GPS on our power pads?

optikz

saw a notice posted all around our station today that GPS has been enabled on our power pads. any other stations have GPS on? guess they want to be like the post office and ups and know where you are scanning your packages.

dmac1

saw a notice posted all around our station today that GPS has been enabled on our power pads. any other stations have GPS on? guess they want to be like the post office and ups and know where you are scanning your packages.
UPS delivered a package of mine to a house with the same address 2 blks away(21st St instead of 23rd) and were able to tell me that it was missdelivered, and not stolen off my porch.

optikz

UPS delivered a package of mine to a house with the same address 2 blks away(21st St instead of 23rd) and were able to tell me that it was missdelivered, and not stolen off my porch.
I'm sure that is part of the plan but also to cut back on falsifying

DRAisawesome

100% confirmation on this. At this point ops management cannot see anything. It looks like they are trying to figure out "at stop time." It can monitor speed but isn't for that yet.

Unfortunately I think if people start driving the speed limit. This could actually slow down productivity. But I think it will bring up a lot of the slackers so all in all I think it's good. Will put everyone on the same page.

optikz

100% confirmation on this. At this point ops management cannot see anything. It looks like they are trying to figure out "at stop time." It can monitor speed but isn't for that yet.

Unfortunately I think if people start driving the speed limit. This could actually slow down productivity. But I think it will bring up a lot of the slackers so all in all I think it's good. Will put everyone on the same page.

so it's in the early stages right now? I'm assuming we will hear about time at stretch and flex tomorrow.

SmithBarney

LOL Optikz I'm gonna say it's a scare tactic right now, because currently a typical 8hr route with GPS on, the battery will be dead by noon. Mine was at 10% at 3pm(130stops/9hrs(7on road))

They had this issue early on with the PPADS as some were on by default(windows op system in the background)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

USPS has been doing it for awhile. They call it "geotracking" and I had the same experience as the person with the UPS mis-delivery. They were able to tell me the carrier delivered it 10 blocks away...never got the package.

The PowerPads have been selectively enabled by management to nab people falsifying. I know a courier who was terminated several years ago for entering a delay code off the premises of the very large recipient with whom FedEx has negotiated a delivery extension. They were able to prove it via the GPS on the PowerPad.

!Retired!

No word on that here. But, doesn't make a difference to me.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The PowerPads have been selectively enabled by management to nab people falsifying. I know a courier who was terminated several years ago for entering a delay code off the premises of the very large recipient with whom FedEx has negotiated a delivery extension. They were able to prove it via the GPS on the PowerPad.

He was also probably driving the "special" truck that you said was bugged and fitted with a hidden camera.

Star B

White Lightening
Dano -- I could see what MFE says. Every single time a PPAD reboots, if you watch the boot script, you'll see "ADDING GPS TO QUEUE" (or some variation of it).

Some of MFEs ideas are far-fetched. Mgmt being able to turn on the GPS on your PPAD is well within the realm of possibilities.

This also explains the new firmware load on the PPADs recently.

whatwhat

We received a handout explaining what they turned on and why. Pretty much it takes GPS snapshot every minute, and a snapshot when you del a pkg and at pups. It says mgmt can't see it for the time being, the only people that can is the engineers. It doesn't stay on for the whole day, his those quick snapshots. It says it doesn't record speed, but you could figure out how fast someone is going by taking a look at the snapshots and see if it's possible to get from point a to point b within the speed limits, since it records a location every minute.

fedex_rtd

Not a big deal, unless you are doing stuff you should not be doing.

Heavyweight drivers have had GPS in our rigs for years now. To me it is a plus, as I no longer get asked why I was so late getting to a station or ramp. When my GPS shows I'm doing 20mph on the freeway, that stops the questions about lates, in a heartbeat.

dezguy

Dano -- I could see what MFE says. Every single time a PPAD reboots, if you watch the boot script, you'll see "ADDING GPS TO QUEUE" (or some variation of it).

Some of MFEs ideas are far-fetched. Mgmt being able to turn on the GPS on your PPAD is well within the realm of possibilities.

This also explains the new firmware load on the PPADs recently.
I can confirm management has the ability to turn on the GPS on your PPAD if they want to. Had a manager tell me that, in the event of an emergency where they courier hasn't had any activity or reported to dispatch, GPS can be enabled to figure out where the courier/truck is. I'm sure it could be turned on for a non emergency.

vantexan

As to battery life we're supposed to get new power pads early next year, forgot their new name. I'm betting they'll be looking at gap times and checking where we were at that time. Which is fine but as an older guy I'll have to explain all the restroom trips.

El Morado Diablo

As to battery life we're supposed to get new power pads early next year, forgot their new name. I'm betting they'll be looking at gap times and checking where we were at that time. Which is fine but as an older guy I'll have to explain all the restroom trips.

Just use a diagnostic bag and bring it back to the station. That's what one of our courier's did on an extended route. No explanations needed.... ;)

vantexan

Just use a diagnostic bag and bring it back to the station. That's what one of our courier's did on an extended route. No explanations needed.... ;)
LOL, if out in the country I use a large soda cup and throw the liquid out the door. But like all couriers I know where the clean restrooms are on the route.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Not a big deal, unless you are doing stuff you should not be doing.

Heavyweight drivers have had GPS in our rigs for years now. To me it is a plus, as I no longer get asked why I was so late getting to a station or ramp. When my GPS shows I'm doing 20mph on the freeway, that stops the questions about lates, in a heartbeat.

Right. I don't think it stops the stupid questions.