Help needed concerning treatment of disabled

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
OP I commend your professionalism regarding this situation.

If my father was in a similar situation, I can guarantee you beyond a shadow of a doubt he’d be fired…

I got bullied in middle school once. Took it like a man; idk how my father (a Local 1 Pipefitter) found out but it was the neighbor’s kid who roughed me up… so he goes a couple doors down one night after work. Says to the father “hey Pal, I see your son’s a tough guy so it must’ve come from you. Let’s take a walk!”

His bail was set at $15,000. The bully moved away shortly after.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Again, a big thanks to all. I wasn't sure how the replys were going to go, I know sometimes you guys drop the boom on some posts. Its good for my son to read these and see your support. Just to be clear, he is capable of working like anyone else in the hub and keeps up fine with his peers, the accommodations are essentially, no heights and no flashing lights which could trigger an epileptic seizure. All other supes in our hub are great about the situation, its just the 1 guy who feels like an unethical pattern bullier of my son and a couple other guys with documented issues. He just transferred back to our hub this week after a year or so away. My son had ZERO issues with any disciplinary actions whatsoever while he was away.....but anyway, again, THANKS TO ALL even to wally for taking the time to respond
I have respect for your son maintaining gainful employment with his condition. Keep up the good fight.

TrimCarp

OP I commend your professionalism regarding this situation.

If my father was in a similar situation, I can guarantee you beyond a shadow of a doubt he’d be fired…

I got bullied in middle school once. Took it like a man; idk how my father (a Local 1 Pipefitter) found out but it was the neighbor’s kid who roughed me up… so he goes a couple doors down one night after work. Says to the father “hey Pal, I see your son’s a tough guy so it must’ve come from you. Let’s take a walk!”

His bail was set at $15,000. The bully moved away shortly after.
Man i tell you it's tough not to do something at times, I've spent more than 35 years on job sites where honestly thats the way things are often settled. I still work full time during the day as a self employed finish carpenter. I took the part time hub job shortly after my son did so he could have a reliable ride to work, as he's not allowed to drive. I also enjoy the great benefits for myself don't get me wrong. But if I did what I'd like to do I'd most likely end up not only fired but in jail for....awhile. I'm closer to 60 yr old now than 50, and am glad this was not going on 20 yrs ago or I'd be introuble.... interesting side note, 6 or 8months ago at our hub a driver trainer(?) Or ride along type guy,he was a supe but he wore the delivery uniform and would go out with drivers to evaluate them. But he caused a driver to not qualify(?) and return to the hub. But anyway, the guy followed him into the restroom and liked to beat him half to death. They found him unconscious in a pool of blood. I don't think that supe has even come back yet at least ihavent seen him since.. Now certainly I don't condone that....but I kinda understand nonetheless. The place can and does break some people.

clean hairy

I respect that your Son got a job and is working, when so many able bodied folks would rather sit home and collect money.
You appear to be doing a great job teaching him the right values in life!

TrimCarp

I respect that your Son got a job and is working, when so many able bodied folks would rather sit home and collect money.
You appear to be doing a great job teaching him the right values in life!
Thanks, he needs to work to have a sense of value. To much idle time is not good for anybody, you need to have a purpose in life....appreciate your comment

MisplacedRailWorker

Man i tell you it's tough not to do something at times, I've spent more than 35 years on job sites where honestly thats the way things are often settled. I still work full time during the day as a self employed finish carpenter. I took the part time hub job shortly after my son did so he could have a reliable ride to work, as he's not allowed to drive. I also enjoy the great benefits for myself don't get me wrong. But if I did what I'd like to do I'd most likely end up not only fired but in jail for....awhile. I'm closer to 60 yr old now than 50, and am glad this was not going on 20 yrs ago or I'd be introuble.... interesting side note, 6 or 8months ago at our hub a driver trainer(?) Or ride along type guy,he was a supe but he wore the delivery uniform and would go out with drivers to evaluate them. But he caused a driver to not qualify(?) and return to the hub. But anyway, the guy followed him into the restroom and liked to beat him half to death. They found him unconscious in a pool of blood. I don't think that supe has even come back yet at least ihavent seen him since.. Now certainly I don't condone that....but I kinda understand nonetheless. The place can and does break some people.
That’s a different story… the writing is on the wall upon accepting the job offer whether or not you’ll qualify…

This was a reversal of roles because apparently, my “friend’s” father was not as present as he should’ve been… to avoid a severe beat down by a man with arms like a six inch pipe.

Here’s the best: I only found out what happened that night when I finished boot camp. I later continued on and earned the combat veteran status I pride myself on.

