Has anyone…..

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Just keep calling in sick or using medical reasons for the forced 6th punch. The company is looking for someone who calls out just because they can, they will be walking on eggshells if they go after someone who has any hint of a legitimate health and safety concern.

Thebrownblob

Yes, the point is 1. Teamsters are right to be angry over forced 6 punches. Most of us already work enough forced OT.

2. My BA could've led w the proviso "It's complicated, there's not a cut-and-dried answer, and you might have to gamble at panel." In other words, talk to the members like we're adults rather boosting company threats. I didn't find this difficult to do when coworkers asked my opinion on the issue. And, yes, I stressed: show up on time for your regular schedule.

3. Language be damned, they've not been in a position to can reliable employees for refusing to work 6 days a week.
No disagreement really, just pointing out there’s more to the story, and naturally business agents, union stewards and the union officials in general could do a better job explaining.
The only problem is is you can’t say language be damned to someone you’re representing in every situation because the company can be ruthless when they want to make an example of someone. The wheels of the UPS system can be a meat grinder, and I do not wish to give someone who’s counting on my opinion false Hope or half the story. Naturally everyone is an adult and can make their own choice as long as you give them good info.
The bottom line is the contract needs to be fixed to guarantee forced overtime and six days don’t happen continually, especially when it’s all because of UPSs failure to staff the operation properly as well as pushing Monday volume on Saturdays.

nWo

Here's the thing. If my schedule was Wednesday thru Sunday. I would have 0 issues reporting to work every Wednesday thru Sunday. My schedule is Monday thru Friday. Saturday and Sunday are my off days. I am unavailable to work on my scheduled days off.

Thebrownblob

Here's the thing. If my schedule was Wednesday thru Sunday. I would have 0 issues reporting to work every Wednesday thru Sunday. My schedule is Monday thru Friday. Saturday and Sunday are my off days. I am unavailable to work on my scheduled days off.
Totally agree with you, now let’s get our negotiators to make sure it’s in the contract that way so that there’s no ambiguity.

Whither

Scofflaw
No disagreement really, just pointing out there’s more to the story, and naturally business agents, union stewards and the union officials in general could do a better job explaining.
The only problem is is you can’t say language be damned to someone you’re representing in every situation because the company can be ruthless when they want to make an example of someone. The wheels of the UPS system can be a meat grinder, and I do not wish to give someone who’s counting on my opinion false Hope or half the story. Naturally everyone is an adult and can make their own choice as long as you give them good info.
The bottom line is the contract needs to be fixed to guarantee forced overtime and six days don’t happen continually, especially when it’s all because of UPSs failure to staff the operation properly as well as pushing Monday volume on Saturdays.
I follow you. My issue w the BA is, when you have very justifiably angry drivers you should try and channel that anger into union strength instead of blithely saying "our hands are tied". Now, to his credit he did take a harder line in time, but it was only after a lot of pressure from several of us.

If the company hadn't been bluffing I was prepared to fight to (and possibly beyond) panel. Not one of us signed up to work 6 days a week year round. It's more obscene bc the company has been making a killing while threatening to work us into the ground.

Trojanfan3

I never call to see if they need me. But this past saturday they were being :censored2:s amd they got me with a no call no show. Bu since they didnt need me and they violated drivers seniority they just gave me a re-train.

Thebrownblob

It provides flexibility.

Do you really want everything "written in stone" ?

Not me....
Of course not everything, but somethings yes. Can they force you? ( I think the answer is technically yes) For how long? Can they have more routes on Saturdays than they have 22.4 drivers? Can They advance volume that forces RPCDs to work six days a week year-round, or in some places not have any work on Monday? When does it become a staffing issue because of the companies refusal to hire enough people? If any of these questions were covered in the contract it would help a lot. Most of these questions don’t have a real solid answer right now. I do believe the new administration will address some of these issues.

Last edited: