Help Please... Orion Tips, Tricks and Hacks...

jaker

trolling
Have to communicate the issues. From what I've read on here some places won't even try to fix your ORION, but when people come to me with issues and can explain why it's not right I will work to fix it. Even then though, it's tough to make things all perfect.

Use it as a tool. Don't follow it if it puts you in an unsafe situation. We have one driver whose ORION wants him to cross a 4 lane road like 6 times a day no matter how we set it up. He refused to do it and I 100% agree with him. He's reducing risk by not following it for those stops. Every time a higher up asks why Driver X is out of ORION compliance I explain to him he's making the safe decision by not crossing a road 6 times a day.
I call bull , because you can fix it to where it won't have him crossing it if you even know how to do it

I have a two lane road that I won't cross and they fixed mine , so I am pretty sure it can be done

porkwagon

If you can, find your first orion stop before you leave the building. When you deliver scrolling down the screen, it will not be a trace break. When you are on a street with multiple deliveries on it, deliver them all regardless of odo order, no trace break there either. Break trace when it makes sense and you will likely stay off the radar. Don't over think it. My center has been on it for years, pretty much one of the early centers to get it. Stay out of the majority of driveways and use common sense. That's how I roll with it and I'm fine. I've been at it since paper delivery records. Also, NDA deliveries will not count as trace breaks.

Holydriver

If you can, find your first orion stop before you leave the building. When you deliver scrolling down the screen, it will not be a trace break. When you are on a street with multiple deliveries on it, deliver them all regardless of odo order, no trace break there either. Break trace when it makes sense and you will likely stay off the radar. Don't over think it. My center has been on it for years, pretty much one of the early centers to get it. Stay out of the majority of driveways and use common sense. That's how I roll with it and I'm fine. I've been at it since paper delivery records. Also, NDA deliveries will not count as trace breaks.
Yea but then you're getting behind the Orion time constraints. No big deal in the country but in town you will be setting yourself up to not make the Orion trace for hitting grounds/savers/pickups. So eventually you will be outside of trace.

I really don't care. I delivery route and go home without a concern at all. My point is simply that the system is horrible. Some routes it works great. Some routes it works pretty well and other routes it makes no sense at all. This shouldn't be the case for a system that UPS paid millions of dollars on. And that shouldn't be the case for a system that UPS makes us follow knowing full well that it adds minutes if not hours to our already long work days

porkwagon

Yea but then you're getting behind the Orion time constraints. No big deal in the country but in town you will be setting yourself up to not make the Orion trace for hitting grounds/savers/pickups. So eventually you will be outside of trace.

I really don't care. I delivery route and go home without a concern at all. My point is simply that the system is horrible. Some routes it works great. Some routes it works pretty well and other routes it makes no sense at all. This shouldn't be the case for a system that UPS paid millions of dollars on. And that shouldn't be the case for a system that UPS makes us follow knowing full well that it adds minutes if not hours to our already long work days
My trip is a busy town route in the Philly burbs. I really don't care either at this point im my "career" but my advise was just how I do it and how it works for me and the center.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Breaking trace is one of the most misunderstood parts. The worst thing you can do is deliver part of a section and then come back to deliver the rest. If you have to break trace for whatever reason it is best to skip entire sections and deliver those stops later in the day.

As I said above, 85% trace compliance means you can break trace 15 times.

15 times if, you have 100 stops.

What if, you're on a rural route that only takes out 65 stops?

What if, your route averages 180 stops per day?

Will 15 trace breaks be enough or too much?

Do I need to break out my TI-85 to crunch these numbers?

Is it my job to do so?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Have to communicate the issues. From what I've read on here some places won't even try to fix your ORION, but when people come to me with issues and can explain why it's not right I will work to fix it. Even then though, it's tough to make things all perfect.

Use it as a tool. Don't follow it if it puts you in an unsafe situation. We have one driver whose ORION wants him to cross a 4 lane road like 6 times a day no matter how we set it up. He refused to do it and I 100% agree with him. He's reducing risk by not following it for those stops. Every time a higher up asks why Driver X is out of ORION compliance I explain to him he's making the safe decision by not crossing a road 6 times a day.

Wait!!

What??

You have 4 lane roads up there in the great frozen BFE?

The way you talk, it should only be snowmobile trails and dogsled tracks.;)

FilingBluesFL

Still not sure how Orion expects me to be able to do 25-30 stops WITH AIR by 10:30, when I leave the building at 9:15 after loading the rest of my car, and then driving 15-20 minutes to the other side of town in traffic, and starting airs at 9:30-9:40...

Idiots and their stupid ideas.