Helper Not All That I Thought

porkwagon

I suppose you have to use seasonal help at Christmas, but the applicants are largely terrible. You force the drivers to work during their most difficult period in a way they haven't in 11 months, with newbies that often are poorly trained. I refused helpers the last few peaks on my route and rid myself of the headache. I can remember helpers that would get lost in my buildings, and many they showed up late or not at all. I was always glad when they didn't show because then I could stop thinking for two people and kick it into maximum overdrive.

How did you go about refusing a helper? I too have refused a helper but got one anyway. My refusal was denied.:mad:

Griff

How did you go about refusing a helper? I too have refused a helper but got one anyway. My refusal was denied.:mad:

Just tell your center manager that you'll be back before 7:30PM and you'll never have to worry about a helper again.

There is a guy 2 trucks down from me who did 296 stops and about 10 pickups alone and was back in building at 4:30PM. I think the grass parts when he gets out to deliver each package. He refuses helpers every year and the center manager grants his request as long as he looks pretty on paper.

xkingx

What is considered a good tip? I want to give my helper something next Friday.

all last week and this coming week, ive been paying for my helpers luch..22bucks a day for the both of us to eat..I might throw him a fifty come friday....
he's a college kid, just doing it for the spare change until his semester starts back up again...

steffieup

This comment is for JohnBirshire.....

We as UPSers complain a lot about our jobs and the people we work for but we come back the next day. Just because you didn't get to work when you wanted to so what...that's life. If you flipped out over that then take your happy *** to FedEx. You obviously don't have what it takes to run with the big dogs!

helenofcalifornia

Any ideas on how one person does 296 stops and 10 pickups by himself and back in the building by 4:30? He can't have much bulk and his businesses must be claustrophobically (sp) close to one another. Even rezzies have to be high density. More power to you!!

trickpony1

Steffieup-
"....but we come back the next day.".
Do we come back for the money or the spiritual enrichment, love and fellowship?
Apparently Johnbirkshire was promised something that wasn't delivered. I don't blame him for his reaction.
If I told you I was gonna give you $100 and I didn't do it, I bet you'd remember.
Apparently JohnB. isn't young, innocent, wide-eyed, impressionable and can discern when he's been screwed.

DS

Fenderbender
It seems to me that ups was covering thier a@@ this year at other peoples expense.With the turnover rate so high,they promised jobs that they knew might not be there.JB has good reason to be pissed.
But he shouldn`t take it personel,it could`ve led to other things.

sendagain

I delivered office buildings which really aren't designed as good helper areas to begin with: too many bulk stops. They try to push a helper on just about everyone, but suites in buildings can get very confusing; they aren't always laid out logically, and some people move suites and just take their number to the new location. Many helpers just didn't pick it up fast enough, so the stops per hour were never great. I would have to add, that I also was able to do it without a helper. If you can't make it happen on your own, for sure you will get a helper.

rod

Retired 22 years
296 stops and done at 4:30? Me thinks he has set some new standards for his route without a 3 day ride. I hope he is up to doing that every day because that's what will be expected of him from now on. ( This must be that guy that takes your route when you go on vacation that always burns it so bad that management takes weeks to get off your back about how great he is and what a slug you are). You know that guy- the one that skips his breaks and drives 90 mph through the residential areas .

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
This comment is for JohnBirshire.....

We as UPSers complain a lot about our jobs and the people we work for but we come back the next day. Just because you didn't get to work when you wanted to so what...that's life. If you flipped out over that then take your happy *** to FedEx. You obviously don't have what it takes to run with the big dogs!
Although I got a negative for my post about how much we have used helpers, its the truth, so I guess the truth stands tall. Yes its an intro to UPS, who for people who have no other options its great to work 8 days. And yes we have been using helpers from mid october, but many of them hired havent picked up their uniforms. If I was in college again, I would be hard pressed to work 8 days for 8.5 when I could have worked 60 for 6.50.
Maybe Im wrong but he cant neg me again.
Im not saying its a bad job, my son has done it for 6 yrs, til this yr. He loves it, he starts out at 4 hrs a day and ends up taking his leave from USAF so he can work 12. I think in my area it hit in October, for the poorer section it will hit this week. Iif you have no money, you do it at the last possible moment. Been there done that. Merry Christmas!! to all.

