Grievance Questions, Supervisors Working and Harassment

nicky

My rule of thumb is that I have the right to treat them with the same level of respect that I am shown. If he yells at me he should be prepared to get it right back.

Island

I'm in a similar situation. My steward is equally absent. Some of my coworkers have been telling me to attempt to dethrone him and take his place but I'm not interested in that huge burden. Nearly every member of full-time management I've encountered has been evil. I'm not trying to use hyperbole here, they straight-up hate the workers and do what they can to make money and screw us. I have great respect for people who stand up to them and win but I'm not looking for an unpaid full-time job (basically, as a steward) that would be literally bad for my health. That amount of stress isn't good for anybody.
Good luck in your endeavors.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm in a similar situation. My steward is equally absent. Some of my coworkers have been telling me to attempt to dethrone him and take his place but I'm not interested in that huge burden. Nearly every member of full-time management I've encountered has been evil. I'm not trying to use hyperbole here, they straight-up hate the workers and do what they can to make money and screw us. I have great respect for people who stand up to them and win but I'm not looking for an unpaid full-time job (basically, as a steward) that would be literally bad for my health. That amount of stress isn't good for anybody.
Good luck in your endeavors.

not all FT management are evil. I have respected most of the FT management I have encountered, actually.....at least 70 or 80%. They are passing along their own grievances to the worker in the worst cases. I do not respect that part, but "it is how it is" and none of us are going to change it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My rule of thumb is that I have the right to treat them with the same level of respect that I am shown. If he yells at me he should be prepared to get it right back.
Can you explain why you would yell? I am not sitting here saying "never raised my voice once", hardly. I have learned that , when management raises their voices, they either want (1) feeling of unnecessary authority or (2) to escalate a situation w/ witnesses. Neither are options.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I think I have said this a million times on this forum, but here I go again: remain calm, remain calm, remain calm. Keep your cool when you are on the clock. If you work here long enough, you will experience supervisors who have anger issues. Not if, but when. Sounds like you've found one of these guys. Don't forget, UPS is no different than anything else around. You've got normal people, and you've got a sackful of anti-social kangaroos. Many sups whole game plan is too make you lose your cool. This is the one thing you have to avoid. If you lose your cool, your whole case gets lost in your temper tantrum. They do something stupid, you lose your cool, and what they did gets lost in the shuffle.

Keep your cool to avoid this. Stick to the issues. Hell, even laugh at them, just don't lose your cool. Then do what you need to do. File your grievance.

Island

Laughing at my vein-poppin spittle-shootin voice-crackin screaming boss got me threatened with termination. Well, not directly. She told me she was going to fire me because I filed, not because I was staring at her the whole time she was screaming and then laughed when she tried to get all nice and personal after screaming for ten minutes about how I didn't deserve to live.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Laughing at my vein-poppin spittle-shootin voice-crackin screaming boss got me threatened with termination. Well, not directly. She told me she was going to fire me because I filed, not because I was staring at her the whole time she was screaming and then laughed when she tried to get all nice and personal after screaming for ten minutes about how I didn't deserve to live.
Next time she wants to threaten your job for filing grievances, tell her it'll be even worse if you file labor charges for her retaliating against concerted union activity. That usually straightens them out.