GPS Device Recommendations

mcutrono

Can anyone recommend a good gps device that will allow you to put your stops in it so it will route you out?

Thx in advance

!Retired!

Express - Electronic devices are not allowed while operating a FedEx vehicle
Ground - Do whatever you want

That said, there is no GPS device that puts your stops in order, that I know of. If you want to download a program onto your phone, go to the Google PlayStore and search for 'route planner'. Have fun typing in 100-200 stops each day.

Express Courier

Also I'd like to add that I've put 100+ stops in by voice in about 10 minutes. (say the address and zip) Good tool for swings. Way faster than highlighter on a map and the dot gets put on the house. And you can put it in route order. Good Day.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
HD has this Garmin GPS integration (needs apps icon on it = trip planner) & recommend to get a micro sd card in it as well to boost the internal memory.

If you're in a rural route with spotty cellphone reception, it's more reliable

FedEx ground vrp pc downloads all of the stops of the day to your Garmin via usb-micro plug cable in less than a few minutes. But it isn't perfect.

I delete the misplots off and save, so it can re optimize it.

Cool that I can skip stops on the fly if the trace sucks & service my b2b stops that has bankers hours first.

Oh, but you're express, Soo nevermind

rod

Retired 22 years
They've just about got the fleet of monkeys trained for delivering out of their fleet of self driving trucks. Don't waste your money on all that tech crap---you are being replaced soon anyway.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
If you want to download a program onto your phone, go to the Google PlayStore and search for 'route planner'. Have fun typing in 100-200 stops each day.

Yep. Then near the end of the day you realize that you forgot to input one or more addresses that you drove by 40 miles ago.

rod

Retired 22 years
But, at express, don't you loop around the same area at least 3x a day due to various commit times?

At UPS that's what I always had to do. Some days it was even more when they would drop stuff off for me that had come in on a late plane.

McFeely

Huge Member
But, at express, don't you loop around the same area at least 3x a day due to various commit times?

Depends on the route. I do my route two times and then a small chunk during pups. A route with 4:30 P1 commits likely tries to straight line the route in one shot.

That being said, I learned all my maps by a dry-erase marker and a laminated map. Quickest way to memorize them. If you’re a swing, I used Route4Me with pretty good success on areas I’m not familiar with.

Star B

White Lightening
It all depends on your area. There are some areas the route mappers/planners do not work due to poor mapping data. I've found Road Warrior works the best.

I don't ask it to route it for me or use the GPS though, I just use it as a 'map dotter'. That way I can still learn the streets by going "Okay, down 5th ave, right, left, after second street on left".

That being said, I learned all my maps by a dry-erase marker and a laminated map. Quickest way to memorize them. If you’re a swing, I used Route4Me with pretty good success on areas I’m not familiar with.

This right here is the most cost effective way to go. Use google maps or whatever to plot your stops before you head out and then you have the big picture and can route yourself. This way you learn your route faster and won't be wasting time plugging away at the gps after every stop. even if you're a temp its worth it to do this. gps is good to get you out of a jam once in a while or to get around an unfamiliar area, but they can bite you in the as$.

Kerri

Can anyone recommend a good gps device that will allow you to put your stops in it so it will route you out?

Thx in advance

Yes there is, I had one on my phone but my phone crashed and I haven't needed it since but I think it was "route4u" dont quote me on that though...also do a search on "route planner" Someone said there is not a program that will put it in order for you, this is not true...you may have figured that out by now...but I swore by this program. I am going to see if I can find it for you and come back - just realized 'sir digby chicken' said 'route4me' i looked that up and that wasnt the one i had...ugh