MisplacedRailWorker

That’s a different story… the writing is on the wall upon accepting the job offer whether or not you’ll qualify…

This was a reversal of roles because apparently, my “friend’s” father was not as present as he should’ve been… to avoid a severe beat down by a man with arms like a six inch pipe.

Here’s the best: I only found out what happened that night when I finished boot camp. I later continued on and earned the combat veteran status I pride myself on.
Would I have made it into half the man my father was without him? Iiiiii doubt it. The Marine Corps would’ve missed out for sure.

And for all those wondering, yes I am God’s gift to both the USMC and the railroad.

MisplacedRailWorker

Semper Fi ....oorah.... appreciate you!!!
Oohrahh Sir
Next time I get laid off from the high iron, I’m seriously considering going back to UPS for good… this time in management. I’ve done every job in the hub from helper to loader to regular tues-sat driver to RPCD to scab casual feeder…

If it happens to come to fruition, I promise to never forget the proverbial “hard hat and hammer” upon which I have lived my life upon thus far. What do you beautiful BC personalities have to say

Especially those of you who remember my first post ever here, an 18 year old seeking career guidance on whether or not to hire on with swift ❤️

MisplacedRailWorker

First of all, good afternoon and many salutations to you salty UPSers you.

I am a former package handler who started as a driver helper in Manhattan. I got the permanent position shortly after peak season and worked there for about 6 months before leaving. I want to become a driver and at my center it seemed to be that P/T Sup was the only next step; I am not interested in the management avenue. I am now signed up to earn my CDL at Swift Transportation with a 1 year driving commitment upon completion.

1. Would I be better off returning to UPS and earning my CDL at a private school? I intend to make a career as a tractor trailer driver.

2. Does UPS actually hire feeder and freight drivers from within the package handlers and preloaders? If so, do they run a training academy for one to earn a CDL alike Swift, Prime, Schneider etc.? I know big brown swears up and down that it only hires from within, but have never *actually* seen this phenomena occur (at least amongst bargained laborers).

Thank you all and stay safe. And not UPS safe. Actual safe.
There it is. 5 years old I believe.

quad decade guy

I've waited till the weekend before wading into this alligator filled cesspool....

The irony of asking for support from some of the most hateful, abusive bullies on BC or the internet is beyond ironic.

Now, through my 40 years I've seen all kinds of folks work at UPS......including a guy that was literally so physically challenged that I respected he got up everyday and lived....

Now, the bully road goes both ways.....mgt. and hourly. Some real tools(as seen right here on BC). Just despicable pieces of human trash.

Directly to the OP:

As an outside observer(of your direct situation), I want to be perfectly clear: bullying by ANYONE AT ANY TIME AT WORK(or anywhere) IS UNACCEPTABLE. As is threatening people with pipes or whatever.

I believe your Son has every right to employment without the fear of retaliation or abuse of any kind.

Side note: I refuse to recommend my Son in Law for a job at UPS.....knowing who and how he is......wouldn't last and would quit.

Nor would I recommend ANYONE that I thought couldn't "do the job" whether mentally or physically.

To be fair to everyone(this includes your Son's co-workers...), we are expected to do the job. Is it fair to expect others to work extra to make up whatever it takes to complete the job? Example: A slightly built and diminutive woman or man delivering a heavy industrial route....in the end, many times will ultimately fail through injury or whatever.(Yes, I know of many exceptions....)

That is a long way to say this........I'm pretty sure your Son was not hired into a position that he could ultimately succeed.

I'm also pretty sure there were/are better work stations available. How he gets to that end is unclear.

If me: Record(in some way) the Sup. This should have been done long ago. It will fix a great many things.

If me: I would greatly encourage you to help your Son find an ultimately more accommodating environment(Company) to thrive at.

Respectfully, Peace.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Nobody has made a job for anyone,he can do dozens of jobs in the hub,just no heights and no flashing lights.....whats your problem "wally"? Not getting enough "beaver"?
If he is so capable, why is he on ssi? Sounds like he is doing fine? Why not full time work?

TrimCarp

If he is so capable, why is he on ssi? Sounds like he is doing fine? Why not full time work?
From here on out you are eddie haskell not wally cleaver
Screenshot_20210605-081324_Google.jpg

TrimCarp

Still trying to understand if he's capable of full time work, why the ssi?
Allow me to educate you doctor wally:

While Cerebral Palsy (pronounced seh-ree-brel pawl-zee) is a blanket term commonly referred to as “CP” and described by loss or impairment of motor function, Cerebral Palsy is actually caused by brain damage. The brain damage is caused by brain injury or abnormal development of the brain that occurs while a child’s brain is still developing — before birth, during birth, or immediately after birth.

Cerebral Palsy affects body movement, muscle control, muscle coordination, muscle tone, reflex, posture and balance. It can also impact fine motor skills, gross motor skills and oral motor functioning.