grievances

How and should i file a grievance against another fellow sat air driver, who verbally threatened me with violence, meaning they said if they were off clock they would punch me in the face, the reason for this comment is because this person has more seniority then the rest of us and likes to do things their way even if its not right and is holding up 6 other drivers, so i spoke up and said something to them about this and also told them that person i didnt care for them and their one way attitude, all of us drivers do not like this person but i must be the one to get the ball rolling and hope the rest will back me, any answers will do.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Back in the day at a center I worked out of they would take it outside and box it out. Kinda funny when one came back all smashed up, but now you can't do that.

over9five

Staff member
UPS has a zero tolerance policy for workplace violence. That includes verbal threats. You are obligated to report this person to your management team and/or the hotline.

JonFrum

You can file a grievance against another employee by citing this Contract language:

ARTICLE 37. MANAGEMENT EMPLOYEE RELATIONS
Section 1.
(a) . . .Employees will also treat each other as well as the Employer with dignity and respect.

But first read the Workplace Violence poster on the official bulletin board at work. (Not to be confused with the Union bulletin board.) Workplace Violence, and the threat thereof, is a hot topic and once you mention the magic words Management will be obligated to act, and possibly over-react.

That's why my Local President always insists that such matters be taken first to the Union to give the Union the chance to fix the problem without Management involvement. If Management gets involved they may invoke the zero-tolerance rule and fire the offender just to be on the safe side and to protect their butts, even if that is too strong a punishment.

If going to your steward and BA privately isn't enough, then you can file a formal grievance citing violation of Article 37. You can also call the hotline number listed on that bulletin board and report a violation of the Company's Workplace Violence Policy.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I leave the "speaking up to hourlies" to management. If management doesn't react, then I certainly will not.

For 6 drivers being "held up"....gee, were they on the clock, too? You going to persue getting him fired for stealing time as well as picking a fight? It sounds more like the OP is the instigator here.

22.34life

be carefull with stuff like this,you never know how it will play out.Zero tolerance means if ups doesnt like you and you threaten somebody your fired but if they do like you,you will probably keep your job depending on the details of course.In my opinon you should not rat anybody out,handle it like a man outside of work.

well i agree with most of you as i really dont want to report this and to be honest this other person is a chick so the option of goin out to the parking lot isn;t gonna happen even though she acts and wishes she was a man (if u catch my drift) which doesnt bother me, just the fact how she treats us fellow employees because she has more seniority, makes her feel like she has power i guess, just tired of a constant fight on saturdays to make 40 extra bucks a week, looks as though my saturdays are gonna be over for a while

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You cannot file a grievance against an hourly.

You need to inform your management team that this person is creating a hostile work enviornment and let them take the appropriate action. Thats why they are making the big bucks. Whatever disciplinary action they choose to take against this person is not your concern. If they do nothing, then file an Art 37 grievance against the appropriate management. That sounds mean but it isnt; it may very well give them the legal basis that they need to move forward on the issue.

Document everything, and try not to take anything personally. There is a system in place for dealing with this, you need to do your part to allow that system to work.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
be carefull with stuff like this,you never know how it will play out.Zero tolerance means if ups doesnt like you and you threaten somebody your fired but if they do like you,you will probably keep your job depending on the details of course.In my opinon you should not rat anybody out,handle it like a man outside of work.

Its a bad idea to quote the "zero tolerance" policy and then turn around and suggest that the problem be "handled like a man outside of work."

Do some research. Workplace violence does not have to take place on the employers property in order to be treated as such. If you go to a coworkers house and beat the crap out of him over something that happened at work the company has the legal right as well as the responsibility to fire your ass. Otherwise, the person you beat up can sue the company for allowing it to happen.

I dont suggest "ratting anyone out" either...but a better solution would be to have a polite and respectful conversation with the other party, to inform them that (a) their behavior is unacceptable and (b)you would like to try and resolve the issue peacefully, but (c) you will get the management team involved if that behavior does not change.

That is how a real man handles it.

over9five

Staff member
I dont suggest "ratting anyone out" either...but a better solution would be to have a polite and respectful conversation with the other party, to inform them that (a) their behavior is unacceptable and (b)you would like to try and resolve the issue peacefully, but (c) you will get the management team involved if that behavior does not change.

Sober, I strongly disagree with approaching the other party yourself. Once you threaten them with getting management involved, you've given them the opportunity to go to management first. The first one to inform management is going to be treated as the victim, pure and simple.

The OP should go on record with this ASAP.

