Help needed concerning treatment of disabled

TrimCarp

Some serious questions for you Pops.....

As this narrative goes along......your Son sounds really impaired(I'm not sure what the PC term is...).

1. How in the world did he get put in the warehouse?

2. Is he so impaired as to not speak(be able) for himself? Really? Are you his legal guardian? Very serious question.

You make it seem/sound like UPS is forever responsible for his employment and care.....I must say.....very odd.
1. He applied, ups hired him
2. Yes I have power of attorney
And yes ups is responsible for his employment as long as he can do what the accommodations require of him THAT UPS CAME UP WITH

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
1. He applied, ups hired him
2. Yes I have power of attorney
And yes ups is responsible for his employment as long as he can do what the accommodations require of him THAT UPS CAME UP WITH
Then I would let it go. That sup will be gone before long. Ignore him or her.They come and they go.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Some serious questions for you Pops.....

As this narrative goes along......your Son sounds really impaired(I'm not sure what the PC term is...).

1. How in the world did he get put in the warehouse?

2. Is he so impaired as to not speak(be able) for himself? Really? Are you his legal guardian? Very serious question.

You make it seem/sound like UPS is forever responsible for his employment and care.....I must say.....very odd.
Maybe he should be a pilot like you

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Fair enough
Does your son wear earplugs while working? That may help block out that particular sup. Also, what specifically is the sup harassing your son about? Is he putting him at heights or making him work in front of flashing/strobing lights? A bit more detail would help, we have a few employees here with physical/mental disabilities and ive never heard of constant harassment

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Then I would let it go. That sup will be gone before long. Ignore him or her.They come and they go.
Then the next employee who has a roll away or steals, or bullies another employee, it should just be let go. No personal responsibility for actions. Just ignore it, stuff happens. SMDH

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Then the next employee who has a roll away or steals, or bullies another employee, it should just be let go. No personal responsibility for actions. Just ignore it, stuff happens. SMDH
We all know some that got away with things like that. Usually runner-gunners.

J.D. Hogg

Immediately contact every higher authority you can think of:
  1. Your union steward
  2. Ethics Hotline
  3. An attorney, if necessary
There's no reason for your supervisor to harass him. What an inconsiderate jerk!

Something kind of similar happened where I work --
A young, peak employee who appeared to be mildly learning disabled (I'm saying 'appeared to be' because I don't know what he was diagnosed with) wasn't treated kindly by the supervisors.
They had him work a week or two and just quit calling him.
It bothered me because he worked as directed, and they didn't even give him a chance to learn & succeed and ultimately support himself.

quad decade guy

Immediately contact every higher authority you can think of:
  1. Your union steward
  2. Ethics Hotline
  3. An attorney, if necessary
There's no reason for your supervisor to harass him. What an inconsiderate jerk!

Something kind of similar happened where I work --
A young, peak employee who appeared to be mildly learning disabled (I'm saying 'appeared to be' because I don't know what he was diagnosed with) wasn't treated kindly by the supervisors.
They had him work a week or two and just quit calling him.
It bothered me because he worked as directed, and they didn't even give him a chance to learn & succeed and ultimately support himself.
What does/do they/we owe folks?

Did you give him your paycheck?

Storm the office and call a wildcat strike?

Where do we draw the line?

Just like the OP.......now UPS has an anchor around our neck....yeah I work there too......

Now, there is work somewhere for everyone......

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
What does/do they/we owe folks?

Did you give him your paycheck?

Storm the office and call a wildcat strike?

Where do we draw the line?

Just like the OP.......now UPS has an anchor around our neck....yeah I work there too......

Now, there is work somewhere for everyone......
Is English your first language
Serious question....

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Go to the building manager & discuss your problem with this guy , call corporate in Atlanta ,better yet , write to them with full details . If they don't respond , I'm sure your local TV station would love to hear your story , The EMPIRE hates bad publicity !! Hats off and much respect for your son , working in this environment for over 30 yrs & seen it all ,, tuff job no matter what you do and your son deserves a lot of credit , I wouldn't waste another day with that ignorant bully Sup's BS , rattle their cage , they are used to it

Fuzzy Brown

I could really use some guidance concerning bullying of an upser that has been diagnosed with cerebal palsy... My son and I both work at UPS, my son has been there slightly over 10 years. He is diagnosed with cerebal palsy, and receives some social security money because of his disability. My point in bringing up the social security is simply to say this isn't some made up thing,its real, very real. He has good days and bad days, and has multiple doctor visits monthly, which does cause him to miss work some days.UPS human resources has even drawn up a separate (for lack of a better word) "contract" with clauses such as, must work on floor level, as in no heights,no working in front of flashing lights, and things like that. We have 1full time supe at our hub who continually just bullying him constantly. He writes him up,suspends him, threatens to fire him,puts him up off floor working at heights which he's not supposed to be at, literally follows him around when pushing carts, and just flat bullys him. I should mention also he does the same thing too deaf guy that also works there. And fired a young autistic guy a year ago, who did get his job back but had to switch areas. The guy is a pattern bully of people with disabilities. He actually transferred to another local hub several months ago but transferred back this week the day after labor day and he's right back to his old BS. In the past the union has helped with recending suspensions and stuff but the constant bullying and harassment doesn't stop. We have had 3 part time supes tell us in the pre shift supervisor meetings hehas called my son a scam artist,he is not this is real. It literally affects my sons mental health. We are over it, the union prevents him from being let go but doesnothing to stop the continuing bullying. We don't wont to be "that" guy, but its to the point of getting in touch with the EEOC or a lawyer we are literally at wits end. Listen, i know its not an ideal situation for the company, there are things he cannot do. But there are laws protecting the disabled, and the company is always talking about how they accommodate for disabilities, even in the hazmat class we take yearly they talk about it in the video tapes we are made to watch. I should say its only the 1 full time supervisor most the other supes are more than accommodating. ANY thoughts, recommendations, or advice would be GREATLY appreciated...... sorry for such a long post, but its another to try to explain...thanks

Whatever “contract” HR drew up is unenforceable Article 6 Sect. 1 prohibits extra contract agreements.
Unless I’ve overlooked it I haven’t noticed the word grievance once.
Have you grieved this and if not why?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Whatever “contract” HR drew up is unenforceable Article 6 Sect. 1 prohibits extra contract agreements.
Unless I’ve overlooked it I haven’t noticed the word grievance once.
Have you grieved this and if not why?

Article 6.1
Except as may be otherwise provided in this Agreement, the Em- ployer agrees not to enter into, or attempt to enter into, any agree- ment or contract with its employees, either individually or collec- tively, or to require or attempt to require employees to sign any document, either individually or collectively, which in any way conficts with the provisions of this Agreement.

Article 36, nondiscrimination, both parties agree to abide by the ADA.

Even if that weren't in there, UPS would still need to follow ADA.