Has the union ever really helped you or do they always side with Management

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I often wonder what they do. I have been with UPS 21.5 years and I have only filed a grievance twice and neither time it didn't help. I work the 6-until shift, been on that shift the entire, I work p/t and have a full time job. I am an evening clerk I process packages with bad address, need apt number etc.... So last week I was told they were eliminating 2 of us and was asked if I wanted to go to car wash or pre load, 2 totally different shift and 2 different times. Management really wants me to quit I have been harassed and harassed and nothing has been. I complained to corporate, the union nothing. I just wonder is it worth sometimes. I was told they can move you to any shift they want to because it's not in the contract.
What union do you belong to?

In my Local BA Clerks are in a clerical union attached to the AFLCIO, not the Teamsters.

PACNW

I was a Steward for several years. Thankless job. Sounds like the company has the discretion to change the schedule to fit their operational needs. It sucks, but it's the reality. Sometimes the unions hands are tied.

I have heard people complain about stewards that are too friendly with management, myself included. I find that having a cordial relationship with the management team can help in cases like this. I have been in this type of situation before and was able to go "lobby" on behalf of the employee affected, with no contract language to back me up. I ask them to be reasonable and understanding about how this is going to harm this person outside of work. Almost always they'll try to play ball, even if you have to throw some subtle threats about how the relationship is going to change going forward if they don't do the right thing.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I often wonder what they do. I have been with UPS 21.5 years and I have only filed a grievance twice and neither time it didn't help. I work the 6-until shift, been on that shift the entire, I work p/t and have a full time job. I am an evening clerk I process packages with bad address, need apt number etc.... So last week I was told they were eliminating 2 of us and was asked if I wanted to go to car wash or pre load, 2 totally different shift and 2 different times. Management really wants me to quit I have been harassed and harassed and nothing has been. I complained to corporate, the union nothing. I just wonder is it worth sometimes. I was told they can move you to any shift they want to because it's not in the contract.
The union helped me on multiple occasions but that is not the point. The union helps everyone . You need to read the history of the union movement. The union not only helps union members. They help everyone else in the private sector.

It wasnt that long ago that drivers were forced to work almost around the clock. Children worked in sweatshops.Small examples. What the unions did for everyone in this country is too much to list.

Fought for with blood and guts over a very long period of time and people like you take it all for granted and by doing that you are weakening the union.

Corporations/businesses are always trying to whittle away worker rights and they are slowly succeeding because of apathy.

good luck.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Go in the small sort. Being there 21 years, you more than likely are near the top of the senority list.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm in teamsters local 639 in the Washington dc area.

What language in your supplement(s) provides for UPS only giving you these two options after being laid off with 21+years of part-time seniority?

Last edited:

70centerclerk

what classification are you?? some clerks that have been there a log time are classified as article 70 teamster union clerks and those jobs are grandfathered, supposedly they cant get rid of them until you leave.

HavenoEDD

I tell the young bucks all the time who moan about union dues etc to wait until management puts a target on their back due to performance, an accident or injury.
These same kids were laid off after peak and without their union job the company would of thrown them on the street. Still got their 40 hours and benefits all in thanks to the union.
Learn the contract, know how management reacts when you file grievances and cover your ass.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
yes. union shop stews helped me many times. BA several times.

closest I ever got fired was saying "youse people this or that" and I was only joking. but it turned into a federal case./'

most times they helped because of harassment. the company boot stompers finally left me alone once they realized I was gonna stick up for myself.

I credit a couple good strong stews on educating me on my rights.