Have an interview for a PT Supervisor position Monday, good idea or bad?

TheFigurehead

Who's idea is it to hire a PT sup off the street? How does this make any sense whatsoever?

It took me about 3 days to figure out I would never want to be a supervisor at UPS. I have plenty of supervisory experience, and I'm there specifically because of the hours (and benefits, but you don't get those for a year), so I thought maybe I'd think about it if the opportunity ever arose… but I clearly don't have the constitution or moral flexibility to rise to the level of shameless scumbaggery required to be a supervisor at UPS. I think even the dimmest of bulbs would figure it out before too long.

No one I work with would ever, even for a moment, consider taking a pt sup job. Occasionally, they snare a naive ambitious newbie, but that's their only hope.

Honestly, to me, it makes perfect sense to hire from outside. The longer someone is subject to managements tactics as an hourly employee, the less likely they are to buy into the propaganda they are required to spew, and the less willing to subject their former coworkers to the awful treatment they are forced to dole out as a supervisor. It's easier to convince someone that the "hourlies are all just lazy whiners who force the poor, innocent company to adhere to the outrageous and unfair terms of the evil contract the greedy union made them sign (at gunpoint)", if they have never done the job.

arctyler

Where are you going to school? SUNY Albany? St. Rose? Siena?

My daughter and what's his name both went to St. Rose.
How do I send a private message to you? Let's just say it goes by the local name of "Harvard on the Hudson", second year student, then I'm looking to possibly transfer to UAlbany

arctyler

I hear St Rose is really struggling.

Do they offer tuition reimbursement at the Latham hub?
It says they do when you fill out an online application, for both PH and Supes. And yeah I'm sure they are, I can't see myself spending upward of 40k a year for school, unless I have some serious scholarship

arctyler

You won't spend nearly that if you go to SUNY and live at home.
That's my game plan, SUNY schools rank pretty much among private schools for about $9k for tuition, thats wicked cheap compared to places like Siena. On top of that u can do a 5 year MBA program which is what I'd be shooting for at UAlbany

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I also want to take my NYSP exam next year after I get a degree with 60 credit hours and before I go on to a 4 year. If I can get in there, I probably won't go on to a 4 year

That's not a bad idea. 20-25 years to get a very good pension.

You should still go for the 4 year, if only for personal achievement.

DO NOT take the corrections officer exam.

That's my game plan, SUNY schools rank pretty much among private schools for about $9k for tuition, thats wicked cheap compared to places like Siena. On top of that u can do a 5 year MBA program which is what I'd be shooting for at UAlbany

St. Rose and Siena are outrageous and not nearly worth the money.

My son got his MBA from Clarkson. Cost him $55K for the one year program but the ROI has been well worth it.

arctyler

That's not a bad idea. 20-25 years to get a very good pension.

You should still go for the 4 year, if only for personal achievement.

DO NOT take the corrections officer exam.

St. Rose and Siena are outrageous and not nearly worth the money.

My son got his MBA from Clarkson. Cost him $55K for the one year program but the ROI has been well worth it.

Yeah I'm all set on the corrections exam, wouldn't want that job in a million years. I did take a local FD civil service exam since I'm already a volunteer Firefighter/EMT, out of like 200 people I got first ranking. So hopefully I'll do good on the NYSP exam. But depending if I can get into a local college like Albany, I'll probably continue onto my 4 year, but if I don't get into there, I'll probably be shooting to do good on my exam.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeah I'm all set on the corrections exam, wouldn't want that job in a million years. I did take a local FD civil service exam since I'm already a volunteer Firefighter/EMT, out of like 200 people I got first ranking. So hopefully I'll do good on the NYSP exam. But depending if I can get into a local college like Albany, I'll probably continue onto my 4 year, but if I don't get into there, I'll probably be shooting to do good on my exam.

My SIL is an Albany firefighter yet lives in Delmar. (Shhhh, don't tell anyone). He told me that the city was forced to "dumb down" the exam when a bunch of blacks complained that the tests were biased.