Greensboro Update

bluntforce

I have not seen any change in volume, nor have I heard of any other couriers noticing a reduction yet. I do think however, that it is very early in the process.
Two top level executives flew in this morning to see first hand what was going on and to meet with couriers during the morning huddle. All we heard from them was the same talking points we have been hearing for the past month.
-Nobody would be losing their job, although some route adjustments would have to be made.
-When Fedex dropped amazon and their 200,000 pckgs a day, nobody lost their job.
-This is a crucial move to increase the profitibility of fedex and to be able to compete with competitors, provide jobs and hand out pay raises.
-We are doing this to open up capacity for premium services.
-Our meeting with them lasted maybe 20 minutes.
I will end it with this, when I was leaving this afternoon, I saw a 53' ground trailer being backed up to one of our docks next to a 28' ground trailer. Maybe it's just coincidence that there are 2 ground trailers at our facility, when I normally don't see any. Time will tell.

SmithBarney

I pupped 10 pieces heading out of town(from the GSOR area) with the QXXXXQ URSA so it's much more than the GSOR market that is being used for this final mile stuff.

zeev

Test over it’s full on saw a paper n break room giving new astra codes had a visit from 4 higher ups first time n decades and this was on the night side where rarely see a manager.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Test over it’s full on saw a paper n break room giving new astra codes had a visit from 4 higher ups first time n decades and this was on the night side where rarely see a manager.

GSO was nothing but a smokescreen to show they were "testing". Sorry, but this decision was made long ago and this dog and pony show is strictly PR for employees who don't trust FedEx management.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
GSO was nothing but a smokescreen to show they were "testing". Sorry, but this decision was made long ago and this dog and pony show is strictly PR for employees who don't trust FedEx management.

LOL. They made it clear - Greensboro is the initial launch market and the main point is to see what problems (tech, logistics, whatever) arise so that they can be addressed before this is rolled out to more stations.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
LOL. They made it clear - Greensboro is the initial launch market and the main point is to see what problems (tech, logistics, whatever) arise so that they can be addressed before this is rolled out to more stations.

Sure thing, OK. We all know FedEx management is completely honest and transparent.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Thanks for insight that could only come from someone who has no relation to the company and knows nothing about what's going on. Really helps!

I don't work at FedEx any longer, but I get a lot of input from friends and associates who still labor for Fred. Their take is that GSO was presented to them as a Beta test, as in it wasn't a for-sure deal that Ground was being used to deliver Express freight.

In other words, FDX was still "considering it", even though you and I both know this has literally been planned for years, so, of course, it was going to happen.

Hope springs eternal among the dwindling number of Purple People.

I anxiously await the court case(s) where FDX tries to explain that their in-house opco is "independent". LOFL.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Thanks for insight that could only come from someone who has no relation to the company and knows nothing about what's going on. Really helps!
I suppose you’re in the loop only ‘cause Fred lets you in on company secrets while you give him a sponge bath.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I don't work at FedEx any longer, but I get a lot of input from friends and associates who still labor for Fred.

Ah, the "I am very well connected" trope returns!

I anxiously await the court case(s) where FDX tries to explain that their in-house opco is "independent". LOFL.

Straw man argument. Independence, or a lack thereof, is irrelevant. And again, I appreciate your concession that you don't know enough about the issue to discuss it.

fatboy33

We just had a PTer quit and 2 full timers have decided to retire before this years peak. Management said they are uncertain if those employees will be replaced or routes absorbed. I hope for the latter.

HedleyLamarr

Funny how quickly life can change. A week ago, I was concerned about Ground taking our residentials; today, it is the last thing on my mind. Far bigger things to worry about.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Funny how quickly life can change. A week ago, I was concerned about Ground taking our residentials; today, it is the last thing on my mind. Far bigger things to worry about.

I was in LA on February 24th, Kobe Bryant Day. One would think the world had ended. Wall to wall TV coverage starting at 0400, with Jimmy Kimmel as the host of the 2 hour ceremony. The whole town was obsessed because a "demi-god" had died.

Now? Crickets. Things just got real for a lot of people, just like you said. Kobe isn't even on the radar.

A great basketball player, but you'd think Jesus had just risen or something. Celebrity worship at it's worst.