Have i waited to late for UPS

rainmaker099

rainmaker099
I WORKED FOR FRITO-LAY 5YEARS AND BUD THE BEER COMPANY lol for 5 years .Now I have been with UPS FOR 9 MONTHS AS A PRELOADER AND MAKE IT THROUHT PEAKED SEASON .REASON FOR LEAVING OTHER COMPANY TIRED OF THEM MESSING WITH MY MONEY AND 7 DAYS A WEEK .JUST WONDERING IF I'M TO OLD TO RETIRED FROM UPS THANKS

rocket man

YOU ARE HE ONLY ONE WHO CAN ANSWER THAT QUESTION .YOU MADE YOUR 30 YOU made it thru peak your on your way 1 day at a time.just look at it ths way say you dont stay and go to worrk for a mom and pop ect then what retirement do you have. the question is how much can you put up with. how long can you wait to be a driver there is 10000 things to ask good luck.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
rainmaker099,
You left out how old you are and what kind of physical shape you are in. If you are about 30-35, then I would say go for it. It sounds like you know how to run a route and moving cases of beer around is a lot tougher than what we do. And we don't have to handle all that cash either.

rainmaker099

rainmaker099
SORRY i JUST TUNED 32 AND I WAS A ROUTE TRAINER FOR BOTH COMPANYS AND CAN WAIT FOR A FT DRIVER AS LONG AS IT TAKES MY WIFE IS HEART NURSE 39 DOLLARS A HOUR

helenofcalifornia

You are only as old as you feel. Go for it! Wait out the waiting game to go driving and then do it. You will know long before you go full time driving if you can cut it or not. If you are working preload, that is one of the toughest jobs there and good preparation for driving. Go Saturday air driving to get the experience. Piece of cake. Don't let your own mind games get to you. Good luck.

rod

Retired 22 years
I say get back in the beer business. If the wifey poo is making 39 bucks an hour you should be enjoying life :happy2:

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
I was 35..Decent shape then..(Good NOW). My wife is a stay @ home mom and I work Preload in the A.M and work on Motorcycles, 4 Wheelers and Lawnmowers at the house(If not swing driving) after I get home from work. The only person I owe money to is my Mortgage company..No credit cards and vehicle notes..So, I think I'm in a decent position. Cant wait to go full time though! I SAY GIVE IT H * L L!

brownrodster

Go for it. Not long ago around here it was rare for someone younger than 30 to become a driver (because the wait was so long). They all did fine. I'm sure you will to! give it a shot.

Definately try saturday driving if the opportunity arises. This will help a lot!

In response to being too late for UPS, I had to work a couple of days before some of the centre workers questioned me about the same issue. Seeing that I'm almost 40 and now in my 3rd month as a Part Time driver, I've had more than one strange look or two.

When going through the hiring process and ultimately on to working at the centre, I'm now wondering if it was the right decision to even try on the uniform (although I do make it look good :wink2:) I also certainly had some misconceptions about the job. I wasn't worried about the hard work I just figured it would be be "different". I will say that I haven't worked there long enough to make my final judgement about being a UPSer... lets just wait and see if I can pass my probation period first!

My previous job as a member of a construction crew paid $4.00 more an hour than what I now make as a driver... (yes, you can make the argument that working from a truck is better than working in a physically demanding outdoor environment. I will also state that we had a 15 min. coffee break in the morning and a 1/2 lunch. How would you think UPS would react to someone walking away from the car and DIAD for 45 min.) All things being equal, it makes a typical working day at UPS (8.5 - 10 hr day) a money losing proposition. Factor your Part Time status, waiting time for benefits, union membership, time until optimum wage for Part Timers then after that, Full Time and the wait for maximum wage for that etc etc...

Please understand that I do know that there are always benefits and downsides to every job and every organization that people can work for. It just initially suprised me, when going through orientation, finding out that you may have to wait years to reap what you've sown during your tenure with UPS.

For arguments sake I'll use the much beaten dead horse, McDonald's analogy. You "could" put 3 years into McDonald's and become a store manager and while employed at UPS during the same time frame, you "could" still be Part Time, "on call" and/or a cover driver. Yes, you could be a superstar/be a lucky - unlucky Son Ofriend a Bun and venture into management and move onward and upward or to whatever area that you feel would satisfy your own needs. You have to know yourself if it's too late to work for UPS. I'm questioning it so don't worry, it's normal to have doubts. I know I've stated it before... don't wait too long to find out that the job is not a right fit for you. Don't waste too much time calling out "UPS!" when you could be be in a better posistion by asking "Would you like fries with that?"

Good Luck my friend

Last edited:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
The only person I owe money to is my Mortgage company..No credit cards and vehicle notes..So, I think I'm in a decent position. Cant wait to go full time though! I SAY GIVE IT H * L L!

Good for you! You're in a great spot! I'm 23 and a full-time graduate student. I owe money to the bank on my student loans ($20K+) but no other debts. I'm shooting for the late Fall of 2011 to have the debt paid off. Why then? BECAUSE I'M HOPING TO SPEND CHRISTMAS 2011 IN EUROPE!! Not a 'romantic' in the classical sense, either, so Paris is probably out. This'll be my reward to myself for carting that debt around for 3 years :happy-very:. -Rocky