Ground no help at all for peak

bacha29

Solid Info IWBF. So in time when HD and Ground are merged it will be just one guy in a given area. Just one dictated oh I mean "negoiated" contract. Seems to make crystal clear why this is all being set up for 6 days a week year round. Old Freddy and the boys at the CATO Institute have always believed that private enterprise could do a better job of delivering the mail than the folks at USPS. By the time it's all said and done I'll be surprised if you guys don't all get bleeding ulcers.

dex 84

If they go to a six day work week they'll probably end up doing something like what express does. If you need 5 guys in a town on a regular day you put 4 there on a Monday and 2 or 3 on a Saturday. That way only 1 or 2 guys end up working their day off.

I'd find it hard to imagine you'd have the freight to run full operations 6 days a week

NYCFXG

Told my guys to deliver everything they possibly could this weekend. It paid off big time today. Showed up to the terminal with heavy, but completely manageable loads. All my trucks are logging out as we speak and completed almost 800 stops on 5 routes not including the work we did on the weekend. Out of 100 plus trucks in the terminal, I only saw 10-15 trucks parked. 3 were mine while the other 2 were on their way back. I warned other contractors not to be cheap this weekend. They didn't want to listen and now they are suffered. One even had a truck go down on top of an impossible load. Failures everywhere today.

This is ground, btw. Not HD. Picked up over 1200 packages today. Crazy pick up day for sure.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
That would be called EFFICIENCY and X doesn't believe in that!
Efficiency doesn't justify some A-hole "engineer" s job. The more red tape they can thrust upon everyone, the more essential their job is, the more secure they are hoping no one notices how unnecessary what they do is comprised of.

It will be fine

Okay, so that's where the problem is. If they paid one person the same as they would pay two then you could do better by saving a route here or there but if they're screwing you like that then there is no incentive to try to provide both services efficiently. Better to just stick with the one you're in and say to hell with the other one.
It's just insane greed. They have been pushing us to buy overlapping service area for years and when you do it they spit in your face. I'm fine with them making better profit, just give me my cut. If they save 100k in annual give me 50k so I can hire another cover driver. Everyone wins. But no, it's just fedex gets all the savings and we get scraps. The best option is to subcontract the overlapping area. HD keeps his Annual charge, Ground guy gets the work and efficiency gains and FedEx gets nada. I don't understand why they think that is optimal, but I'm not an engineer.

overflowed

Efficiency doesn't justify some A-hole "engineer" s job. The more red tape they can thrust upon everyone, the more essential their job is, the more secure they are hoping no one notices how unnecessary what they do is comprised of.

This is my station engineers job title. Whenever things start running smoothly he starts messing with stuff and screws everything up so he has something to do so he can say he fixed something.

TeamLift

Does Hd ever help Ground on deliveries and pick ups, NOPE so what makes you think Ground should help HD

Why would you need help with deliveries, most ground guys are done by 11.00 am. Besides that's why you have the big trucks right, p1200 and p1000, you can't fit 600 cubic feet of packages in a 400 cubic foot van. If we have to work every Monday till Christmas and work all day, ground should work all day Saturday .

TeamLift

Why is this? You can't save money yourself by just running mixed routes that can get more done quicker? If you had 4 HD routes and 4 ground routes and you just split the freight in a way that made sense you couldn't make it so you don't have to run 8 routes everyday?

I don't know anything about this, I'm just asking out of curiosity because it never made sense to me to see two guys with the green ex on their truck doing the same area.

Problem is HD vans not big enough to put trampolines and all that other big crap in, you would have to have all ground trucks to do it with. UPS doesn't have this problem cause all their trucks are step vans, no sprinters or cargo vans allowed, difference is some have p500, p700 or bigger. 6 or 7 huge ground packages would destroy a sprinter van in a hurry.

STFXG

A sprinter can hold 35 packages at the max of 176 cubic inches.

HD runs more stops. Ground runs more volume. It's really not that difficult to split up and condense areas. Move things around as needed.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Home delivery forced to work every Monday till Christmas ground comes in on Saturdays to run psa but only has to run 40 stops then free to go home. Also we used to get help with incompatibles, now no help on Mondays or Saturdays, totally useless.
You're an independent contractor. Find a way to deal with it. Independently

TeamLift

You're an independent contractor. Find a way to deal with it. Independently

No, I am a driver
A sprinter can hold 35 packages at the max of 176 cubic inches.

HD runs more stops. Ground runs more volume. It's really not that difficult to split up and condense areas. Move things around as needed.

Really, than how come no one does it? I ran ground and HD out of a sprinter van for over 2 years, total bull :censored2:e trying to put huge basketball goals and crap in with other stuff in a 400 cubic foot narrow ass van. 35 Packages at what size ? Incompatibles are huge these days. I have always said HD shouldn't have anything less than a p500 and many contractors in my hub are using p700's for HD.

STFXG

A sprinter has 530 cubic ft of cargo capacity. It is the same as a p500 step van. 35 packages at the max size Fedex accepts... 176 cubic inches.

Also, I do it. I have ground and HD.