Hammered with overtime?

With the amount of money we are losing, we have no choice but to do more with less. We have to stop the hemorrhaging, before we get into actual red.

Our profit dropped by 55% last quarter compared to a year ago. If that trend continues...

I understand what you are saying, but how long do you really believe drivers can go out for 11-12 hours per day without cratering? Our center already has 8 to 10 drivers on comp. That's a lot of money spent for non-productivity. It is a proven fact that the longer one works the more fatigued they become and a fatigued body is more easily injured during regular activities. The long hard hours are going to take a toll that UPS doesn't want or need to be paying.

With the amount of money we are losing, we have no choice but to do more with less. We have to stop the hemorrhaging, before we get into actual red.

Our profit dropped by 55% last quarter compared to a year ago. If that trend continues...

Totally agree we have to stop it. Let's see...driver's laid off and routes collapsed, aircraft mechanics laid off, Districts collapsed and combined reducing mgmt. Only thing left is to increase the volume...I've got it...Hey Mr. Davis...reduce the Board of Directors by about three...take that cost savings and put it into Business Development where it should have went in the first place. And make sure you hire people that give a damn about their job and UPS. :angry:

sealbasher

they should hire more managment to combat this issue lol

satellitedriver

Already tried but it requires numbers in the user name.
So much for the fun I was going to have with that!
Fair is fair.
The founder of; UNITED PACKAGE SMASHERS is a registered member of Brown Cafe, if memory serves me, and I will go to the site and register.
I might need to be moderated when I post.

satellitedriver

Hoke,
I just registered.
The number thing only applies to your password.
Talk about a flame site !!!!
No need to worry about being moderated, since they have no moderators.
Really, the site is a waste of time, but, I stuck my toe into the water and checked the temperature.

FORDMAN

dont mind overtime at all. beats working two jobs like when i was partime. remember those days and the money is a whole lot better. remember being partime and working two jobs and the overtime isnt that bad ill take it. 50 hours beats 70.

FORDMAN

know people being cut to 32 hours an week just thankful to have a good paying job. im not going to complain about anything. if anything i am very grateful. depends how u look at it. glass half empty or glass half full. a place paying us 30 dollars and hour to lug boxes around all day and see hot girls in the summer thats ok.

BrownBlue

New Jack
Welcome Skagit Driver, this week will be my 3rd 9 5 grievence, in a row, and my 3rd since the 1st of the year. I believe that 'the heat is on.'

over9five

Staff member
LMAO.....Good try buddy, you once sent me a message telling me to watch my language or something because this wasn't the package smashers forum.

I was sure I sent that to someone named sx2700....

uhhh......I mean.....What are you talking about?? I...uhhh..... never heard of that site!

BrownBlue

New Jack
I think it is just plain stupidity or ignorance that IE doesn't understand that all we sell is service and when you cut out the people providing service, service suffers. Then customers start looking for whoever is willing to do it dirt cheap. Causing us to have to lower rates or lose customers, and lose revenue. But hey, look we saved 4000 a week cutting out that other driver, too bad we lost that 80k a month account. Stupid IE it is United Parcel SERVICE, and Trix are for kids.

Rainman

Its all good.
I have worked only about 6 or 7 days in the last month (3 no overtime days) under 9.5. My center management is getting their butts chewed for over 9.5s, but not allowed to put in more routes to help the situation. I decided a few years ago that I was not going to allow myself to get frustrated and stressed anymore about the workload, so they know they can't hurt me anymore. I just drive my little brown truck down my little brown road and deliver my little brown packages. And I cry all the way to the bank. :happy2:

brownboxman

One thing I know about folks that work at UPS, is they are all very different. And it's no different on this subject. I personally respect all you who want the OT, and think if you want it, fine. No problemo. But if after 20+ years I choose to avoid it and want to complete my life outside of UPS, why should I be forced into it. That certainly doesnt make me ungrateful for the job I have. As for it being a smart business move to push everyone to it, it is obvious from the different replies form accross the country that that staff is not totally sure it is right either. I believe the costs associated with OT may not be as evident short term as it is long term. Injuries, apathy, loss of good hourly and center team management due to early retirement. Where will this company be in 2-5 years when everyone is burned out and the economy has returned to strong, and the labor market is tight again? Who will they find that fits the mold they are creating now? All companies experience business cycles, and the ones that make the claims that revenues are down, yes they are but dont tell me profits are totally gone. If they are then why still pay dividends? Volume will go up again, when?, dont know. In the mean time don't make me the scapegoat for the economic downturn.

ups1990

One thing I know about folks that work at UPS, is they are all very different. And it's no different on this subject. I personally respect all you who want the OT, and think if you want it, fine. No problemo. But if after 20+ years I choose to avoid it and want to complete my life outside of UPS, why should I be forced into it. That certainly doesnt make me ungrateful for the job I have. As for it being a smart business move to push everyone to it, it is obvious from the different replies form accross the country that that staff is not totally sure it is right either. I believe the costs associated with OT may not be as evident short term as it is long term. Injuries, apathy, loss of good hourly and center team management due to early retirement. Where will this company be in 2-5 years when everyone is burned out and the economy has returned to strong, and the labor market is tight again? Who will they find that fits the mold they are creating now? All companies experience business cycles, and the ones that make the claims that revenues are down, yes they are but dont tell me profits are totally gone. If they are then why still pay dividends? Volume will go up again, when?, dont know. In the mean time don't make me the scapegoat for the economic downturn.
Yes. Exactly what he said.

ups1990

Previously posted that my center manager had warned us about more routes would be cut. Man, was He right. Worked 11 hrs Thursday, punched out after 8pm. There were still drivers out past 8pm.

You can imagine that amount of missed buss. and resi packages the center had. Our w/c pu time is between 8 to 830, and yes many customers were angry because their package was out with the driver.

Today, was a little better only worked 10 hrs. Can't wait for next week to put my name on the opt in-opt out list.

flht

We are getting it here in Ga. too. Busting out routes,adding pickups,and I think now they have done it they will never go back to the old way. They now can do what they want and the union is sitting on their hands watching it happen. Might as well get used to it ,I think it's here to stay.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We are getting it here in Ga. too. Busting out routes,adding pickups,and I think now they have done it they will never go back to the old way. They now can do what they want and the union is sitting on their hands watching it happen. Might as well get used to it ,I think it's here to stay.
Are you guys filing on the excessive overtime? If not, what do you expect the union to do? The union can't tell the company not to break out routes or move pickups around.
I actually don't mind the extra [-]work[/-] money right now, I finish pretty close to 9.5 most days and generally have 1 or 2 days a week where I clock out over. I'm fine with it. If it starts getting excessive I'll file for the triple time.
What gets me is the guys who piss and moan to anyone who will listen, and when you ask them if they've filed a grievance they always have some sorry excuse: "What good will that do?" "The union doesn't care!". Whatever bro, just do me a favor and stfu then.

old levi's

blank space
I think it is just plain stupidity or ignorance that IE doesn't understand that all we sell is service and when you cut out the people providing service, service suffers. Then customers start looking for whoever is willing to do it dirt cheap. Causing us to have to lower rates or lose customers, and lose revenue. But hey, look we saved 4000 a week cutting out that other driver, too bad we lost that 80k a month account. Stupid IEit is United Parcel SERVICE, and Trix are for kids.

No, it was United Parcel SERVICE for a long time but now it goes by a different name. United Profit Systems

...and just in case anyone is listening, there is a difference between cutting
expenses and controlling expenses. I'm just saying...........