Have my own route still forced to cover

jled067

I finally got my own route after 8.5 years of cover, but i come in and find that I'm covering a route due to lack of training by the supervisors. DO THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE ME COVER A ROUTE IF I HAVE MY OWN ROUTE? THANKS

Sent using BrownCafe App

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I finally got my own route after 8.5 years of cover, but i come in and find that I'm covering a route due to lack of training by the supervisors. DO THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE ME COVER A ROUTE IF I HAVE MY OWN ROUTE? THANKS

Sent using BrownCafe App

Is the driver running your route less senior than you?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
File every time you are bumped off if you want to run it. I am bid vacation coverage and I have had to file many times to be allowed to run the route that I bid for the week.

Lack of planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on your part.

jled067

Thanks for the responses, no my route is not a training route and yes the drivers they have cover my route have less seniority than me.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Cementups

Box Monkey
In our supplement we have this language installed:

ARTICLE 48 - Seniority
Section 7 - Bidding
*4. Package drivers shall be given the preference to select in their classification in the building, based on seniority, permanent vacancies, or when a permanent new area is established. The change is to be made within thirty (30) days unless extenuating circumstances apply.

In the event of an emergency or possible service delay, the Company may temporarily reassign the driver another area within the center but it is the Company’s intention that the cover drivers or junior drivers will cover runs unless desired by a senior employee. Full time bid package car drivers cannot be forced from their bid route more than seven (7) days per year. Forced shall not include a mutual agreement or when a bid area is temporarily eliminated.

Rainman

Its all good.
Thanks for the responses, no my route is not a training route and yes the drivers they have cover my route have less seniority than me.

Sent using BrownCafe App
File. They will continue to take advantage of you as long as you let it slide. I had the same thing happen to me years ago, and they didn't stop till I forced the issue.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
In our supplement we have this language installed:

ARTICLE 48 - Seniority
Section 7 - Bidding
*4. Package drivers shall be given the preference to select in their classification in the building, based on seniority, permanent vacancies, or when a permanent new area is established. The change is to be made within thirty (30) days unless extenuating circumstances apply.

In the event of an emergency or possible service delay, the Company may temporarily reassign the driver another area within the center but it is the Company’s intention that the cover drivers or junior drivers will cover runs unless desired by a senior employee. Full time bid package car drivers cannot be forced from their bid route more than seven (7) days per year. Forced shall not include a mutual agreement or when a bid area is temporarily eliminated.

Dude! Are you a Stuart?

jled067

Thanks for that information. I plan dont on letting this happen often but with the morons running my building I see "emergencies " happening often. At least I know it can't happen more than 7 times in a year.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Cementups

Box Monkey
Thanks for that information. I plan dont on letting this happen often but with the morons running my building I see "emergencies " happening often. At least I know it can't happen more than 7 times in a year.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Check your supplement first. Like I said, this is the supplement in my area, Central PA.
Good luck!

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
You were a coverage driver for a long time. You've proven you can do that. management gets in a bind with too many routes and not enough drivers...hmmmmm jled knows every route, let's break it off in him today. And keep breaking it off until he stands up to us. You've been here 9 years, surely you know how the cow eats the cabbage at this outfit. The only way to get their attention is to start getting them to write checks for their screw ups.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You were a coverage driver for a long time. You've proven you can do that. management gets in a bind with too many routes and not enough drivers...hmmmmm jled knows every route, let's break it off in him today. And keep breaking it off until he stands up to us. You've been here 9 years, surely you know how the cow eats the cabbage at this outfit. The only way to get their attention is to start getting them to write checks for their screw ups.
I was just gonna say. Man those days I got bumped off sure as hell wouldn't be my top days performance wise.

jr32bad

Happen to me last peak filed 15 grievances needless to say it doesn't happen any more they got the point

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
They can ask you to run another route but not force you off your bid route. Many drivers will voluntarily run another route either because that route is better than their own or they just feel like a change. You have to agree to the move though.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our new center manager has stated several times during PCMs that we can be "asked" to cover routes other than our own as the situation dictates. He has forced several lower seniority bid drivers to jump but has yet to try this with any of the older guys.