Hand Cart Issues in Regards to Management

LaTulla

At our building, as all other buildings, we are given handcarts to be used in order to do our work. In an ideal world, every truck should have a two-wheeler and a four-wheeler loaded into it and everyone is happy and goes about their day. We do not live in an ideal world; people steal handcarts, so we’ve been told to lock them up at night. Sometimes when route drivers go out on vacation, sick, etc., they leave the carts locked up in their truck or otherwise, and kept the key on their person, thus making it impossible for a cover or utility driver to utilize them. If they don’t leave it locked up, they get stolen before they come back from vacation (by stolen, I mean taken by another driver to use; “there’s only one thief at UPS, everyone else is just trying to get their :censored2: back.”

The problem:

Our hub management team has decided that we can no longer lock up our carts on the rails that they provided for us after decades of locking up our carts with the locks they told us to buy. I fought this once on the grounds of harassment by management, and the issue seemed to go away. Now, the issue is back and they’re now posing signs telling us that they will cut our locks if we don’t take them off and put them in our trucks. Harassment grievances have been threatened upon them.

As a cover driver speaking up for everyone in this, what can I do to combat this? I realize these carts are company property, but they’re impairing our ability to do our jobs in this if they can’t guarantee that a truck will: a) have carts in it; and b) not have the carts stolen by another driver.

What can I do?

542thruNthru

At our building, as all other buildings, we are given handcarts to be used in order to do our work. In an ideal world, every truck should have a two-wheeler and a four-wheeler loaded into it and everyone is happy and goes about their day. We do not live in an ideal world; people steal handcarts, so we’ve been told to lock them up at night. Sometimes when route drivers go out on vacation, sick, etc., they leave the carts locked up in their truck or otherwise, and kept the key on their person, thus making it impossible for a cover or utility driver to utilize them. If they don’t leave it locked up, they get stolen before they come back from vacation (by stolen, I mean taken by another driver to use; “there’s only one thief at UPS, everyone else is just trying to get their :censored2: back.”

The problem:

Our hub management team has decided that we can no longer lock up our carts on the rails that they provided for us after decades of locking up our carts with the locks they told us to buy. I fought this once on the grounds of harassment by management, and the issue seemed to go away. Now, the issue is back and they’re now posing signs telling us that they will cut our locks if we don’t take them off and put them in our trucks. Harassment grievances have been threatened upon them.

As a cover driver speaking up for everyone in this, what can I do to combat this? I realize these carts are company property, but they’re impairing our ability to do our jobs in this if they can’t guarantee that a truck will: a) have carts in it; and b) not have the carts stolen by another driver.

What can I do?

Work As Directed

If you don't have a handcart demand one before leaving the building. UPS must provide you with a hand cart.

If they don't, file a Article 18 Section 14 grievance everytime.
Screenshot_20191021-195730_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Other then that it's the companies property so make the best of it.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Article 18 Section 14 "Package Cars"

"Apackage car will be equipped with a hand cart at the driver’s request."

If you are assigned to a route and there is no hand truck in the package car, request one. If you are not given one do what @myback suggested and file a grievance based on this language.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

The problem:

What can I do?

You can also change your user name if that's your real name.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

The problem:

What can I do?
Get with it. You go to the shop and "borrow" another handcart.

Any scum driver that locks the handcart in the truck and doesn't leave a key will find the lock cut and the handcart missing when they get back.

Johney

I wrote my truck number all over my handcart and used a combination lock that the two or three (at most) drivers that did my route knew the combination and would lock it back up. I had the last handcart for 5 years or more before I went into feeders.

ManInBrown

I would have an friend’n field day with this one. Man, i miss package and shoving grievances up their arse. Feeders is to laid back. As somebody else said, hand carry every box, and call for help on anything you dont feel comfortable carrying. Guarantee youll have a brandy new hand cart waiting for you at the PCM the following day.

rod

Retired 22 years
You remember those black handcarts? There might be one in my garage.
I pulled one of those old steel carts with the flip down extentions and the solid wheel out of the dumpster when they supplied everyone with a new aluminum cart. I've used it hundreds of times and loaned it out dozens of times.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I pulled one of those old steel carts with the flip down extentions and the solid wheel out of the dumpster when they supplied everyone with a new aluminum cart. I've used it hundreds of times and loaned it out dozens of times.
This one that may or may not be in my garage has low miles and a strap! Allegedly, it was left at a house at lunchtime?

Slug Life

When do we eat?

The problem:

What can I do?
The best/most punishing thing to do would request another Union member’s assistance on anything package you deemed too heavy. Spread em’ out to the point of it turning into having a helper all day. Then use the Pinhead quote from Hellraiser regarding PAIN.