Help needed concerning treatment of disabled

quad decade guy

Listen wally, I'm not trying to fight with you man. I know I'm not going to always be around. Thats why I have to do whati can now to leave him as best situated as I can. You can't just ignore unwarranted write ups, suspensions, and potential termination and they just magically go away, you have to proactively nip it in the bud. I refuse to roll over and show my belly like a dog to anyone or anything, up to and definitely including a fortune 50 company
Some serious questions for you Pops.....

As this narrative goes along......your Son sounds really impaired(I'm not sure what the PC term is...).

1. How in the world did he get put in the warehouse?

2. Is he so impaired as to not speak(be able) for himself? Really? Are you his legal guardian? Very serious question.

You make it seem/sound like UPS is forever responsible for his employment and care.....I must say.....very odd.

quad decade guy

So how far do you go with this? Does a package car driver,now in a wheelchair due to an accident, have the right to keep doing his or her job? Should the company provide a package car with a lift and reduce the route to a few stops per day?
How about a wheelchair bound applicant demanding a lift equipped pkg car and all that goes with it....? Serious question.

quad decade guy

Absolutely correct... that is why he works at UPS... I think with your level of comprehension maybe you should have a few neurological tests done yourself. I can give you the number of a great doctor
And now you are belittling to a poster.......also playing doctor. Guilty of the very same of which you are VERY angry.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
@cosmo1 shut this thread down, it’s becoming trashier than Camden County.
Not at all. It's like the minimum wage. How much is too much? If 15 is ok, why not 50? Not so clear cut. You mention where the line is and right away you are attacked as a hater. Same goes for those on disability, welfare, or ssi. That is a liberal tool used to shut down the conversation.

You go back to my original post. I said, at what point should a company be able to cut someone loose? At no point did I attack the OP but quickly that question was attacked in an attempt to shut it down.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Not at all. It's like the minimum wage. How much is too much? If 15 is ok, why not 50? Not so clear cut. You mention where the line is and right away you are attacked as a hater. Same goes for those on disability, welfare, or ssi. That is a liberal tool used to shut down the conversation.

You go back to my original post. I said, at what point should a company be able to cut someone loose? At no point did I attack the OP but quickly that question was attacked in an attempt to shut it down.
This thread wasn’t about someone trying to game the system. The company had already come to an agreement with the employee regarding accommodations based on his condition.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I've waited till the weekend before wading into this alligator filled cesspool....

The irony of asking for support from some of the most hateful, abusive bullies on BC or the internet is beyond ironic.

Now, through my 40 years I've seen all kinds of folks work at UPS......including a guy that was literally so physically challenged that I respected he got up everyday and lived....

Now, the bully road goes both ways.....mgt. and hourly. Some real tools(as seen right here on BC). Just despicable pieces of human trash.

Directly to the OP:

As an outside observer(of your direct situation), I want to be perfectly clear: bullying by ANYONE AT ANY TIME AT WORK(or anywhere) IS UNACCEPTABLE. As is threatening people with pipes or whatever.

I believe your Son has every right to employment without the fear of retaliation or abuse of any kind.

Side note: I refuse to recommend my Son in Law for a job at UPS.....knowing who and how he is......wouldn't last and would quit.

Nor would I recommend ANYONE that I thought couldn't "do the job" whether mentally or physically.

To be fair to everyone(this includes your Son's co-workers...), we are expected to do the job. Is it fair to expect others to work extra to make up whatever it takes to complete the job? Example: A slightly built and diminutive woman or man delivering a heavy industrial route....in the end, many times will ultimately fail through injury or whatever.(Yes, I know of many exceptions....)

That is a long way to say this........I'm pretty sure your Son was not hired into a position that he could ultimately succeed.

I'm also pretty sure there were/are better work stations available. How he gets to that end is unclear.

If me: Record(in some way) the Sup. This should have been done long ago. It will fix a great many things.

If me: I would greatly encourage you to help your Son find an ultimately more accommodating environment(Company) to thrive at.

Respectfully, Peace.
Did you see how nobody except @Wally which is expected. Talked down to the guy most everybody was helpful

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe you’re the problem for the way you are treated here?

In the words of trimcarp don’t act like an “azzhat” and maybe you won’t be treated like an “azzhat”

TrimCarp

K. We get it.

Now, how about stop being angry and abusive.

@ Wally has a few good questions....

As your belittling anger seethes....your respect(if earned...not entitled) goes down.

You are not "entitled" by disability fiat to be abusive. Some might say you are playing the disability card. Shameful.

IMHO......you might direct your energies in finding a more suitable path of employment for your Son.

I mean seriously dude.......Take your anger someplace else.

And......you came to us.......didn't you? @Wally gave his opinion.....you didn't like it......See, being abusive to those that don't bow to your disability bullying.....doesn't garner respect.......yeah....you are a disability pimp.....some might say....

In the end.....get the Sup guy fixed and negotiate a more appropriate job for your son.....if he isn't capable of speaking for himself.
I am only replying to your buddy wally in this way because he wants to misquote and make things up I never said. If you would have read all the posts instead of jumping in after you buddy called you to help him not look like a neanderthal you would see this. Appreciate your input tho

meritocracy

You are a seriously cruel person if it upsets you that a person whose everyday life is 10-1000x harder than yours is working the same notoriously brutal job as you but with a little bit of help. Reasonable accommodations have to be reasonable in order to be granted in the first place and disabled Teamsters are still our union brothers and sisters who deserve our support and respect.

Wally

Is it ok for someone who gets a disability pass, to bump another worker with more seniority? If not, why?

TrimCarp

Is it ok for someone who gets a disability pass, to bump another worker with more seniority? If not, why?
Nobody is bumping anybody wally. His 2 accommodations are no working at heights and no working in front of flashing lights. At our hub anyway I'd guess that 80% of the package handler jobs require neither. You keep construing questions that are not applicable to his situation. And while we have plenty of 20-30 yr senority people we have many many more new hires and 2-3yr senority people. So he doesn't bump anybody from anything as his senority puts him ahead of at least half or more of others senority, At least at our hub on our shift, so your point is moot.

Wally

Nobody is bumping anybody wally. His 2 accommodations are no working at heights and no working in front of flashing lights. At our hub anyway I'd guess that 80% of the package handler jobs require neither. You keep construing questions that are not applicable to his situation. And while we have plenty of 20-30 yr senority people we have many many more new hires and 2-3yr senority people. So he doesn't bump anybody from anything as his senority puts him ahead of at least half or more of others senority, At least at our hub on our shift, so your point is moot.
Not talking about him at all so not moot at all.