Help...Suspervisor vs. Driver?

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
ALCON (Dear Abby...)

I am fairly new to UPS and was given paperwork to become a supervisor after the holidays (January). However, I want to be sure I make the right decision and don't get stuck in this PT Supe position.

Driver vs. Supe....Advice???

Signed,
Excited :thumbup1: & Confused :thumbdown

rd0127

I would recommend that you stay a driver. The incentive to be in management is no longer there. The union definitely has its issues, but with managements hours and stress, plus a supervisors monthly pay is very comparative to a full time drivers and the "stock program" has turned into a complete joke the last couple of years.

Channahon

Take the following into account. How old are you now?
What is your current position? P/T or friend/T or seasonal hire? Are you going to school? Is tuition reimbursement available to you? It takes longer for a P/T sup to get a driving position as opposed to an hourly employee. However, opportunities may be available to into friend/T management without driving, based on your education. Is it your inention to make a career at UPS, that's the bottom line.

LKLND3380

ALCON (Dear Abby...)

I am fairly new to UPS and was given paperwork to become a supervisor after the holidays (January). However, I want to be sure I make the right decision and don't get stuck in this PT Supe position.

Signed,

We had a pt. supe here on the preload quit to become a driver.... Sounds like you want to do the opposite...

DS

Fenderbender
We`ve had several pt sups go into driving.If you stay on as a sup,
you`ll have no control over your future,although if your related to Eskew,
or have horseshoes up your ass,it would be the way to go.
But if you become a driver,you get to attempt the impossible every day! If you like a challenge,and want a job that keeps you fit,and dont
mind getting home at 9pm+ every night, come on down!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Search the archives, read the posts of other people who have asked the same question. Talk to the pt sups in your building, see if they are meeting their goals. weigh the pros and cons of what you want in your future, got to Vegas and see just how lucky you are, then decide.

Slowestdriver in America

Drive to stay Alive
ALCON (Dear Abby...)

Signed,

Driving has its benefits. Like, you get paid for working more than 40 hours. I have done both and sup means they own you 24/7 (not literally, but almost), and you get paid the same. The stress is about the same in both cases.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Thank you everyone for your input...and clarification.

I have been tossing the idea around and actually a few drivers told me the same. I have actually seen how management operates and I am sure on some part they are forced to act the way they do...however on the other hand I think quite a few of them have more of a power struggle with people even though they know how difficult the job of loader can be. I mean this with no disrespect to the drivers, I know that job is just as difficult.

Honestly, I don't think I could be a hard-ass knowing what a loader on overnights has to go through. Especially with the amount of packages coming down a line...for a specific set and trying to tell someone sweating their a%^$ off that they are not moving quickly enough and can not stack and all at the same time keeping up with the influx of work headed at them just seems crazy to me..

Thank you for helping make my decision!! and I am glad I found brown cafe...since most people have not been able to answer my question.

A

Anonymous999

ALCON (Dear Abby...)

Signed,

Management ranks are dwindling every month with more cuts just announced. They will always be drivers. Stay where you are.

A

Anonymous111111

ALCON (Dear Abby...)

Signed,

Suggest you check out the post entitled "Re-Entering Labor Union after going to Management"

hoser

Industrial Slob
ALCON (Dear Abby...)

Signed,
Despite some people doingn so, we can't tell you what's best. Are you a born leader? Where do you want to be in 5, 10, 25 years? Do you want risk, challenge, and reward OR predictability, consistancy, and a solid paycheque?

Are you married? Do you have kids? Can you relocate? Do you want to relocate? Do you want a job title and room to move up or do you want the security of a predictable job?

Ask yourself this, talk to pt sups, your co-workers, even your manager if he's approachable enough, and definately the panel interview when they end it with "any questions? ask them if they think it's right for you, ask them questions that you've thought up all the time (even right them down before you go into the interview).

Do all this, and you'll know what's best. We can't say what's best for you, only tell you the pros and cons of each end. And I want to remind you that of the employees on this forum, it's 80% teamster, 20% non teamster. correct me if i'm wrong.