Heat in Warehouse

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
This thread is an important topic for people who are experiencing this record cold and conditions.
Moderation at times is done to keep a thread on topic.
This is not the first time or the last that moderation occurs for this purpose.

Rod

And if I were to grieve citing past practices?:wink-very:

upscat

I'm guessing, like most normal people, they don't spend 3-5 hours at a time in outdoor temperatures. Attire that is suitable for a quick trip to the store is not often suitable to stave off hypothermia and frostbite for long periods of time.

you're digging to save a lost argument. Parttimers own warm clothing. Admit it, move on and stay focused on the companies obligation to heat the building.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
you're digging to save a lost argument. Parttimers own warm clothing. Admit it, move on and stay focused on the companies obligation to heat the building.
Obligated to heat the building to what temperature?

Is it 50 degrees friend?

Or is it 30 degrees higher than the outside temp?

upscat

i think its 50. of course if they open the bay doors a lot then the building wont stay there. busted pipes sounds like the heating system went down. mechanical issues abound when the temperature goes extreme. thats why the service stations get bombarded with battery problems when the weather turns super cold.

TheFigurehead

I realize that... I let cachsux lead me on some strange tangents before I got tired of it. Not that there is anything wrong with the guy... it's just that there really isn't all that much to discuss about the issue. It's pretty clear UPS has an obligation to run the heat if it's not broken... and no one is really debating that. If we're not splitting hairs (the heat sucks anyway... how much heat are they required to provide? etc...) or turning it into a pi$$ing contest (package cars are colder than hubs... if you can't handle the cold, go work at McDonalds)... the thread would have died on the first page.

So, yeah... most of the thread (my replies included) is only tangentially related to the OP's question, it never hurts to have more active threads in here.

My point was the OP is going to get cold in the meantime whether UPS fixes the heat or not. What should he do? Dress accordingly.

Figurehead went on the "drivers would complain" "mentally deficient drivers...." and I retorted that maybe he should get his butt outside with us or quit his complaining.

As far as heat, UPS is contractually obligated to attempt to heat the building but their is no defined temp. Heating it in 30* weather is going to feel a lot warmer than in -20*. What's the solution for any of us? Dress accordingly.

If that's not good enough then as I mentioned there's much warmer jobs one can apply for.

TheFigurehead

Figurehead went on the "drivers would complain" "mentally deficient drivers...." a

Not quite.

First and foremost, the mentally deficient drivers comment was about whoever has been parking the trailers the last few days at my particular hub... These are our hub's guys, more often than not, parking the trailers, at least on my shift... not the driver that brings them to the yard. Their inability to hit the bays since the first of the year is finally being addressed, however, as the sups had them reposition just about every trailer last night. I assume someone injured themselves or lost a package out the gap unknowingly, as they, typically, don't care about that sort of thing unless they have to.

As for the rest... frame it however you'd like. The conversation is all here in the thread. I'm not going to worry about your summation of it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
My point was the OP is going to get cold in the meantime whether UPS fixes the heat or not. What should he do? Dress accordingly.

Figurehead went on the "drivers would complain" "mentally deficient drivers...." and I retorted that maybe he should get his butt outside with us or quit his complaining.

As far as heat, UPS is contractually obligated to attempt to heat the building but their is no defined temp. Heating it in 30* weather is going to feel a lot warmer than in -20*. What's the solution for any of us? Dress accordingly.

If that's not good enough then as I mentioned there's much warmer jobs one can apply for.
Exactly! Let the whining OP go out as a helper in minus 15 degree weather....he'll wish he was back unloading trailers in his unheated building....lol