22.34life

Its a bad idea to quote the "zero tolerance" policy and then turn around and suggest that the problem be "handled like a man outside of work."

Do some research. Workplace violence does not have to take place on the employers property in order to be treated as such. If you go to a coworkers house and beat the crap out of him over something that happened at work the company has the legal right as well as the responsibility to fire your ass. Otherwise, the person you beat up can sue the company for allowing it to happen.

as long as you do not threaten or invite the other person into a physical confrontation ups cant touch you.what you do on your own time is your own buisness.it has happened many times at my hub and nobody ever got fired.LOOk we all know that we should be all grown up and handle the situation like adults but some people only understand one thing.A person that threatens another person with violence will not all of the sudden do a 180 when you aproach them with your diplomatic hat on.they will lash out with more of the same,hey friend* you,ill beat your a** will be the probable response.sometimes "THE RIGHT THING TO DO" isnt "THE RIGHT THING TO DO",you know what i mean.but hey everbody handles things differently.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
as long as you do not threaten or invite the other person into a physical confrontation ups cant touch you.what you do on your own time is your own buisness.it has happened many times at my hub and nobody ever got fired.LOOk we all know that we should be all grown up and handle the situation like adults but some people only understand one thing.A person that threatens another person with violence will not all of the sudden do a 180 when you aproach them with your diplomatic hat on.they will lash out with more of the same,hey friend* you,ill beat your a** will be the probable response.sometimes "THE RIGHT THING TO DO" isnt "THE RIGHT THING TO DO",you know what i mean.but hey everbody handles things differently.

That is absolutely untrue as far as I know. If you get into a physical altercation at work, you're gone if the zero tolerance policy is invoked. It does not matter who started it.

My point is, it's he-said she-said, like ovah mentioned - so the first person to squeal is seen as the victim no matter who started it. There could be a fight between two other people, you try to "jump in" and break it apart and you are gone too. "yeah, he jumped in and started swinging!" Where does the truth lie, in reality, and who is to be the judge? Well, it doesn't matter to the company.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Sober, I strongly disagree with approaching the other party yourself. Once you threaten them with getting management involved, you've given them the opportunity to go to management first. The first one to inform management is going to be treated as the victim, pure and simple.

The OP should go on record with this ASAP.
Or they both will be treated as the aggressor depending on what the other guy says in his defense. This is the point where the company claims to be the victim and fires both parties till it can be sorted out, siting the zero tolerance policy. This is where a good steward is worth his weight in gold. That's where I think I would start.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Or they both will be treated as the aggressor depending on what the other guy says in his defense. This is the point where the company claims to be the victim and fires both parties till it can be sorted out, siting the zero tolerance policy. This is where a good steward is worth his weight in gold. That's where I think I would start.

The thing that complicates this case is "the other guy" is not a guy.

bigbrownhen

Try your best to work this out without "ratting" someone out. Get your steward involved and see what can be done. If this threat was intended as "watch your back, Im gonna get you eventually" then make a bee line to management and report the incident.

I don't understand how "holding us up" could evolve into such a confrontation. I would guess it was just the straw that broke the camels back. There are other problems with this other driver you have a problem with.

In every work enviornment there are those who don't get along well. I have worked with drivers who create more hassel than they are worth. Then don't work well with others, dump work off every chance they get, and never help out a fellow driver no matter how little effort it would take on their part. Keep this in mind when you know you work with them and go in with the right attitude. You know what they will and will not do. Just do your job, and let management worry about how someone else does their job.

Thanks for all your replies, bigbrownhen you nailed it right on the head, this was the moment that broke the camels back and she's exactly how u described that "one" person, but today a new day i will go in and explore my options with mngmt, i may consider not driving for a bit on saturdays but we will see how this all washes out, thanks again everyone

tfinnegan

happy exupser
It would not be a grievance, as that is used against the company and you. It should be reported to management as a threat made against you at work by a fellow teamster. As you may or may not know violence in the workplace is prohibited!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
well i agree with most of you as i really dont want to report this and to be honest this other person is a chick so the option of goin out to the parking lot isn;t gonna happen even though she acts and wishes she was a man (if u catch my drift) which doesnt bother me, just the fact how she treats us fellow employees because she has more seniority, makes her feel like she has power i guess, just tired of a constant fight on saturdays to make 40 extra bucks a week, looks as though my saturdays are gonna be over for a while

The thing that complicates this case is "the other guy" is not a guy.

To-shay UpstartNYUPSer,
With this in mind I think Mel Gibson might be of assistance in this case.