Helper Bonus only paid to latecomers?

TX Helper

I'm a Driver Helper with the Dallas, TX ("Monroe") center. Recently I inquired about the advertised $75 bonus mentioned in the job description. After a lot of back-and-forth between the Helper Coordinator and 3 members of the local H.R. staff, I was told that I was ineligible for the bonus because I had started before and attended my Helper Orientation before November 23rd of this year.

Apparently a helper who signed up on, or after 11/23 receives an extra $75 in their weekly paycheck assuming they show up for work every eligible day. I am not eligible, simply because I started before a certain date.

I do find this "policy" grossly unfair, given that a) no mention was made that some helpers would receive the bonus while other helpers would be ineligible, and b) as far as I can determine all helpers are essentially doing the same tasks at work. As a matter of policy I have made certain that I have presented myself on time, each day in order to work, including the past 2 Saturdays, and I remain until my driver tells me he no longer needs my help.

Question for the readers:

1) Does your center have a similar policy on bonus awards (e.g. are all helpers eligible for bonuses regardless what they hire date was)? I would like to know if this is a UPS-wide policy or simply a rule of the Dallas center.

2) Does anyone have any suggestions on whom else I can contact (other than my local center HR). I would appreciate specific names, if you have this information.

I just am feeling a bit steamed, being paid $10.15/hour, and encountering what I perceive to be a double-standard. To me it's not about the money, it's about being paid fairly.

Thank you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OP---you have every right to be upset; unfortunately, as a seasonal employee, you have little to no recourse to rectify this unfair situation.

When you are road tomorrow, ask your driver for his/her help in trying to get what you are most certainly entitled to. Your driver will have much more pull than you would.

Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I'm a Driver Helper with the Dallas, TX ("Monroe") center. Recently I inquired about the advertised $75 bonus mentioned in the job description. After a lot of back-and-forth between the Helper Coordinator and 3 members of the local H.R. staff, I was told that I was ineligible for the bonus because I had started before and attended my Helper Orientation before November 23rd of this year.

Apparently a helper who signed up on, or after 11/23 receives an extra $75 in their weekly paycheck assuming they show up for work every eligible day. I am not eligible, simply because I started before a certain date.

I do find this "policy" grossly unfair, given that a) no mention was made that some helpers would receive the bonus while other helpers would be ineligible, and b) as far as I can determine all helpers are essentially doing the same tasks at work. As a matter of policy I have made certain that I have presented myself on time, each day in order to work, including the past 2 Saturdays, and I remain until my driver tells me he no longer needs my help.

1) Does your center have a similar policy on bonus awards (e.g. are all helpers eligible for bonuses regardless what they hire date was)? I would like to know if this is a UPS-wide policy or simply a rule of the Dallas center.

2) Does anyone have any suggestions on whom else I can contact (other than my local center HR). I would appreciate specific names, if you have this information.

I just am feeling a bit steamed, being paid $10.15/hour, and encountering what I perceive to be a double-standard. To me it's not about the money, it's about being paid fairly.

Thank you.

I would too. Helpers are paid 15 an hour here

542thruNthru

Thank you.

Tell them you will quit and they can find another Helper who they will have to pay $75 extra a week or they can give you what's rightfully yours and not have to deal with the hassel of finding someone else thats reliable .

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Thank you.

To the point.

You are seasonal. You will be here for four, maybe five more weeks.

You are a helper. Helpers are hired to be used and abused.

HR lies just to get people in. Some of the helpers promised that bonus will not see it. You were probably also hired before the crunch, the moment they realized there weren't enough bodies to get the job done.

And, as for double-standards, refer to @Monkey Butt. He invented them.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
It shouldn't have to come down to this.

Wonder how all the PT employees that signed up to be helpers feel.

What about the PTers who are also getting an attendance "bonus" just for showing up whilst many others do this on a daily / monthly / yearly basis. The helpers will come and go but these attendance bonus babies have no business getting this bonus that their excellent attendance coworkers are not getting.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
In my area, the bonuses are reserved for those who work for the Scottsdale center. They have a hard time getting anybody to want to work in that center because they don't live there. So now they are paying bonuses to anyone who will work in that center.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Seasonal drivers here are starting at 23 an hour which is a lot more than I make. Of the three centers in my building all drivers from two of the centers got a grievance check for all the days we started at 8:50 or 9. My center didn't because my steward is a punk bitch who doesn't do his job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What about the PTers who are also getting an attendance "bonus" just for showing up whilst many others do this on a daily / monthly / yearly basis. The helpers will come and go but these attendance bonus babies have no business getting this bonus that their excellent attendance coworkers are not getting.

Yeah, I thought about this, and agree that it is also unfair, but to be hired on 11/22 and not eligible for a bonus that someone hired on 11/23 is would be completely unfair.

PrimeUPS

Thank you.

Talk to your helper coordinator. Each center has one, though they may have other roles normally. It is usually a center supervisor of some sort. They are most likely to be the ones that generate the list of employees that qualify for the bonus and send it to HR each week for payment. Or at least will be part of that process and have some insight into the guidelines. Ask them why you aren't on the list or if there's been some error. Some center's will look at the $75 and would rather just pay it than worry about it, particularly if you're reliable and your driver appreciates your work.