This year my helper is getting stiffed hard by ups, they only want him to work 2.5 to 3 hrs a day. this is my 3rd year with him, he does an awesome job for me i pick him up on rte. last year he was getting 6/7 hrs with me but this year they have taken so much work off me. he keeps asking when he's going to get more hours , hope monday is heavy so i can use him more, we can do 40 an hour . last year i gave him a good tip because he did a great job for me.

tieguy

Banned
The work ethic of most people is good and honest. Let's talk about the lack of ethics by UPS management. (in most locations) You have to admit based just on this fourm that UPS has serious issues on how to treat people. The introduction most new hires and temps get is that UPS is awful. Why would any one want to make a career/slave job with UPS after the great intro they get. Again why put up with it for even $13 an hour just for a slim chance at getting on full time. Then you get full time sh**.

I agree with you 100 percent. No one who feels the way you do should ever be forced to take a job that pays 26 an hour, has full beni's up to six weeks vacation, retirement etc. Lead us to the promised land. That job where we can all do so much better each day while having our asses kissed.

When you get done leading all of us away then UPS will see they have a problem and learn to also kiss your ass.

Until then Each of us can also recognize that we have to learn to treat mistreatment as an individual event and not as an organizational event.

There is no big gorilla named ups who wacks you upside the head and curses at you every day. There may be an individual who does so. Hold that knucklehead accountable for how he treats you. When you blame the organization then you provide every individual who mistreats their employees safe haven from accountability.

helenofcalifornia

Hey I almost agree with everything you said Tie. Part timers should have a good idea what work at UPS is like after the time they put in. Everyone's eyes should be wide open as to what they are getting into to. Helpers are definitely at the bottom of the UPS totem pole. Too bad because some of them are excellent workers.

truckrgrl

My Driver's Grunt
I've been working as a helper since the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. My Center calls on average every two days to make sure I'm getting to work - as it's left up to my driver and myself as to how best to utilize me. I have been under restriction from the Center - I've been lucky to see more than two hours a day until today.

Peak never quite materialized at my Center as far as max hours allowed goes, and even more so on my route. While I think HR may have exaggerated some, I don't feel as if I was lied to. It was stated time and time again in orientation that we were on call and that we were very temporary.

I still showed up, busted my rear end, and essentially worked myself out of a job because the faster I went, the less time my driver really needed me.

My reward? I got an offer for a permanent position at the Center before my seasonal gig even ended. Like any job, UPS is what you make of it from my experience. I'd just like to make enough of it to let me go back for my degree.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
Man i am glad i don`t have to mess with the helper crap no more and the fu--ing loaders from Jamaica ! How many stops today ? He stops counting at 100. Looks like the feeder backed up to the truck and dumped it in the back. Then the soup goes your only using a helper for 3 hours today. I`d keep em for 8 + hours and that wasn`t enough. 15+ years of that headache - thank God for Feeders ! No more nightmares either :-)

rd0127

Some areas around the country are still in desperate need of helpers! And I do mean desperate!

They just can't get people to work in some areas.

lumberman11

I would like to thank everyone on this forum. This is my first post, but I have done a lot of reading. With a little looking I have found most of the answers to my questions without asking. I know that you are all sick of the "newbie" questions. I started in the feeders around Thanksgiving and Friday my Boss asked me to stay on. He only asked 2 of us out of around 20 or so. I feel pretty good about it, and I just wanted to let you all know that you have helped me without knowing it, and I appreciate it. Thanks again!

trickpony1

If you truly are now a FT seniority feeder driver, I would cherish that position as it is a one-in-a-million opportunity.
Are you in an area that had a lot of loads coming off the train hence the "off the street" hiring of feeder drivers? If so, lucky you.

tieguy

Banned
If you truly are now a FT seniority feeder driver, I would cherish that position as it is a one-in-a-million opportunity.
Are you in an area that had a lot of loads coming off the train hence the "off the street" hiring of feeder drivers? If so, lucky you.

while still somewhat rare I don't think I would label it one in a millon. probably more 1 in 500.