GROUND CLOUD USERS: what accessories do you use?

12yearsaslave

Getting some ipads with ground cloud service. Vehicle type will be sprinters and gmcs. Would appreciate suggestions on cases, mounts, cupholder mounts and anything else I might need.
PS Would appreciate if we stay on topic and this does not become another single system cry session.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Getting some ipads with ground cloud service. Vehicle type will be sprinters and gmcs. Would appreciate suggestions on cases, mounts, cupholder mounts and anything else I might need.
PS Would appreciate if we stay on topic and this does not become another single system cry session.
Ask a mod to add to your thread title “On Topic”. Then anything not on topic can be deleted.

It will be fine

I got Supcases, I got one otter box with the first iPad I tried out and these seem to be basically the same thing for 1/4 the cost. They stay in the mounts anyway so the case is just to keep the dust from trashing them.

I use the Arkon locking adjustable mounts. I installed them with self tappers up by the driver side window in the step vans or I find a spot on the dash in the different trucks. If you use these you probably want to use some locktite or similar, the nuts have been slipping off and disappearing with the vibration in the trucks. These lock the tablets in, it’s not a heavy duty lock, can be beaten with a screwdriver if you really wanted to, but it keeps the package handlers or any passerby from easily walking away with the iPad.

I got everything on Amazon.

I’m liking the system so far and he just got approved as a VEDR vendor so that’ll be nice.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
Get a refund clause in your contract, it is not perfect.

12yearsaslave

You don’t have to sign a contract, you can pay month to month. I tell guys to try one or two for a bit to make sure they like it before putting their whole fleet on it.
I am assuming the refund is for the ipads. Groundcloud is a service charge only, equipment is through sprint. (or att or verizon whatever provider you choose) Sprint has a 60 day money back policy.
PS: typed in browncloud to get here this morning.... gotta get some sleep.

Code 82 Approved

Not my group, if they can't read a map they are gone quick.
All of our trucks have GPS if needed, but I discourage their use. Learn your area or you are not going to succeed. And yes I'm a di&^ about it.
The majority of Groundcloud's user base is the HD people who were not trained like I train my people, and quite frankly it's irritating to watch a belt fail because they just lost their turn-by turn. 800+ DNA's on one belt on one day?

We have Fleetmatics/Verizon to track other odds and ends about hours.

instiches

The majority of Groundcloud's user base is the HD people who were not trained like I train my people, and quite frankly it's irritating to watch a belt fail because they just lost their turn-by turn. 800+ DNA's on one belt on one day?

Most of the good veteran HD drivers know their areas and don't need GPS or turn by turns. But Ground training and HD training is different. Businesses are typically on a few main streets and there's a bit of a routine to it as you visit a lot of the same places every day. Once you're mostly in the Resis, that opens up a hell of a lot more streets to become familiar with.

Also, HD contractors in bigger metropolitan areas have to put on a lot more drivers than Ground for peak because of the growth. You can't train these guys to learn their areas in time for peak.

Code 82 Approved

Most of the good veteran HD drivers know their areas and don't need GPS or turn by turns. But Ground training and HD training is different. Businesses are typically on a few main streets and there's a bit of a routine to it as you visit a lot of the same places every day. Once you're mostly in the Resis, that opens up a hell of a lot more streets to become familiar with.

Also, HD contractors in bigger metropolitan areas have to put on a lot more drivers than Ground for peak because of the growth. You can't train these guys to learn their areas in time for peak.
That's why you train for peak in July. And our metro is hardly big, but what a headache a NYC/Atlanta/Houston/LA/Chi must be.

It will be fine

Not my group, if they can't read a map they are gone quick.
All of our trucks have GPS if needed, but I discourage their use. Learn your area or you are not going to succeed. And yes I'm a di&^ about it.

We have Fleetmatics/Verizon to track other odds and ends about hours.
I switched from fleetmatics because GC was cheaper and provided a more comprehensive service. I learned how to do this job a long time ago when all we got was a truck full of boxes. GC makes it very easy, I can hop in a truck and without going through it do 20ish sph. Some of my veterans grumbled about it but a lot of them love it. You don’t have to map out or route yourself, it makes things very easy.

Code 82 Approved

I switched from fleetmatics because GC was cheaper and provided a more comprehensive service. I learned how to do this job a long time ago when all we got was a truck full of boxes. GC makes it very easy, I can hop in a truck and without going through it do 20ish sph. Some of my veterans grumbled about it but a lot of them love it. You don’t have to map out or route yourself, it makes things very easy.
You must not have the loader ClusterFok we do. I /uknow every route for 5 contractors, roughly 80 trucks. I can jump into most of them when they borrow me. I do one thing when my guys get trained, make sure the packages are in the order they need to be in, and after that I stress they know what's in the truck and write notes on boxes"see FL" "pu on list next"

It's a double edged sword. Technology is supposed to make this job easier, but the way this is being sold, the post office gets the smalls and we get bent over.
I worked for a guy who had HD a few yrs ago and I despised HD, I didn't like a small truck crammed ass full of chewy.com and lovesacs and all the new food deliveries.

Last edited:

Code 82 Approved

Loaders have and always will be mediocre at best. It shouldn’t make that much of a difference to a driver with any experience.
That's great when you have no turnover. Assembling a group that gets to that level takes time. We just got through 9 months of BS, and are thinking about hiring a 4th guy just to do peak running around. 2 managers and a contractor and a 4th guy just to put out fires.

But to stay on topic, no groundloud or accessories for the 4th.

every.delivery

been beta testing for free with PackageRoute for FedEx Ground ISPs
been using it to scan our load accuracy during the sort. can spot misloads from home. for real. has a special XXX shelf for each WA for all the missing SID's, 999's etc. we really spend our time in the AM Managing the BM's. still a drag, but atleast our drivers get clean mani's and we can X-ray the trucks instead of going through them Manually. my 2 cetns

12yearsaslave

How is GC cheaper then Fleetmatics? do you not account the data charge?