green checks

mikesouder

I have been waiting for over a week now for my vacation check. I was told that UPS will give me a green check today. What does that mean?????

atatbl

It will be a live check. Even if you normally get direct-deposit it will not be a direct-deposit. Also, it is issued separately from a normal payroll payout.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OK. I heard that UPS had to pay you extra if your check is late. Is that true?

Only if you grieve it.

Was this vacation scheduled and they simply messed up and didn't pay you or was it a last minute thing where there was no time to cut you a check before you went on vacation? Vacation checks are normally issued two weeks before you go on vacation (it used to be only one week). This was changed in the last contract and is to ensure that the funds are in place before you go on vacation and gives them time to issue another check if there was an issue with the original before you go on vacation. Payroll errors brought to their attention (that is key) must be corrected in the following week's pay; if the error is not, this is where the pay extra if your check is late comes in to play but only if you notify the company of the original error and subsequent failure to correct the error.

It sounds to me like you took this vacation as a spur of the moment thing and the company did not have time to issue you a standard check which is why they are issuing you the green check. It also sounds as though you may be out of luck as far as any penalty pay is concerned.

mikesouder

I put the vacation request in 90 prior to my vacation. The request was approved, but never submitted to payroll (an error on the hub managers part)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I put the vacation request in 90 prior to my vacation. The request was approved, but never submitted to payroll (an error on the hub managers part)

OK--did you receive your green check today? If not, you should grieve this and should be entitled to double the amount of the check as it was not corrected by the following pay period.
If you did receive the green check today you have no further recourse.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
OK--did you receive your green check today? If not, you should grieve this and should be entitled to double the amount of the check as it was not corrected by the following pay period.
If you did receive the green check today you have no further recourse.

First of all, the vacation check is not technically late until the day before your vacation. After that The company has only 2 working days to correct the shortage, if more than $30, once notified. If not corrected on the second work day, you are entitled to 1/2 your hourly guarantee at strait time pay, for every pay period after that, that it is not corrected. They also must send it to you NDA Saturday delivery if you request it.

Article 17 of the National Master, page 44.

Upstate is way off on this one.

JonFrum

Article 17 --- Paid for Time
. . .
Wages for properly selected vacations, in all instances, will be paid to the employees no later than the workday prior to their vacation. If the employee does not receive his/her vacation check, the Employer will make all reasonable efforts to provide the check the following day including delivery by Saturday or Next Day Air. Other shortages involving more than thirty dollars ($30.00) for full-time employees, and fifteen dollars ($15.00) for part-time employees, will be corrected and the payment will be made available to the employee at his/her reporting location on his/her second scheduled workday after reporting the shortage. If the Employer fails to make the payment available on the employee’s second scheduled workday and the shortage was the result of the Employer’s error, the employee will be paid an additional amount equal to one-half (1/2) of his/her daily guarantee at his/her regular hourly rate for every full pay period in which the shortage is not paid after the second (2nd) scheduled work day, until corrected.

Errors of less than thirty dollars ($30.00) for full-time employees or fifteen dollars ($15.00) for part-time employees and overages will be corrected in the following weekly paycheck.
. . .
All employees must receive their vacation pay in a separate check before taking vacation. Vacation checks for an employee, who is taking a properly scheduled vacation in accordance with the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum, will be at the operating center on Monday of the week prior to the employee’s vacation week(s). This is to ensure that the employee receives his/her pay prior to taking his/her vacation. The employee will be shown his/her check upon request, but will not receive the check until the regular scheduled pay day.

All green checks will be taxed at the employee’s regular withholding tax rate.
. . .