Heat in Warehouse

I'm sure that it's quite uncomfortable... but there IS a heater, is there not? The master agreement states every truck must have a functioning heater.

A halfass heater in an insulated steel box that has no heat in the back and makes frequent stops that let what little heat there is out.

Not exactly a Cadillac with heated seats.

TheFigurehead

The can blow out l the hot air it wants. Makes no difference when there's more cold air coming into the package car.

A halfass heater in an insulated steel box that has no heat in the back and makes frequent stops that let what little heat there is out.

Not exactly a Cadillac with heated seats.

I'm sure... however, this isn't a contest about who's got it worse... it's a thread about UPS not following the contract (provided the heat is off, not broken). Yeah, drivers have it worse, but, on the other hand, a driver can afford to go out and buy the proper gear for the weather. A new package handler doesn't have that ability, making $8.50 an hour.

Regardless... UPS providing a less than stellar heater in your PC is in line with the contract. Refusing to turn on the heat in the building (if that's the case) is a clear violation of contract.

Move faster! Yea, there is nothing like getting paid 14 dollars a hour and break your back in 21 degrees unloading a ireg trailer because the company doesn't want to pay a heating bill. Go home and turn the heat off in your house see how your family likes it.

Look at the bright side.

In 7 months you can come back and complain about getting paid $14 hr , breaking your back, in 100* weather

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'm sure... however, this isn't a contest about who's got it worse... it's a thread about UPS not following the contract (provided the heat is off, not broken). Yeah, drivers have it worse, but, on the other hand, a driver can afford to go out and buy the proper gear for the weather. A new package handler doesn't have that ability, making $8.50 an hour.

Regardless... UPS providing a less than stellar heater in your PC is in line with the contract. Refusing to turn on the heat in the building (if that's the case) is a clear violation of contract.

You started the butthurt.

What do the package handlers wear in this weather when they're not at work?

It is if that's the case.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Move faster! Yea, there is nothing like getting paid 14 dollars a hour and break your back in 21 degrees unloading a ireg trailer because the company doesn't want to pay a heating bill. Go home and turn the heat off in your house see how your family likes it.
Look at the bright side.
In 7 months you can come back and complain about getting paid $14 hr , breaking your back, in 100* weather
From an IE perspective, it averages out so, "No problem"!

TheFigurehead

when I preloaded it was about 40 degrees on the boxline in winter. Even colder if any doors were open. We all had to wear jackets when loading. None of this sissy running around in shorts like now.

I don't know where you worked, but it was -17 in Chicago last night, with a -35 wind chill and about 10 degrees in the building. In the trailers, it was -17, given they'd been sitting out all day... with about a 25 mph wind as the, clearly, mentally deficient drivers parking the trucks couldn't be bothered to get within 20" of the bay.

Any time it's under 20 I've got to put on the faux-Carhart overalls, knock off body armor, jeans, two pair of socks, a shirt, two flannels, a hoodie a jacket and a wool hat. 40 degrees, frankly, sounds like paradise, to me.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Been loading for over 7 years...i'll take loading in a cold building over a humid 99 degree day anytime. Back when I started....buildings were always cold in winter....they'd have bay doors open, we could see it snow as we loaded. Now, they blast the heat so much, I load in shorts and tshirts year round.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Leaving for work now the building is 10'wide with overhead doors on each side the whole length and it it 12 frickin degrees..........nice in the spring and summer though

TheFigurehead

What do the package handlers wear in this weather when they're not at work?

I'm guessing, like most normal people, they don't spend 3-5 hours at a time in outdoor temperatures. Attire that is suitable for a quick trip to the store is not often suitable to stave off hypothermia and frostbite for long periods of time.

Besides, we're experiencing cold we haven't seen in 20+ years. Just like UPS can't be expected to staff for peak year round, people can't be expected to purchase and keep winterwear made for arctic explorers for a cold snap that comes less than once a lifetime or two... it's not financially prudent.

We could go on passing the blame off on employees who were told they'd be working in a (at least somewhat) heated environment and (at least somewhat) sheltered from the outside... or having a pi$$ing contest over who's the coldest... or UPS could turn on / fix the heat as per their contractual obligations... not to mention basic common decency.

I don't know where you worked, but it was -17 in Chicago last night, with a -35 wind chill and about 10 degrees in the building. In the trailers, it was -17, given they'd been sitting out all day
Where should we put them?

... with about a 25 mph wind as the, clearly, mentally deficient drivers parking the trucks couldn't be bothered to get within 20" of the bay.
And when is the last time you've ever had to spot a trailer, in the dark, in a 25 mph wind blown white out from the snow? Lines on the ground covered, poor lighting, looking at something 53" behind you and trying not hit anything else in the process? When you can do it better then come on here and give us pointers.

If the "mentally deficient driver didn't get in straight then have your sup call to have it corrected.

