headphones

Gazelle

Race me!
Just because there is no security doesn't mean you can bring in whatever you want. Clean in/out is a company policy. The center manager has every right to say no headphones.

oldngray

nowhere special
Clean in/out is NOT company policy. It may be that way in your area but it is not a universal rule. Headphones may or may not be allowed but it varies between centers.

Nimnim

The Nim
Clean in/out is NOT company policy. It may be that way in your area but it is not a universal rule. Headphones may or may not be allowed but it varies between centers.

It is a company policy, whether the company wants to deploy it unilaterally or not doesn't change it is a company policy.

I will go back to an earlier statement though. It's being allowed in one but not both ears, why is this even a complaint?

HubBub

Our buildings are prisonlike enough as it is, let's not make it more so. An approved phone (stickered) and headphones (one ear) seems reasonable.

oldngray

nowhere special
It is a company policy, whether the company wants to deploy it unilaterally or not doesn't change it is a company policy.

I will go back to an earlier statement though. It's being allowed in one but not both ears, why is this even a complaint?

No phones allowed? Then why does company frequently try to get drivers to contact them with their personal phones. And is there any management person who does not bring in his own phone to work? Clea in/out obviously does not apply there. And many drivers have personal radios in their vehicles (since no vehicle has a radio installed) and has always been allowed. Headphones while driving is another issue but does not mean radios are never allowed. Be consistent and in this situation go by past practice.

Nimnim

The Nim
No phones allowed? Then why does company frequently try to get drivers to contact them with their personal phones. And is there any management person who does not bring in his own phone to work? Clea in/out obviously does not apply there. And many drivers have personal radios in their vehicles (since no vehicle has a radio installed) and has always been allowed. Headphones while driving is another issue but does not mean radios are never allowed. Be consistent and in this situation go by past practice.

Drivers in my hub can easily get a sticker for their phone, if they use it for company business that's their problem. On my shift in the hub the only people who have gotten stickers for their phones are either the safety sup or FT and higher management, anyone else is ignoring policy and/or sneaking it in. As far as radios bringing it in is one thing, taking it back out is another. As I stated we have our mechanics with radios and at least in the past radios were in the small sort. They aren't going in and out every day with them. I expect any driver who brought in a radio and put it in a package car to have to get a pass to take it out.

I'm not allowed to bring my phone in, but I'm in the hub for 3-6 hours every day. I can live without a phone for that long. A driver on the road should be allowed to have a phone with them, they're out of the building for 6-12 hours a day and not always within reasonable distance of a phone. A drivers personal phone should be used for emergencies, not day to day company business, the diad is for that. A driver who is broadsided by a clueless person blowing through a stop sign should be able to pick up their phone, contact emergency services and UPS personnel for expedited response. A driver who's going to be late on a pickup should use the diad to notify management.

oldngray

nowhere special
Drivers in my hub can easily get a sticker for their phone, if they use it for company business that's their problem. On my shift in the hub the only people who have gotten stickers for their phones are either the safety sup or FT and higher management, anyone else is ignoring policy and/or sneaking it in. As far as radios bringing it in is one thing, taking it back out is another. As I stated we have our mechanics with radios and at least in the past radios were in the small sort. They aren't going in and out every day with them. I expect any driver who brought in a radio and put it in a package car to have to get a pass to take it out.

I'm not allowed to bring my phone in, but I'm in the hub for 3-6 hours every day. I can live without a phone for that long. A driver on the road should be allowed to have a phone with them, they're out of the building for 6-12 hours a day and not always within reasonable distance of a phone. A drivers personal phone should be used for emergencies, not day to day company business, the diad is for that. A driver who is broadsided by a clueless person blowing through a stop sign should be able to pick up their phone, contact emergency services and UPS personnel for expedited response. A driver who's going to be late on a pickup should use the diad to notify management.

Exactly. There are some places where phones make sense. My point was its not a firm company policy and if anyone wants to say there is a written rule against it should refer to past practice. And I agree personal items should get a sticker or a pass if taken out of building. And I for one refused to use my phone every time the center wanted me to. That is what a DIAD is for.

Gazelle

Race me!
Exactly. There are some places where phones make sense. My point was its not a firm company policy and if anyone wants to say there is a written rule against it should refer to past practice. And I agree personal items should get a sticker or a pass if taken out of building. And I for one refused to use my phone every time the center wanted me to. That is what a DIAD is for.

I am just making the statement that it is a company policy, and if the center manager decides to enforce it, it's his choice. I have a pass for my phone yes, as does anyone with a legitimate reason. There are no stickers given for iPods, or headphones, etc. These aren't considered necessities.

Clean in/out is meant to protect us!

Random_Facts

In our (large hub about 300 drivers). The preload/unload section are allowed to wear earbuds and listen to their music. Could you imagine the riot you would get if they didn't allow music in the building? Besides music helps pass the time. No music = miserable. Which equals worse load quality, which equals a not happy driver. See the down hill effect?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Our preloaders have a stereo they listen to. They take turns as to the choice of music. I think, for the most part, they are pretty agreeable on the choices.