Has CHSP Outlived its Usefulness ?

Karma...

Is it time that CHSP is phased out ?...Seems like its cost and the lack of Teamster involvement has made the process a dead red herring whose only reason for being is to appease OSHA.....It certainly needs to be modified and brought up to date...Bringing back the turkeys would have a more positive impact being more inclusive...

542thruNthru

Is it time that CHSP is phased out ?...Seems like its cost and the lack of Teamster involvement has made the process a dead red herring whose only reason for being is to appease OSHA.....It certainly needs to be modified and brought up to date...Bringing back the turkeys would have a more positive impact being more inclusive...
Never happen. It's in the contract and members get paid for it.

Though it's funny you think we should care about the cost of it.

We need those guys. Who else is going to run miss loads and sweep bulk pickups and code it out of safety time?

Integrity

Binge Poster
@Casca :

What is your level of involvement in the CHSP?

How would you modify and bring the CHSP up to date?

What does being more inclusive even mean?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I was a Vice-Chairman for a couple of years and it was interesting. My Center has 80 hours a month to take drivers off the road for a day. Usually, I would sit at a desk and enter data into a Liberty Mutual website. We would study accidents and injuries for six months and try to make up PCM training to address those issues. I think accidents and injuries eat up about 30% of the profit line so it was beneficial to both employees and the company to reduce that. We had an active committee made up mostly of Circle of Honor drivers and Shop Stewards. I didn't like doing on-area observations on drivers because it seemed like a waste of time. I would have to call them and they knew I was coming. Also, employee observations do not count as official observations, only management can do those. We left the driver's name off of the form. I usually let other members do those. I did think it was stupid to take drivers off the road on heavy days when we needed everybody on the road. The most important part of it that I ever got satisfaction was mentoring new drivers and occasionally I got to ride all day with them. I resigned after a while, I didn't feel it was ultimately doing much good.

Karma...

I was a part of a committee for some time and it went well until the union pulled all its members....I would think safety would be be a union concern but realistically it was used for political reasons.....The stewards and ba should be on the committee.....In our case the dm, manager, sups and lm rep were on it and attended every meeting......The company was serious but the union was not....Its a good system but it tends to complicate a simple situation and procedure...I would also like to see some recognition for safety achievements like when c.o.h drivers were recognized in the past.....The responsibility is shared between the union and the company. I am not sure the percentage of buildings/operations have or do not have an active c.h.s.p safety committee....Having one is a contractual agreement ....

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Colonel Casca.jpg

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I was a part of a committee for some time and it went well until the union pulled all its members.

Your safety committee must have been a real smilet show.... for the Local to do that.

"In the event that a Local Union desires to cease participation in the safety committees, prior approval must be authorized by the Union Co-Chair of the Teamsters United Parcel Service National Negotiating Committee who shall also inform the Employer’s President of Labor Relations of the request."

This is the main reason why:

"The Local Union shall approve the bargaining unit members who serve on these Committees."

We don't want a bunch of company whipped men/women serving on the committee just to get a day off.

Oh yeah....

"Both parties recognize and reaffirm the importance of maintaining properly functioning Safety and Health Committees and shall make a good faith effort to work out any differences prior to requesting authorization to cease participation."

In our case the dm, manager, sups and lm rep were on it and attended every meeting......The company was serious but the union was not

I think it's readily apparent.... what really happened.

:biggrin:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I was a part of a committee for some time and it went well until the union pulled all its members....I would think safety would be be a union concern but realistically it was used for political reasons.....The stewards and ba should be on the committee.....In our case the dm, manager, sups and lm rep were on it and attended every meeting......The company was serious but the union was not....Its a good system but it tends to complicate a simple situation and procedure...I would also like to see some recognition for safety achievements like when c.o.h drivers were recognized in the past.....The responsibility is shared between the union and the company. I am not sure the percentage of buildings/operations have or do not have an active c.h.s.p safety committee....Having one is a contractual agreement ....
Union pulled out here
It was nothing more than an ass kissing and donut eating contest

Big Rigger

Union pulled out here
It was nothing more than an ass kissing and donut eating contest
You forgot the 4 hour dispatch for the "union" safety co-chair on Fridays?

When will adults wake up and understand that the main focus in this business is to reduce company liability in every segment of this job. Ever wonder why drivers don't get hard copy handouts of the diad training? Who is liable for any safety and procedural mistakes that occur? The employee will pay with the loss of his/her lively hood in the end.

Most people come into the job trusting the boss only to find out that after the honeymoon they are liable for the problems in their work areas and any accident or injury is the employee's fault.

Wake up. If you're going to get a job in this company that has great pay and benefits you better understand that those things were secured by the Teamsters union and not by your "buddy" the manager.

You'd also better wake up and see that your vacations and healthcare are much greater than the bosses for a reason.

Either have a serious safety committee or let the local union do its job and clean house.

And NO bargaining unit worker should ever go out and do "observations" on any coworker. That's a Contract Violation and it often creates a hostile work environment. Think not? Think again. I've seen it and we put a stop to it.

A compromised teamster should have their card pulled and fined.
Maybe then people would get their minds right.

