Harassment or Justified?

AlliSeeisBrown

Can't seem to find clear cut language in the contract/supplement or here.
At the end of the sort, sometimes I get sent with a combo to shuttle volume to a hub in a neighboring city. This has been pretty smooth until recently. The supervisor that directs me told me to drive to the hub, wait for it to be unloaded, drive back to our hub.
The past 3 times I have gone to the other hub, the same PT Supe comes out screaming and crying at me to unload my own combo. Cussing and all. Saying it isn't their work and it's unplanned etc... When I get there I always take a break and nap in the cab and the past 3 times he always bangs on my door. I worked 4.5 hours inside, 2 hour drive, then 2 hour drive back. I basically told him to stuff it and that he has a PT staff to unload and I'm taking a break. Not touching a single package on the combo. I told him I would unload the combo if he goes in the break room and forces all the feeder drivers to unload their trailers. He basically told me to work as directed and grieve later. I've been refusing this entire time, but I'm tired of getting yelled and cussed at every time I go there. He hangs termination over my head and quite frankly I don't care.
I'm not this supes worker, I'm not on this hub's time, I'm lead to believe it's not my job duty to unload my own shuttle. I have a right to a break. I'm wanting to grieve this but I'm not sure how that works in a different local/hub or if I'm justified in doing so.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
At the end of the sort, sometimes I get sent with a combo to shuttle volume to a hub in a neighboring city. This has been pretty smooth until recently. The supervisor that directs me told me to drive to the hub, wait for it to be unloaded, drive back to our hub.
The past 3 times I have gone to the other hub, the same PT Supe comes out screaming and crying at me to unload my own combo. Cussing and all. Saying it isn't their work and it's unplanned etc... When I get there I always take a break and nap in the cab and the past 3 times he always bangs on my door. I worked 4.5 hours inside, 2 hour drive, then 2 hour drive back. I basically told him to stuff it and that he has a PT staff to unload and I'm taking a break. Not touching a single package on the combo. I told him I would unload the combo if he goes in the break room and forces all the feeder drivers to unload their trailers. He basically told me to work as directed and grieve later. I've been refusing this entire time, but I'm tired of getting yelled and cussed at every time I go there. He hangs termination over my head and quite frankly I don't care.
I'm not this supes worker, I'm not on this hub's time, I'm lead to believe it's not my job duty to unload my own shuttle. I have a right to a break. I'm wanting to grieve this but I'm not sure how that works in a different local/hub or if I'm justified in doing so.
You do have a right to a break.

You can't refuse to unload it then.

I'd tell him I'm on break until X time. I'll unload it then. It's up to him if he wants to wait til then or find someone else to do it.

AlliSeeisBrown

You do have a right to a break.

You can't refuse to unload it then.

I'd tell him I'm on break until X time. I'll unload it then. It's up to him if he wants to wait til then or find someone else to do it.

I can come to agree with that. However, I have done nothing to provoke his degrading attitude. I get it, you need thick skin to work here. I have that. All the cussing, banging on the door and screaming and yelling is not something I'm good with.

Drop it, steal an empty from the yard and drive back with their empty.

I told him I'd be more than happy to shut the door and take it all back to my hub if it's going to be this way. But that's a great option.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
There used to be a code you could put on your timecard (input now) I think it was TT (time transfer) and you could therefore charge your time to the hub where you're doing the work.

AlliSeeisBrown

There used to be a code you could put on your timecard (input now) I think it was TT (time transfer) and you could therefore charge your time to the hub where you're doing the work.

My shuttle time is basically an honor system (I know). I leave a note with the OMS on when I started and when I RTB, -30 minute break. They put my times in manually. It has yet to be wrong (knock on wood).

john chesney

Work as directed and file grievance.I hate to say it but the supervisor gave you the best advice.I would never put up with anyone talking to me like that. If you really don’t care about being fired then stand your ground

dudebro

The supervisor would probably catch more flies with honey than vinegar - if he'd simply talked to you "man to man", I'd imagine none of this would be an issue.

dudebro

True but still doesn’t give our guy the right to ignore him.
Technically true, but "our" guy has no right to run outside screaming at him either. As a supervisor, walk outside, introduce yourself, and then politely explain how you want it to be. 90% of the time, doing this way, there are no issues.

AlliSeeisBrown

The supervisor would probably catch more flies with honey than vinegar - if he'd simply talked to you "man to man", I'd imagine none of this would be an issue.

My point exactly. I personally enjoy the extra workout. I don't deal with being cussed at and belittled, especially if I did nothing to provoke it other than back the combo up to the door.

True but still doesn’t give our guy the right to ignore him.

I never ignored the guy other than walking away at the end because I was about to hit him. I might have been in the wrong fighting fire with fire as far as the 'conversation' went.

If you want my help with something. Just ask. It doesn't have to be sugar coated and tied with a bow but it just amazes me how some people think it's okay to come directly at people like this.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Even feeder drivers are required to work as directed.
Just unload a box and tell him your back hurts. You need to take a 30min break or you will have to fill out an injury report

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

You always need to work as directed, unless unsafe, and grieve it later. They can tell you to unload it and then take your break.

Either way, you cannot refuse to work as directed in this situation. Take your break and then unload it or unload it and then take your break.

The Central Region Supplement goes one step further.

Article 19

Section 2

Feeder drivers, irrespective of domicile, will work as directed in any of the Employer’s locations.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Bring a box of donuts to the feeder drivers in the break room , tell them your a part timer transferring pkgs to this hub in a Pkg car at pt rate . Tell them your being forced to do feeder work and feel bad your taking their overtime , you are doing feeder work , give them name of sup , I guarantee you they will take care of this guy ,,, trust me on that !

Cementups

Box Monkey
So just to clarify, are you shuttling in a package car or as a feeder driver?

If it were me, I would talk to him about his tone first and inform him that I would be more than happy to if he asked nicely. But I would also do it as slow as possible.