Help needed concerning treatment of disabled

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
There is sooooo much more to Ups than slinging cardboard..UPS supports united way, why wouldn't a company of this magnitude, give jobs to the disabled? Apparently he has a job description, and guess who is not following it ..they have mentally disabled management..
Just because you and I are lucky enough to sling/had slung cardboard, there are many areas that a disabled person could work..I've never known you to be a mean guy .but that comment was not well thought out..it made you sound small minded.
Hope not but is that automatic license to

Hope not but is that automatic license to make a job for someone?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thanks for replying to all that have. I appreciate greatly
My experience with the ethics hotline is just another arm of management..the union will help to some degree,. Eeoc can be slow, but within a week, they will get a letter, and the abuse stops

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Again THANK YOU for all except azzhat wally for your replys about what is a very serious situation to us
What exact job does he do? I ask that because as you know, the job is very physical in nature, and to get on ssi, you need to meet criteria such as not being able to:
  • standing up from a seated position
  • balancing while standing or walking
  • using the arms
He ever considered going into management or taking an center office clerk job?

oldngray

nowhere special
What exact job does he do? I ask that because as you know, the job is very physical in nature, and to get on ssi, you need to meet criteria such as not being able to:
  • using the arms
UPS will create jobs for people sometimes but very hit or miss. Not something I would count on. New job would be more the exception than normal result.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The ADA prohibits discrimination based on disabilities that can be reasonably accommodated. Clearly UPS felt the accommodations were reasonable when they hired the employee in question, and even established the accommodations. Someone needs to bring the supervisor in question up to speed, he is creating unnecessary liability for himself and the company. I would let HR know first, then educate the union on their requirement to uphold the contract where they and the company agreed to follow ADA rules and where the company agreed not to harass the employees. Then contact the EEOC and let them know you already informed the company and union about the problems.

oldngray

nowhere special
The ADA prohibits discrimination based on disabilities that can be reasonably accommodated. Clearly UPS felt the accommodations were reasonable when they hired the employee in question, and even established the accommodations. Someone needs to bring the supervisor in question up to speed, he is creating unnecessary liability for himself and the company. I would let HR know first, then educate the union on their requirement to uphold the contract where they and the company agreed to follow ADA rules and where the company agreed not to harass the employees. Then contact the EEOC and let them know you already informed the company and union about the problems.
the problem is reasonably accommodated is a gray area open to interpretation. Sometimes UPS won't really try very hard and claim they did.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
the problem is reasonably accommodated is a gray area open to interpretation. Sometimes UPS won't really try very hard and claim they did.

Establishing the need for accommidation is one thing. In this case, however, they already agreed to it, and the jackwagon sup is not honoring the agreement. He is creating unnecessary liability for the company, and needs to be brought up to speed or shown the door.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
  • using the arms
@Wally aka azzhat
Lmao

Nolimitz

• using the arms
Wrong! My daughter is on SSDI an can still work. You don't know jack about disability rights

oldngray

nowhere special
Wrong! My daughter is on SSDI an can still work. You don't know jack about disability rights
My brother-in-law gets disability for job stress, not physical injury. He was a prison guard and a lot of those guys get early outs because of stress. Other jobs are stressful too but it helps when you are working for the government.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Sorry but you are wrong.

We were talking about 11.7 and what it takes about qualifying for ssi, not working while on it.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Again THANK YOU for all except azzhat wally for your replys about what is a very serious situation to us
Don't let that bother you.

Do as other posters suggested and handle it through the proper channels.

But...

There's always other options.

Good luck.

TrimCarp

Establishing the need for accommidation is one thing. In this case, however, they already agreed to it, and the jackwagon sup is not honoring the agreement. He is creating unnecessary liability for the company, and needs to be brought up to speed or shown the door.
Exactly the case

TrimCarp

Again, a big thanks to all. I wasn't sure how the replys were going to go, I know sometimes you guys drop the boom on some posts. Its good for my son to read these and see your support. Just to be clear, he is capable of working like anyone else in the hub and keeps up fine with his peers, the accommodations are essentially, no heights and no flashing lights which could trigger an epileptic seizure. All other supes in our hub are great about the situation, its just the 1 guy who feels like an unethical pattern bullier of my son and a couple other guys with documented issues. He just transferred back to our hub this week after a year or so away. My son had ZERO issues with any disciplinary actions whatsoever while he was away.....but anyway, again, THANKS TO ALL even to wally for taking the time to respond

TrimCarp

• using the arms
Lol....go into management? So he has no union protection?....yeah that be a brilliant move wouldnt it? Is wally a carol tome burner account?

Last edited: