Have to deliver air the day after thanksgiving?

trickpony1

Ask your BA if you can file for whatever guarantee you would be entitled to for reporting to work, as instructed, and then being sent home.
I think you should be able to.

teneg

Ask your BA if you can file for whatever guarantee you would be entitled to for reporting to work, as instructed, and then being sent home.
I think you should be able to.
Thanks, and what is a BA. Ive only been driving about six months, hired off the streets, and dont know what that is.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, and what is a BA. Ive only been driving about six months, hired off the streets, and dont know what that is.

The "BA" is the Teamster Union Business Agent, he should be coming around and visiting your Center in the morning on a regular basis.

mittam

As I understand it, Thanksgiving is a UPS HOLIDAY...
If you VOLUNTEER to work it is holiday pay plus time and a half hours worked...
IF they DEMAND you work it is holiday pay plus DOUBLE:thumbup1: time for hours worked...

that is my understanding but you need to talk to the Union to be clear

That is the old way of paying,lots of senior drivers would not work because they got 1 1/2 pay as to the double those being forced to work received. Last contract signed everyone working on seniority basis gets double time, whether they volunteered or are forced.UPS has the right to force from bottom up to complete the schedule if needed, and yes it is double time. It is always double time even if 40 hours has not been reached, we have no rule saying overtime pay is only after 40 hrs.I understand that different areas may have different riders on this but CS and master contract it is double time working the scheduled holiday.Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving Day and stay safe through the peak season after all the most important stop is the one you make when you get home each day.

I have a question, i was forced to come in today to deliver air. Once i got there (30 min drive) they sent me along with 6 other drivers home. This is complete codswallop. Am i entitled to anything for management friend*&#ing up my holiday?
You were forced to show and then sent home,thats 8 hrs at the prevailing rate for the day. File away,thats an easy shot.

SmithBarney

ahh.. finally a taste of what the local DHL drivers do all day... 29 stops.
200 miles... and alot of nothing going on...
yeah and half of those stops were CLH.
I hope UPS things its a wise choise running drivers for double time
to closed businesses.. I'm sure in big cities it works better, but not here.

Overpaid Union Thug

I ended up with "The Money Route" yesterday. I expected to work about 3-4 hours like everyone else and to be at home with my parents, who are in town visiting, but ended up working just over 7 hours. I had 55 stops covering 103 miles! Yes it was an easy day, pay coded at 03, and lots of "windshield time", but I was looking forward to family time. Oh well. I'm an air driver/cover driver so shouldn't my pay code have been 3A? I was told by the sups to code 03 like the full-timers. I'm wondering what my pay will be. I worked as a cover driver Monday, Tues, Wed. I don't know if that effects things.

xracer

As always these things vary as to where you are located in the country, here in Upstate NY we receive straight pay for the first 8 hrs and then go to triple pay for anything exceeding that. I personally used my seniority, was number 3 man working, and got 11hours all of which was windshield time sitting in my nice shiny new tractor.

hoser

Industrial Slob
You were forced to show and then sent home,thats 8 hrs at the prevailing rate for the day. File away,thats an easy shot.
8 hours showup pay :confused:1:confused:1:confused:1:confused:1

At least in my province, the law requires a minimum 3 hours of pay. Other provinces isn't higher than 4 hours.

Unless the union has it in the agreement that all drivers get a full day of showup pay. I don't think the union is that good.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As always these things vary as to where you are located in the country, here in Upstate NY we receive straight pay for the first 8 hrs and then go to triple pay for anything exceeding that. I personally used my seniority, was number 3 man working, and got 11hours all of which was windshield time sitting in my nice shiny new tractor.

​Didn't that change in the last contract?