Hard hats when delivering to construction sites.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I use to deliver to a Con Agra plant and about 2 years ago they started to go crazy with delivery requirements. First it was a hair net, then it was goggles, then the hard hat. Finally they told me one day that I needed to wear pants to enter their property. Well I said that I would deliver to the gaurd shack. Well two days of sending their 30 packages a day back to the shippers and all of a sudden their pant rule dissapeared. I felt that I had to draw the line some where. Well come to find out one day there was a package that was VERY important and the Head Honcho wanted to know why the packages were refused and once they told him about the pants he said NEVER refuse UPS again. Mark a victory for the UPS guy, or so I thought. I was talking to my center manager about it and he said that if push came to shove that I would of been forced to wear pants. All I can say is that I'm glad that they said uncle before UPS did.
Your center manager is full of SHEEEEIT!

How can he force you to wear pants over shorts?????????

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I was always told...and it is a standard practice here....that a customer who does not know when or if he will be available to sign can simply leave a pad of pre-signed delivery notes for the driver. We didnt use to have barcodes on the notes at all, and in the days before Driver Release at least half the residential stops we delivered were done with signed notices.

I never accept a signed delivery notice, for a couple of reasons.
First being that I have found that if I ask 5 different managers when it is acceptable, I get five different answers.
We once had a class before work with drivers in high risk areas.
The head LP guy and 2 center manager's got into a shouting match in front us and could not arrive at a concensus when this topic was broached.
It was hilarious.
Secondly, where I'm at, there is no system in place to turn in these signed notices in, nor do they keep a file for future reference in case of a descrepancy.
It surely would be convenient to be able to utilize this method, but I'm more afraid of it being a convenient way of charging me for a lost package.
When they give me a set of written guidelines, then I'll join in.

tarbar66

You have to draw some boundaries with those guys pretty quickly and be willing to send a bunch of their stuff back as "refused" if they wont sign or leave delivery notes.

They seem to think there is nothing wrong with us spending half an hour wandering around the site in the mud, climbing up ladders or hauling construction materials all over the job site in search of the one person who is "authorized" to sign for that box of fasteners or coil of wire.

Before the days of direct deposit I established a good rapport with these sites because I usually had their paychecks. Whoever started the "authorized" thing for signing should have been been let go before payday!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Wow sober did not know you had been around that long. I remember implementing DR back in 1983.
I was a swing driver and I remember the smart drivers had Sig Notices all over their resi areas. My job was to figure out where they were. Under the door mat, stuck in the side of garage doors and some regular customers even had a small letter box where they kept them ... and then of course, Mr Knob would sign for a few rural stops here and there.

I started driving in '88, not too long after Driver Release was implemented, but there were still plenty of those old signature cards laying around. And our Delivery Notices back then were the old yellow ones with no barcode...which was fortunate since its tough to scan a barcode with a 50-liner on a clip board.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I started driving in '88, not too long after Driver Release was implemented, but there were still plenty of those old signature cards laying around. And our Delivery Notices back then were the old yellow ones with no barcode...which was fortunate since its tough to scan a barcode with a 50-liner on a clip board.
Yep, the only scan I remember from back then was the Z-scan for the paper pickup books.

Big Babooba

I made a delivery to the top of a 250 foot smokestack once. It was at a power plant construction site. The contractors couldn't come down to sign because they were pouring concrete- so I went up. A hard hat was required to be worn inside the gate, but what I really needed was a parachute!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I made a delivery to the top of a 250 foot smokestack once. It was at a power plant construction site. The contractors couldn't come down to sign because they were pouring concrete- so I went up. A hard hat was required to be worn inside the gate, but what I really needed was a parachute!

I do hope that you are joking--can you imagine what would have happened had you gotten hurt?

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I used to deliver to a chemical plant that required long pants and eye protection. I just ordered pants 2 sizes to big- slipped them on over the workboots and shorts. My personal glasses worked for the eye protection.
I also delivered to a nuclear reservation. They had lots of strange rules, like no jumping from the dock into the back of a package car, you had to get out and walk around. Had to have a hard hat in car- just in case. So I was issued my own hat, with my name on it. Also got plenty of hearing protection, and a little booklet explaining color codes on ropes and barricades. Purple was a color to avoid.