Any time it's under 20 I've got to put on the faux-Carhart overalls, knock off body armor, jeans, two pair of socks, a shirt, two flannels, a hoodie a jacket and a wool hat. 40 degrees, frankly, sounds like paradise, to me.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm guessing, like most normal people, they don't spend 3-5 hours at a time in outdoor temperatures. Attire that is suitable for a quick trip to the store is not often suitable to stave off hypothermia and frostbite for long periods of time.

Besides, we're experiencing cold we haven't seen in 20+ years. Just like UPS can't be expected to staff for peak year round, people can't be expected to purchase and keep winterwear made for arctic explorers for a cold snap that comes less than once a lifetime or two... it's not financially prudent.

We could go on passing the blame off on employees who were told they'd be working in a (at least somewhat) heated environment, (at least somewhat) sheltered from the outside... or having a pi$$ing contest over who's the coldest... or UPS could turn on / fix the heat as per their contractual obligations... not to mention basic common decency.

I thought you were going down the path that UPS can't be expected to be able to heat a building while "...we're experiencing cold we haven't seen in 20+ years."

Reread your post and notice how you apparently build a case for UPS and then state the opposite.
You will not be allowed on the "BC Debate Team" until you correct this behavior.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

We could go on passing the blame off on employees who were told they'd be working in a (at least somewhat) heated environment and (at least somewhat) sheltered from the outside... or having a pi$$ing contest over who's the coldest... or UPS could turn on / fix the heat as per their contractual obligations... not to mention basic common decency.
Or the OP could just unload faster....and he won't be so cold.

oldngray

nowhere special
I thought you were going down the path that UPS can't be expected to be able to heat a building while "...we're experiencing cold we haven't seen in 20+ years."

Reread your post and notice how you apparently build a case for UPS and then state the opposite.
You will not be allowed on the "BC Debate Team" until you correct this behavior.
ThreadPolice.jpg

Did they just move to Illinois?
Oh, and oh my gosh, 3-5 hours in a building for the most part out of the weather. Come outside with the drivers for up to 14 hours and get back to us.

Finacially prudent? As I said above, Is this their first visit to Illinois in January? Who doesn't have winter clothing?

Yes they are supposed to have the heat on. But even with it this is the cold time of the year. Take some personal responsibility and dress appropriately. Or, get the job at McD's making fries. It's warm year round there.

oldngray

nowhere special
These conditions are extreme and colder than in most years. You can't plan for every year to be like this - just deal with it as best you can when it happens. I was talking to someone going to a college in TN. They don't insulate the buildings since it seldom gets that cold. Pipes froze and flooded a science lab today.

TheFigurehead

Where should we put them?

Maybe I wasn't as clear as I could have been. That's to be expected. Most of them were probably on the road all day. No one is claiming we should be warming up trailers.

And when is the last time you've ever had to spot a trailer, in the dark, in a 25 mph wind blown white out from the snow? Lines on the ground covered, poor lighting, looking at something 53" behind you and trying not hit anything else in the process? When you can do it better then come on here and give us pointers.

If the "mentally deficient driver didn't get in straight then have your sup call to have it corrected.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/heat-in-warehouse.354366/page-2#ixzz2pkl9kS6M

I've never done that... and have no desire to. That said, our lot is lit as bright as the sun, well plowed, salted, with all lines visible. Granted, there was some wind, but no falling or drifting snow. The fact of the matter is they just didn't care. I can't do better, but it isn't my job either. If I did my job with such wanton disregard, I'd be shown the door in short order.

As for my supervisor... believe me, I made him aware of it. He refused to have it moved, and sent the FT sup to move me to a different job (not a different trailer), over my objections, leaving the issue for someone else. I'm filing on that one... but that is neither here nor there.

TheFigurehead

I wasn't making a case for UPS. UPS is obligated to have the heat on. It's effectiveness is not addressed by the contract. The OP's hub has the heat OFF, which is violation.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I wasn't making a case for UPS. UPS is obligated to have the heat on. It's effectiveness is not addressed by the contract. The OP's hub has the heat OFF, which is violation.

That was an assumption and may very well be true.
I would assume not since there were busted pipes and ice on the floor.
It is more logical that there was a problem with the heating system.

Seriously?

The OP's hub has heat. UPS doesn't want to turn it on.

UPS has a responsibility to provide a reasonably safe workplace. I don't think asking them to flip a switch to turn on the heat is an unreasonable request in terms of employee safety. The only reason not to is greed.

This is just another example of the company putting a few pennies above the safety of it's employees. You are ok with that?

You'd be ok being sent out in -6 degrees with no heat in your truck? Somehow, I doubt it.

This isn't a private business owner trying to decide whether to turn on the heat or make payroll this week. It's UPS. They can afford it. There is no morally justifiable reason to force anyone to endure those conditions.
They do it for three reasons. You work faster when you're cold and the save money on gas. Plus they have no regard for how you feel.