Has the union ever really helped you or do they always side with Management

Feistyascanbe

I often wonder what they do. I have been with UPS 21.5 years and I have only filed a grievance twice and neither time it didn't help. I work the 6-until shift, been on that shift the entire, I work p/t and have a full time job. I am an evening clerk I process packages with bad address, need apt number etc.... So last week I was told they were eliminating 2 of us and was asked if I wanted to go to car wash or pre load, 2 totally different shift and 2 different times. Management really wants me to quit I have been harassed and harassed and nothing has been. I complained to corporate, the union nothing. I just wonder is it worth sometimes. I was told they can move you to any shift they want to because it's not in the contract.

Feistyascanbe

Their replacing clerks now or just down sizing?
they constantly harass "us clerks" in this building they change our time, without telling us constantly, now their downsizing and changing the hours. 1 clerk will come in from 2-7 and 3 will come in 5-10. They only mess with us 5 because we all have over 21 years.

The union helps me by existing.

You want to know why they :censored2: with you? It's probably because your easy to :censored2: with.

Sups stopped putting packages on my belts when I started grieving them for it.

Sups stopped messing with the belt I stopped when I brought their scary full time over, listed every single safety violation they committed by turning it on for me, and then explained that if it happens again the next words out of my mouth are going to be "I'd like a safety comittee rep over here right now, I have an issue to report".

Sups stopped shaving my time when I started giving them formal notices for the discrepancies.

Sups fixed my scheduled start times when I grieved them when they didn't go in and manually fix the incorrect start times.

Sups stopped expecting me to move leakers when I started stopping the belt and started waiting for someone to move them out of my way.

Man, I could go on, and on, and on.

You want to know something? My PT sups are nice and respectful to me because they know I can make their lives hell. My full-times love me becuase I'm willing to work and will self direct unless the designated tape-gun fetcher for the day has decided to piss me off.

Leave me alone, I get my job done reasonably fast and exceptionally well. :censored2: with me and I will waste everyones time in the pettiest manner with a smile on my face because I'm getting paid every second of it.

Guess what? They leave me alone now. When I have a safety issue, it gets fixed quickly before I escalate. If I have a leaker, they move me to a different trailer while it gets fixed. Over 150 irreg? Someone comes and gets it becuase that belt isn't turning back on until it's gone.

UPS is what you make of it. For me, it's paradise.

Feistyascanbe

The union helps me by existing.

You want to know why they :censored2: with you? It's probably because your easy to :censored2: with.

Sups stopped putting packages on my belts when I start grieving them for it.

Sups stopped messing with the belt I stopped when I brought their scary full time over, listed every single safety violation they committed by turning it on for me, and then explained that if it happens again the next words out of my mouth are going to be "I'd like a safety comittee rep over here right now, I have an issue to report".

Sups stopped shaving my time when I started giving them formal notices for the discrepancies.

Sups fixed my scheduled start times when I grieved them when they didn't go in and manually fix the incorrect start times.

Sups stopped expecting me to move leakers when I started stopping the belt and started waiting for someone to move them out of my way.

Man, I could go on, and on, and on.

You want to know something? My PT sups are nice and respectful to me because they know I can make their lives hell. My full-times love me becuase I'm willing to work and will self direct unless the designated tape-gun fetcher for the day has decided to piss me off.

Leave me alone, I get my job done reasonably fast and exceptionally well. :censored2: with me and I will waste everyones time in the pettiest manner with a smile on my face because I'm getting paid every second of it.

Guess what? They leave me alone now. When I have a safety issue, it gets fixed quickly before I escalate. If I have a leaker, they move me to a different trailer while it gets fixed. Over 150 irreg? Someone comes and gets it becuase that belt isn't turning back on until it's gone.

UPS is what you make of it. For me, it's paradise.
You are absolutely correct I never grieve, but trust and believe I'm no push over either, but my Business Agent did say, if you don't complain, nothing will happen.
Right now I have a light off over my computer, so I can barely see, tomorrow will make 2 weeks and guess what, still not fixed. STILL NOT FIXED. I have contacted 4 people about this one light and still nothing........ I call out sick don't get paid my days. I have approved slips signed by my supervisor and still didn't paid for those days. Now these are about to change.

rod

Retired 22 years
I often wonder what they do. I have been with UPS 21.5 years and I have only filed a grievance twice and neither time it didn't help. I work the 6-until shift, been on that shift the entire, I work p/t and have a full time job. I am an evening clerk I process packages with bad address, need apt number etc.... So last week I was told they were eliminating 2 of us and was asked if I wanted to go to car wash or pre load, 2 totally different shift and 2 different times. Management really wants me to quit I have been harassed and harassed and nothing has been. I complained to corporate, the union nothing. I just wonder is it worth sometimes. I was told they can move you to any shift they want to because it's not in the contract.
Do you think you would have excellent health care and generous vacations without the Union? Part time pay could use some attention but name a company whose part timers make big money? Part time jobs were never intended to pay enough to support a family. They were for college kids to make a buck or two.

