heat

D

dannyboy

Abuck

HEhehe, when I wear shorts in the wenter, I just tell my customers I am saving time. Keeps me from having to ice my ankles and knees when I get home.
d

A

abuckover

LOL! I like that one- I think I'll add it to my repetoire of on the route one liners. I like to tell them that its a shame to keep beautiful legs like mine hidden away from the world. If you saw my legs you'd see the humour.

K

kidlogic

I wont give my center or state ,but we have a heated center. Air unit has it's own heating system. Its part of saftey. 1 good injury caused by the cold could pay for heating the building for the year. Cold bodies lead to muscles which tend not to be as flexable. This leads to pulls. We notice these type of injuries in the early spring and late fall when some drivers wear shorts a little sooner or a little later then they should. Do all you can to get the heat. In the end it's a good investment.

D

dannyboy

So when is that, Kid. The time that is too early or too late to wear shorts?

And how is it that the temps were responsible for those injuries? That sounds like something interesting to know.

d

K

kidlogic

The saftey guy for our state stated to me....not my opinion...That he saw a higher rate of pulls and strains in those drivers wearing shorts early in the spring and late in the fall. He also notice that those injuries ussual happended early in the day or in the evening when the body had a chance to cool down.

D

deliver_man

The safety guy for the state knows who wears shorts???

LOL, I was thinking the same thing.....is he hiding in the bushes?

D

dammor

Are ya'll watching the game? I'll bet the safety man is. He should call the NFL and tell those cheerleaders to get some long pants on quick.
I'm thinking there will surely be some pulls and strains if they don't listen to his sound advice.

K

kidlogic

LIKE I said it wasnt my opinion.It was what he said.How he knew I dont know. But anyone who plays sports would realize that if you dont keep your body warm then you would be acceptable to injuries....thats why there are warm ups .... I thought that was common knowledge...didnt realize a simple concept didnt make sense.

D

dannyboy

Kid
All I can say is y'all a bunch of pansy***ed little girls in your state. If shorts are that dangerous for you then maybe you ought to turn them in for something else.........like some depends maybe.

Damn, Shorts causing drivers to hurt themselves, who would of ever thought.

d

K

kidlogic

I was only relaying information given by our saftey guy. Which I thought was the purpose of this board. How you can argue that a cooler body is as flexable as warm body??? The saftey guy's reason for telling us that is so those who choose to wear shorts during those times make sure their bodies are warmed up before going all out. What doesnt make sense?????? Sound like a solid safety tip to me.

D

dammor

Time to give kid a break.

Sorry kid, just having fun. I've got my sweats on now and am glad my shorts are in the drawer where they will stay till next summer. Have a good week.

D

dannyboy

Kid

THere is one problem with your "state safety guy's" statement. Or you misunderstood it.

As someone involved in safety at the state level, he knows to look for the root cause, not just a superficial, feel good answer. The shorts thing is that feel good answer.

AS YOU stated it is not the shorts, it is the drivers not warming up before they become active. It has nothing to do with the shorts. Unless he/she has a hidden agenda. ITs like stating that long pants cause heatstroke in the summer. The correlation is just not supportable with the evidence.

Just MHO
happy.gif

K

kidlogic

I dont think I misunderstood him. If your center is using CHSP (comprehensive health and saftey process). Then this would make complete sense. This is how it works. Example: A local sorter is in a feeder and turns his ankle by stepping on a package. The old school of thinking would be to instruct the employee to make sure he or she is clearing ones walk path and that would be the end. CHSP would do the same , but look at the whole picture. After talking to the employee we find that the reason the employee is walking in the feeder is because there are missing rollers and packages keep fallen off. The CHSP solution to the same employee..advise him on clearing his work path and make sure that there are spare rollers that are to be place before the loading.
It's a cause and effect. Take away ALL the causes direct or indirect and a injury maybe avoided. Same with your short and pant arguement. If it were 110 degrees out and you are wearing pants which hold in heat to the largest muscle group of the body and you got heat stroke.Would you really say the pants in no way had any impact on how hot your body got????? That the pants had completely nothing to do with heat stroke. UUUUmm no you wouldnt. Same with shorts in the cold months. Is there any benifit to keeping your muscles warm so they can be flexable and have the same strength as pants..yes. Do shorts provide the opposite...yes
Cause and effect Another post beaten to death
sad1.gif

D

dannyboy

Kid

You made my point. The missing rollers are not the problem, walking on packages is.

You know, sometime, somewhere, people have to start taking responsibility for their actions. You can blame it on the rollers all day long. The bottom line is that the guy was just too lazy to keep a clear walk path. Not the rollers fault, not the packages fault, its the loaders. If there is an equipment problem, it needs to be fixed, for sure. But dont blame the equipment for poor work habits/methods that cause an injury.

And the shorts are the same thing. Shorts dont cause the problem. Lack of proper warm up does. And to solve the problem, that is what you have to focus on, not if I wear shorts too early or too late.

d

F

fups

i beg to differ..... 70mill on a hub and packages can't even stay on the belt at my hub..?? yeah yeah...clear a path,but dang build stuff that runs!!

we ain't got no band Randy!!

D

dannyboy

Kid

What the heck did you think we were wearing before shorts came out? And before summer weight pants?

And it was only four or five years before I started, that they were still wearing ties while delivering.

There is a BIG difference between comfort zone and safety. Dont get the two confused.

d

S

slyguy

The heat is a minor problem which is overlooked by most employees and all management unless you have heat. People, this is why we have a company who abuses us, a political union which has an open pocket policy and outdated old school methods.

Too all shorts people, please turn off your heat at home since you think it's a silly for this complaint in the warehouse.

U

upslocal480

The past week or so has been horrible here weather wise. Usually in the winter it'll be cold outside of course but a reasonable temperature inside the center. This year started out the same but the bad weather we have been having has took it's toll. It's been anywhere between 0 degrees to a high of 20 I believe. When it's that cold here the temperature inside the center usually matches the temp. outside the building. LITERALLY! We only have a couple of heaters (outside of the offices) and they are located just above our clerk station and one down in the wing that really isn't used by reload much. We couldn't even wash trucks tonight because the pipes were all frozen and one of the eye wash stations busted this morning during preload. We have to wear AT least 5 layers of clothing just to be able to stand the conditions. I sure wish there was something in our contract that made sure an adequate number of heaters were available in all centers/hubs. We have never complained about the heat or cold until now. We might as well be working outside. LOL

D

dannyboy

ME too. It was 0-12 with a windchill of -20 or so. Had to wear 5 or so layers just to stay warm. I might as well be working outside.......hell I do work out side, for at least 9.5 to 11 hours a day, not just 3 or 4. And even with the doors shut and the heater going full blast, it still didnt melt the ice on the windsheild. And I have been doing that since most of you were a twinkle in your daddies eyes.

You know, there are just some things about some jobs that you cant control. Get over it. Deal with it. Do your job. Bitch about it if you must, just dont cry to me, Ive dealt with it for a lot longer than the most of you and for more hours a day. It will get better. Its called SPRING
biggrin.gif

d