Help, Im failing.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Not a UPS post.
There is no techy area, if their is, I cant find it.
My wonderful son got me I think a laptop. It also has windows 8. It might be a netbook. I registered it, does not tell me what it is!!!!!!! First off I dont know how to use a laptop, and Ive watched all the vids on 8 and Im ready to scream.
He thinks I am really smart. I dont want to ruin that belief :surprised:.
My husband who cant post a pic on the desktop, is sitting on the couch doing just fine with it. I cannot admit to him, every time I use it, I get lost.
He
told me I could make the screen a touch screen and use it like my smartphone. He doesnt know it took me days to learn to answer my smartphone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I play with it but I guess I touch it too hard. Anyone know where to get a simple tutorial on acer, I went to the site, its dumb. It doesnt even list the one I have.
And all the tutorials on windows 8 on Youtube, make my eyes get crossed.

Tell hubby that if he shows you how to run the computer you won't complain if he looks at " entertainment " when you're not around. With that incentive you'll be the next Bill Gates in less than a week.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Indecision is right----Windows 7 is much easier to navigate than Windows 8. I bought my son a refurbished hp laptop for Christmas and made sure it had Windows 7, not 8. I was told that there may be compatability issues with peripherals (printers) that run fine on 7 if he tried to use 8.

You should not have to delete Windows 8 to upload and use Windows 7.

...or you could spend your 4 day weekend learning Windows 8...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you are not computer literate then do yourself a favor and install windows 7. Windows 8 is very confusing since it was really made for smartphones/tablets. Or if you really want to keep win8 then look into this program : Start8 for Windows� 8 - Bringing back the Windows Start menu It will make windows8 look and feel like 7. There is a free 30 day trial.

Agreed. I picked up a new laptop with Win8 and I'm not a fan, unless you've got a touchscreen it kinda sucks actually.
I installed Classic Shell, which is basically the same as Start8 except it's free and there's no trial period. I'm also considering wiping it and sticking Win7 on it, but I'll give it a while longer and see if it grows on me.

DS

Fenderbender
We'll all be playin' with our laptops
We're gonna master soon
We're tweaking up our surfboards
We can't wait for June
And windows 8 was a mistake
For me safari to stay
Tell your son that you've been surfin'
Surfin' Browncafe

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Trade it in on a Mac!:surprised:

Apple is total ****

the greatest lie Apple ever told was that it's simple and intuitive to use for anyone, and that they never break

i can't tell you how many people i've had to walk through even the simplest functions on an Apple, or the number of times i've seen one break

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm on an iPad as we speak and just bought an iMac last spring that the kids talked me in to. So far so good. A little confusing at times but I only do the basic functions.

trickpony1

We'll all be playin' with our laptops
We're gonna master soon
We're tweaking up our surfboards
We can't wait for June
And windows 8 was a mistake
For me safari to stay
Tell your son that you've been surfin'
Surfin' Browncafe

Rap it to us!
I still think you, upstate and, now, TOS would make a good Rap trio........

kingOFchester

i can't tell you how many people i've had to walk through even the simplest functions on an Apple, or the number of times i've seen one break

Mom is 72 years young. Almost every other weekend I was over at her house helping her with her windows OS (windows7). Fixing it because she locked the screen orientation. Change the size of the font. Pop ups. Downloading new antivirus. Reconnecting to the internet. So on and so on. Imac, I am down to about semi monthly at best. Still visit, but not having to tinker with her electronic devices.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

1)Except for doing assessments at work yearly, I probably haven't touched a Windows machine for 10 years. As a result, you'd have to walk me through some pretty simple functions.

2)All computers are assembled with components made by other manufacturers. Sometimes those parts fail.

What's your point?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Tell hubby that if he shows you how to run the computer you won't complain if he looks at " entertainment " when you're not around. With that incentive you'll be the next Bill Gates in less than a week.
hes figured it out, I not so much