You are absolutely correct I never grieve, but trust and believe I'm no push over either, but my Business Agent did say, if you don't complain, nothing will happen.
Right now I have a light off over my computer, so I can barely see, tomorrow will make 2 weeks and guess what, still not fixed. STILL NOT FIXED. I have contacted 4 people about this one light and still nothing........ I call out sick don't get paid my days. I have approved slips signed by my supervisor and still didn't paid for those days. Now these are about to change.
Rule number one brother; they don't really care about you.

Your problems aren't their problems. You want your problems fixed? Make your problem into their problem.

You want to know what inadequate lighting sounds like to me? It sounds like an 'unsafe working condition'. You could trip, not see a leaker, or miss a sharp object poking out of the package. Ask for your safety committee. You have a problem to report. It'll make your head spin how fast that light gets fixed.

Didn't get paid? Give them a formal, written notice about the pay discrepancy. They still don't want to pay? File and ask for a green check if you can.

Nothing works? Keep. Filing. Make noise. Cause problems. If you stop, it looks like the problem is fixed when instead their just ignoring you. That long list of complaints isn't useless, it's a paper trail and a black mark on their record.

Feistyascanbe

Rule number one brother; they don't really care about you.

Your problems aren't their problems. You want your problems fixed? Make your problem into their problem.

You want to know what inadequate lighting sounds like to me? It sounds like an 'unsafe working condition'. You could trip, not see a leaker, or miss a sharp object poking out of the package. Ask for your safety committee. You have a problem to report. It'll make your head spin how fast that light gets fixed.

Didn't get paid? Give them a formal, written notice about the pay discrepancy. They still don't want to pay? File and ask for a green check if you can.

Nothing works? Keep. Filing. Make noise. Cause problems. If you stop, it looks like the problem is fixed when instead their just ignoring you. That long list of complaints isn't useless, it's a paper trail and a black mark on their record.
One of the last people I asked was our safety person and that was on Thursday, I will see if it's fixed when I go to work tonight. I know it wasn't fixed friday, I called out due to having a excruciating headache for being forced to work in the dark.
You're right, great advice.

One of the last people I asked was our safety person and that was on Thursday, I will see if it's fixed when I go to work tonight. You're right, great advice.
Put it in language they understand. Make them understand why it's a safety issue. If nothing gets done, start asking for the actual forms, fill them out, and ask for a personal copy for your records.

Nothing gets done?

Get a steward in there for unsafe working conditions. Steward in bed with the comapany? Escalate it. Talk to your BA.

Once you understand the actions they are afraid of you taking, you can start putting thing in language they fear and your problems fade away like they weren't a thing in the first place.

Then you start teaching people the wonders of knowing the rules.

I unironically love my job. It's a game that I get paid for playing.

Feistyascanbe

Put it in language they understand. Make them understand why it's a safety issue. If nothing gets done, start asking for the actual forms, fill them out, and ask for a personal copy for your records.

Nothing gets done?

Get a steward in there for unsafe working conditions. Steward in bed with the comapany? Escalate it. Talk to your BA.

Once you understand the actions they are afraid of you taking, you can start putting thing in language they fear and your problems fade away like they weren't a thing in the first place.

Then you start teaching people the wonders of knowing the rules.

I unironically love my job. It's a game that I get paid for playing.
I used to love my job too

I used to love my job too
Then stop being a doormat and fight for the job you want. Supervisors walking all over you is a 'you' problem. Union can't do :censored2: if you aren't complaining.

I'm going to tell you a little secret; If you make enough of a mess, after a certain point it becomes easier to just give you what you want. There are always going to be other door mats for them to walk over, but you need to stop being the lowest-hanging fruit.

Feistyascanbe

I have complained even called corporate on my supervisor and made a complaint and still nothing. Retaliation is the biggest issue in our building soon as you complain they make your life a living hell

Feistyascanbe

I spoke my business agent earlier basically UPS management can move you at time, to any shift they want, we have no rights, bottom line, these were her words.

Commercial Inside Release

I have complained even called corporate on my supervisor and made a complaint and still nothing. Retaliation is the biggest issue in our building soon as you complain they make your life a living hell
A lot of what you read on here is just wishful tough talk. They are trying hard to get rid of as many high seniority part time employees, as they can. If you are in a small center, far from your local, you are probably screwed.

Feistyascanbe

A lot of what you read on here is just wishful tough talk. They are trying hard to get rid of as many high seniority part time employees, as they can. If you are in a small center, far from your local, you are probably screwed.
My center is not small, we cover all of dc, and half of Maryland. I do believe they are trying to get rid of us

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
they constantly harass "us clerks" in this building they change our time, without telling us constantly, now their downsizing and changing the hours. 1 clerk will come in from 2-7 and 3 will come in 5-10. They only mess with us 5 because we all have over 21 years.

What does 21 years have to do with anything?