Greivance

upsgrunt

It takes a big man to call himself dishonest and a liar-just leave me out of it. This is all your baby; you brought yours to driving from your previous management position. Perhaps the "other drivers" you referred to were previously supes also?

No, 3 of them were those bogus greivance filers. One was a drug dealer serving 4 years, One is serving 7 years for molesting his 9 year old niece (they were fired) I could go on if you like.

You have to remember you work for the company not the union. Without the company there is no union.

area43

I have never been sorry the next day for filing a greivance. It's all part of the game.

I'm starting to really like this thread. LOL I couldn't agree with you more 9/5. I do not encourage filing a bogus greivance. Like with anything the greivance proceedure can be abused. I have found out in my 22 yrs that mgt will in fact push the envelope so to speak on an employee that he knows he can get away with it. Filing a greivance in the right way can be a very power tool in changing a sups sometimes questionable practices. Side note. I am totally focusing on geivances and not on warning letters. Tit for Tat can be annoying. UPSers, pick your battles carefully. Again, its like Vegas. Weigh the odds. A good steward, should counsel you on what approach you should take. If at all possible I prefer not to file a greivance. Constantly filing a greivance on anything and everything with little or no dialogue between the sups hurts the greivance process. I believe in my opinion, the greivance will lose its punch to some degree. I seen this happen. Kind of like crying wolf all the time.

In closing, as I have stated before I am for the non confrontational approach. Filing a greivance does not mean your a bad empoyee. Its a last result. It can be constructive. Its a way of documenting an incident, keeping a so called legal file perphaps on a violation. We all know how bad a sups memory can be at times. Also you might be surprised, that the sups might respect you a little more. They could actually take you a little more seriously next time. Hopefully there wont be a next time. Folks, there have been great sups and lets say a little more stubborn sups that I have had the pleasure of serving under at my time at UPS. Its the stubborn ones that need a little time behind the wood shed so to speak. wink, wink. ( ;

dillweed

"I had a preloader who was very negative towards most people........so I filed a grevance to have this guy taken off our drop."

Brownedout,
What article did management violate by putting one of their own employees to load your car?
Which article did they violate? I don't understand how a greivance fixed this.
What did the Union say when you effectively filed against another Teamster?

over 9, if language and attitude get too rough a person should speak up. There's a handy little "diginty and respect" clause in the contract.

Our union doesn't like to file grievances between employees and will attack management for allowing the crap to go on. It's amazing how pushy and rude some folks are and I've had some pretty good sized guys get in my face and threaten to meet me in the parking lot.. I've been there a long time, know the operation and don't like folks screwing around and making my job harder. They don't much like being told to knock it off. Management is supposed to squash this stuff but they seem to love it. Keep the hourlies at each others' throats and they will be a weaker group.

We're a small center and the group is pretty well behaved. Unfortunately we're getting some new people who want to claim the turf. Some folks, like myself, have no problem fighting back. Sort if wish I could play the game better but never learned the rules. :confused:1

moreluck

golden ticket member
cezanne....right on the spelling. It's been bugging me since this thread first appeared. Thankyou.

The rule is "i" before "e" except after "c" OR when pronounced as "ay" like in neigh and weigh.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
cezanne....right on the spelling. It's been bugging me since this thread first appeared. Thankyou.

The rule is "i" before "e" except after "c" OR when pronounced as "ay" like in neigh and weigh.

There are two great spell-check programs out there. The new upgrade for Mozilla's Firefox browser has one built in. The words with the red dots under them are misspelled, just right click your mouse. For Internet Explorer, go to www.iespell.com for a free download. I use them both too frequently myself.:wink:

Brownnblue

I haven't filed a grievance in almost 21 years of driving. To make a long story short, I would like to have the power of "I HAVE NEVER FILED A GRIEVANCE IN OVER TWENTY YEARS OF EMPLOYMENT, BUT THIS TAKES THE CAKE" behind the first one.

In fairness, most of time it has not been necessary, and the times when I should have filed a grievance but did not was my choice, and I take responsibility.

rod

Retired 22 years
No, 3 of them were those bogus greivance filers. One was a drug dealer serving 4 years, One is serving 7 years for molesting his 9 year old niece (they were fired) I could go on if you like.

You have to remember you work for the company not the union. Without the company there is no union.
Why does one go from being a pt time sup to become a driver? Would you care to venture a guess as to what UPS would be paying for wages and benefits if there was no Union?

Why does one go from being a pt time sup to become a driver? Would you care to venture a guess as to what UPS would be paying for wages and benefits if there was no Union?

I agree the wages are better because of the union. For all full time employees especially management. I went driving because the job is easier. (only have to worry about 1 or 2 trucks. not 80 to 120) It took 2 years to make the hourly wage I was making as a pt sup.

upsgrunt

I agree the wages are better because of the union. For all full time employees especially management. I went driving because the job is easier. (only have to worry about 1 or 2 trucks. not 80 to 120) It took 2 years to make the hourly wage I was making as a pt sup.

So you're saying that management wages are better because of the union? WHAT?

upsgrunt

Sorry, but I don't agree with you. I was always told it is easier than driving, but paid about the same as driving. You say it is harder than driving and pays the same as driving. You confuse me- are you sure you're not still in management?

I'm sure, I pay union dues...Driving gets boring tho...I don't understand why drivers cry soooo much.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
It's a fun game to give an extra 20-30 stops the next day. watch the guy almost have an aneurysm when he finds out. I would just tell the guy to grow some cahonas and do his job. It's still fun to watch drivers act like 2 year olds in the morning.
itseven more fun to bring them back in and see the looks on there faces lol:w00t:

over9five

Staff member
"I don't understand why drivers cry soooo much."

And yet you say you are a driver. You seem to think that every driver except you cries soooooo much. Obviously, your many years as a driver has taught you something the rest of us missed.

So, please enlighten us. I want to learn from your vast experience.

upsgrunt

1. I don't care what others get paid- I worry about what I get paid.
2. Do you think any manager would work for that kind of money?
3. If you weren't challenged by supervision and driving is boring to you, why do you stay? Shouldn't you run for office or something?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I guess the difference is I enjoy change.....Most drivers can't handle change.

Most PEOPLE don't like change. I think you're making a mistake in accusing just one work group of disliking change. In addition, I think you're insulting drivers when you accuse them of not liking change. I worked with a great driver last Peak that had been a swing/cover driver for over 10 years because he liked the challenge and change of running different routes. And no, he wasn't interested in management. He could have had a route years earlier but he bided his time and eventually wound up with one of the best routes in the Center. He told me how many routes he knew but I forget now. UPS is built around predictability and low-risk. Not saying that's a bad thing but some people--drivers included--are willing to take risks. I'm not a driver (I'm a p/t sorter in Colorado) but I do take risks, sans reasonable, well-thought-out and justifiable risks. Make sense? -Rocky