Helper said we're not supposed to deliver to houses for sale per orientation training

brownelf

The diad training we took says to get a signature at homes for sale. This time of year I just peek in a window to make sure the place is still occupied. I'll be long gone by the time a follow up shows up in March.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
this is whats been happening lately in my center especially after iphone 7 release. person fraudulently orders cell phones (or anything else for that matter) to a empty house address and then waits in car for driver to DR package or leave infonotice. he then either grabs package off porch or snatches info notice. then he will pull driver over 2 blocks or so away with infonotice in hand and try to get his phones. has happened more than once. sounds like this training there getting is security related

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
I've never heard anything like that in orientation. I let the drivers deal with stuff like that anyway. They would know more than me.

I've really never even thought about it before. I figured if a pkg was ordered and shipped to an address, someone likely still lives there. I suppose if a house is clearly vacated, I'd say sheeting it "moved" would be the right way to do it.

I'd just like to know why the helpers were told never, ever deliver to any house for sale. He said something about it being scammer related.

As a new helper this year, I don't remember seeing it mentioned in the short video they had us watch about driver release. And the video (and concurrent quiz) were pretty much the only instruction we got on the matter.

Which isn't to stay it wasn't mentioned, just that I don't remember it. Like with the hazmat stuff, the person giving the orientation was talking during parts of the video, so it was easy to miss stuff.

oldupsman

I remember when the driver was actually allowed to size up the situation, make a decision on whether or
not to make the delivery, and then the center manager respected his decision. It was called common sense.
Guess those days are long gone.

By The Book

The diad training we took says to get a signature at homes for sale. This time of year I just peek in a window to make sure the place is still occupied. I'll be long gone by the time a follow up shows up in March.
Or...you could follow the diad training.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

this is whats been happening lately in my center especially after iphone 7 release. person fraudulently orders cell phones (or anything else for that matter) to a empty house address and then waits in car for driver to DR package or leave infonotice. he then either grabs package off porch or snatches info notice. then he will pull driver over 2 blocks or so away with infonotice in hand and try to get his phones. has happened more than once. sounds like this training there getting is security related

We can't release iPhones.

We check ID when a customer meets us on road.

brownelf

Or...you could follow the diad training.

And have a pissed off customer waiting in line at the customer counter to pickup a package that could of safely been left. And yes I'm quite aware that if that package results in a claim it's on me. But I'm willing to pay for that Avon package, and would never DR anything of value in a similar situation.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
Came across a house up for sale today. The driver checked it out and found it to be vacant. So didn't deliver the package.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And have a :censored2: off customer waiting in line at the customer counter to pickup a package that could of safely been left. And yes I'm quite aware that if that package results in a claim it's on me. But I'm willing to pay for that Avon package, and would never DR anything of value in a similar situation.

Your liability is limited to packages with a value of $100 or more and only if the DR was not consistent with our DR methods.

I was trained to get sig. at houses for sale along with any address corrections. That was 21 years ago. I try to make contact with consignee to make sure they still live there. If no one answers, I still leave it. Unless it looks vacant.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
We can't release iPhones.

never said you could. but a fake ID and a infonotice that was grabbed off the door you left it at for that cell phone? now a driver like you who is 100% correct all the time and does absolutely no wrong ever and with all your fake ID training would be able to spot that fake ID a country mile away. (you do live in the country right? with that cat?). but......... a regular human kinda driver might not make that call as easy. sorry everyone for going off topic sorta