign automaker in China

SHANGHAI, China -- General Motors Corp. became China's top-selling foreign automaker last year, surpassing Germany's Volkswagen AG, after seeing its sales grow 35.2 percent to 665,390 vehicles, according to company figures released Thursday.

From The Detroit News

Canada Won’t Sell GM Stake In IPO… What About The US?

The CBC reports that:
Ontario premier Dalton McGuinty said Friday his government will wait to see how General Motors prices its public share offering before deciding whether to sell its stake in the company.

McGuinty said the government needs to be “patient” and sell at the most profitable time.
The Canadian and Ontario governments own about 12 percent of GM. The US Treasury, which owns about 60 percent of GM has said that it expects to sell “some” of its GM stake during the IPO, which is expected to occur by the end of this year. In short, as Ken Elias predicts, GM won’t stop being “Government Motors” after it goes public. No matter how emphatically Ed Whitacre declares victory.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Haulover Beach, Florida

America’s Best Clothing Optional Beach
How many have you gone to?

(and I have been there a couple of times) :)
No kidding...im sure we would have never guessed that you would go to a nude beach. Did you bring some booze and gifts to hand out?

Could post pics, but that's against TOS.
Thank God!!!!
The pic in my avatar is the entry warning, that you may encounter nude people and that clothing is optional.

klein

Always bring a 6 pack of beer to the beach ! - no candy, had some pork rinds (cracklins) to snack on though.

Nudy Beaches aren't everywhere, unlike in Europe.
Gee, most city pools have nudy days, or the sauna , anytime, is nude only (they say out of health reasons - no clothing - and yes, men + women in it).

The city river banks in every European City, are full with topless or nude people all the time during summer months.

That's what I was accustomed to, before I moved back to Canada.
I gone nudy beaching in the Bahamas, at night in Mexico and in Florida (night only).

During the day, only where it's allowed (Sunny Isle Beach - Haulover Beach - same place).

moreluck

golden ticket member
The other way it's pronounced "nutty" and I thought you meant the beaches were loaded with nuts!!..Pecans, cashews, filberts, macadamia, walnut, etc