@Casca, buy some tissues. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

rentadawg

Random Union /management question. Is work as directed to scan packages from pickups when we are required to just scan the end of day and NDA’s? Manager said it’s a customer satisfactory to do so but couldn’t answer the question if it’s “ work as directed”( when they’re pretty good at making that clea) along with my awful Union steward saying almost nothing of the matter.
The kicker is my supervisor 2 days ago said if they have problem with you not scanning their pickups, then they can contact the center. Uhhhh I went to UPS to avoid “ customer satisfactory” Your thoughts fellas?

Whither

Scofflaw
Random Union /management question. Is work as directed to scan packages from pickups when we are required to just scan the end of day and NDA’s? Manager said it’s a customer satisfactory to do so but couldn’t answer the question if it’s “ work as directed”( when they’re pretty good at making that clea) along with my awful Union steward saying almost nothing of the matter.
The kicker is my supervisor 2 days ago said if they have problem with you not scanning their pickups, then they can contact the center. Uhhhh I went to UPS to avoid “ customer satisfactory” Your thoughts fellas?
You'd have to post more details re: the situation. It sounds like you're dealing with a pickup that specifically requests that each piece gets a pickup scan? We have a handful like that in my building, with some (but not all haha) of them there's a note to scan each piece. If that's what mgmt wants you to do, then do it, who cares?

Here we're not required to scan NDA pickups. The only pickup pieces that always get a scan are from PPP locations and letterboxes.

Whither

Scofflaw
"Both parties recognize and reaffirm the importance of maintaining properly functioning Safety and Health Committees and shall make a good faith effort to work out any differences prior to requesting authorization to cease participation."
The problem is the company is not a good faith partner in the relationship.

rentadawg

You'd have to post more details re: the situation. It sounds like you're dealing with a pickup that specifically requests that each piece gets a pickup scan? We have a handful like that in my building, with some (but not all haha) of them there's a note to scan each piece. If that's what mgmt wants you to do, then do it, who cares?

Here we're not required to scan NDA pickups. The only pickup pieces that always get a scan are from PPP locations and letterboxes.
This one allowed us to pickup at 4:00-4:30pm instead of 5pm as courtesy, provided drivers scan each one but now he changed it to 5pm. So you stop scrubbing my back, no way I continue to stroke yours and then proceeded to call me an ass and said if the scans don’t match the numbers on his systems and then I need to go back and scan everything again. I don’t take kindly getting cussed at over something I didn’t have to do in the first place.

rentadawg

Yes we have to scan NDA’s and letter boxes too, even if it’s ground

Whither

Scofflaw
This one allowed us to pickup at 4:00-4:30pm instead of 5pm as courtesy, provided drivers scan each one but now he changed it to 5pm. So you stop scrubbing my back, no way I continue to stroke yours and then proceeded to call me an ass and said if the scans don’t match the numbers on his systems and then I need to go back and scan everything again. I don’t take kindly getting cussed at over something I didn’t have to do in the first place.
Any time a customer is *seriously* disrespectful I always let mgmt know. CYA. I've even had them make a couple 'house calls' to asinine consignees at businesses. That's a weird bargaining chip for the shipper, but you're prolly SOL re: scanning each piece since the precedent has been set. There have been a couple times my scan count didn't agree with the shipper's count (I'm glad I don't have one of these pickups on my route haha), but it never reached the point of me having to unload and rescan everything.

Big Rigger

Get your manager and an Account Executive involved. See if they can't fit it because it's a waste of time if every pkg is in the end of day manifest barcode.
If your management will back you up tell them the pkgs are electronically uploaded as you load them into your truck. Lol.
You better count every box to make sure your pick up and the manifest EOD total match because someone in that shipping dept may be stealing and that may be why this guy/woman is on edge.
Every pkg picked up minus ASDs, prepaid, etc are and should be associated with the EOD scannable barcode and total.

rentadawg

Get your manager and an Account Executive involved. See if they can't fit it because it's a waste of time if every pkg is in the end of day manifest barcode.
If your management will back you up tell them the pkgs are electronically uploaded as you load them into your truck. Lol.
You better count every box to make sure your pick up and the manifest EOD total match because someone in that shipping dept may be stealing and that may be why this guy/woman is on edge.
Every pkg picked up minus ASDs, prepaid, etc are and should be associated with the EOD scannable barcode and total.
It’s such a very small store we never miss a box. It’s basically an off brand version of a UPS store. I can already feel the response of the top head Union steward taking management side on this. This pickup is always on someone else’s route as well. So if they want to continue this courteous service then that’s their business, no skin off my back.

Their excuse is customers not being able to track their packages, which is weird due to the end of day and it being scanned 2 times in the hub when I take it back 🧐. But I’ll see what I can do tomorrow if that crap is on my route again

542thruNthru

Yes we have to scan NDA’s and letter boxes too, even if it’s ground

It’s such a very small store we never miss a box. It’s basically an off brand version of a UPS store. I can already feel the response of the top head Union steward taking management side on this. This pickup is always on someone else’s route as well. So if they want to continue this courteous service then that’s their business, no skin off my back.

Their excuse is customers not being able to track their packages, which is weird due to the end of day and it being scanned 2 times in the hub when I take it back 🧐. But I’ll see what I can do tomorrow if that crap is on my route again
You get paid by the hour brother. Quickest way to get management to give a damn about something is make it cost them.

Personally I would slowly and methodically scan every single package and load them perfectly. Soon that stop will become a issue. Wether it be air, over allowed, stop reduction or 9.5 at some point management is going to step in and tell the customer. "Yeah this isn't happening anymore!"