Helper Commute

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
They try to use a helper that lives in or near the driver's route. Picking you up on route shouldn't be a problem most of the time.
In my area the coordinator won't do that. You have to request the driver if you know him.

I've never had a helper more than 10 miles from me. It struck me as odd that you think 20-30 miles is reasonably close. I wouldn't drive more than 10 miles to be a helper.

This year my round trip is 25 miles per day. Better than the last two years.

upschuck

In the past they have paid mileage for commutes of about 30+ miles here. Doubt they are dong it this year. That is what they HR guy has said.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
In my area the coordinator won't do that. You have to request the driver if you know him.

This year my round trip is 25 miles per day. Better than the last two years.
You drive 25 miles a day to make 10 bucks or so an hour for a few weeks a year? Do you have another actual job the other 11 months a year? Just curious....

GillEagan

You drive 25 miles a day to make 10 bucks or so an hour for a few weeks a year?

Average commutes here are quite bit more than that per day with pay about the same or a bit more. So this is nothing. You must be in Union state for this to be uneconomical. Seems like you have indicated New York in the past.

Do you have another actual job the other 11 months a year? Just curious....

You would want to know that wouldn't you.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Average commutes here are quite bit more than that per day with pay about the same or a bit more. So this is nothing. You must be in Union state for this to be uneconomical. Seems like you have indicated New York in the past.

You would want to know that wouldn't you.
Ahh....so the answer is no.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Frankly why would you care one way or the other?
I don't....but you post on here babbling about how you've been a helper for the past few years and blah blah blah....I'm an expert at this job and blah blah UPS. The only person you come in contact with on a daily basis is a driver (not including customers). You have no concept of what it's like to even work here.

GillEagan

I don't....but you post on here babbling about how you've been a helper for the past few years and blah blah blah.

Then why ask if you already know the answer.

I'm an expert at this job and blah blah UPS.

I've never made any such claim from present to last December.

The only person you come in contact with on a daily basis is a driver (not including customers). You have no concept of what it's like to even work here.

While your first statement is true, The various posts here and else where on the net, plus what I am observing what is happening to the current driver I am with has given me an idea.

Last edited:

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Helper coordinating is done more-or-less however they feel like doing it / the easiest way for them to get it done.

3 centers in my building & the policy has long been you can only help from 1 (although it's relaxed when it's convenient for UPS). The coordinator who worked for years within the center I helped from would have us highlight the territory we were willing to meet a driver, then she input it into a Microsoft mapping program. When she needed helpers, it showed her available helpers and she'd call them one by one. Then the recession hit and the new coordinator -- the freaking HR manager -- had a list of helpers and she'd call them one by one and offer the first available assignment. This center covered a large area, so assignments could be 90-minutes from a helpers home. She didn't care.

10 point

One of our OMS's is the helper coordinator and she does a great job.

I can no reason for any helper/seasonal not to have the center's unlisted phone number.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I can no reason for any helper/seasonal not to have the center's unlisted phone number.

Because they don't want hundreds of helpers blowing up a phone line that's critically important to the operation.

They scrapped the direct-dial system here a few years ago; each of our three centers has just one number (UPS said it saved the company several thousand per year -- that's just one building -- and direct-dial was unnecessary since management communicated primarily via cell phone). Just not fair to the OMS to field several hundred calls a day from helpers. The coordinators instead use a prepaid cell phone, which probably works better for them since texting simplifies their jobs.

10 point

Because they don't want hundreds of helpers blowing up a phone line that's critically important to the operation.

They scrapped the direct-dial system here a few years ago; each of our three centers has just one number (UPS said it saved the company several thousand per year -- that's just one building -- and direct-dial was unnecessary since management communicated primarily via cell phone). Just not fair to the OMS to field several hundred calls a day from helpers. The coordinators instead use a prepaid cell phone, which probably works better for them since texting simplifies their jobs.
Every operation is different.
We have one main number with 7 lines plus a dedicated fax line.
We have at least five lines plus fax.