Helpers Hours

DorkHead

My helper is also a preloader. Yesterday, my center manager, who is 2 months new, called me into the office to tell me that I have to keep track of my helpers hours because he can`t work over 10 total per day. I smiled and politely told him I`m to busy to do the "office" work and I`m going to use my helper as long as I need him to get the job done for the day.

First, I have never heard of some rule where he can`t work over 10 hrs.
Second, over the years my helpers have always put in over 12 hrs per day combined. Is anyone else being told this?

L

LIFUPSER

Insiders are allowed to work ten hours. What the center manager is trying to do is control his costs by bringing him in earlier since he is on overtime. The inside employees are gaurenteed 8 hours between their two shifts and that is it. The other thing that he is trying to prevent is having a ICC violation of the preloader not having 10 hours between shifts.

BrownShark

Banned
Dorkhead,

Dont set yourself up for a ripping from the three posters who are glued to their keyboards looking for threads to post nonsense in.

Your situation explains itself.

Your preloader may have worked 4 hours in the am, then on your pkg car for 10 hours, thats a 14 hour day.

You would have put him in violation of state law if he did not have 2 lunches during the working day, plus you would have put him into serious overtime which the company frowns upon with helpers.

You should be thankful you can use him that long, as out here, the company is restricting us to 2 hours with helpers.

Big difference.

The preloader cant be expected to perform his duties in his primary job (preload) if he is working well beyond 10 hours onroad. Any person would require a 10 hour break between shifts.

In my opinion, your center manager is correct. Use an off the street hire 10 hours, then you would have no problems.

Peace.:peaceful:

hoser

Industrial Slob
do what you were hired to do, let the center manager do the center manager stuff. one package at a time *shrug*. you get help if you get help.

Damok

My helper is also a preloader. Yesterday, my center manager, who is 2 months new, called me into the office to tell me that I have to keep track of my helpers hours because he can`t work over 10 total per day. I smiled and politely told him I`m to busy to do the "office" work and I`m going to use my helper as long as I need him to get the job done for the day.

First, I have never heard of some rule where he can`t work over 10 hrs.
Second, over the years my helpers have always put in over 12 hrs per day combined. Is anyone else being told this?

It would be interesting to know if you would have any real obligation to keep track of the person's hours under "working as instructed". I don't imagine you can be held accountable for any violations as a result of his/her working too long but I'm not versed enough to say for sure.

BrownShark

Banned
It would be interesting to know if you would have any real obligation to keep track of the person's hours under "working as instructed". I don't imagine you can be held accountable for any violations as a result of his/her working too long but I'm not versed enough to say for sure.

Damok,

I would be interested in knowing where you get the "working as instructed" as language in the contract.

This is a term used by many UPS supervisors yet it does not exist in any of our agreements with UPS.

This term has been shot down in many arbitrations and Im curious where you got it from and why you used it.

Damok

Damok,

I would be interested in knowing where you get the "working as instructed" as language in the contract.

This is a term used by many UPS supervisors yet it does not exist in any of our agreements with UPS.

This term has been shot down in many arbitrations and Im curious where you got it from and why you used it.

Actually it was explained to me as being a policy from my Shop Steward. It came up when I questioned some instructions given me by a sup. Essentially I was told that a refusal to "work as instructed" is grounds for discipline (of some sort). Usually I have no problem helping out when asked but this particular sup had an extremely poor attitude and didn't like being called on it. Anyway, being on decent terms with my center manager I spoke to him about it after listening to the shop "explain" things. What it boiled down to was him laughing and telling me to keep on keeping on and forget about it. It never really came up again.

To get around to answering your question Brown, I never checked out "working as instructed". I went on the explanation of my shop and as it never was an issue after I let it slip. Talking about this now, I'm actually somewhat embarrassed that I never followed up on it to get all of the details :dissapointed:.

tieguy

Banned
Damok,

I would be interested to know what arbitrator decided an employee could refuse to work as instructed. The basic premise of any employer / employee relationship is that the employee works as instructed by the employer.

As far as your point about language in the contract there are many things that are not in the contract that a person could get fired for doing or not doing.

DorkHead

BrownShark, my helper is working 12 - 13 hours TOTAL as previously stated. 6 on preload and 5-7 as a helper with me, not the 10 that you are saying. My point is that mangement is responsable for knowing when an employee is in violation of any laws and should be held accountable, not the driver.

tieguy

Banned
BrownShark, my helper is working 12 - 13 hours TOTAL as previously stated. 6 on preload and 5-7 as a helper with me, not the 10 that you are saying. My point is that mangement is responsable for knowing when an employee is in violation of any laws and should be held accountable, not the driver.

each driver is also responsible and can pay hefty fines to the DOT if they do not keep track of their hours and violate.

When a driver violates UPS automatically reports it to the DOT. As a result the DOT does not usually act upon the infraction by fining either the company or the driver.

brownrodster

I worked a 14 hour day between helping and my part time shift once. I started at 830 AM as a helper. Was dropped off at the building with air at 5 for my part time shift and finished around 11 PM.

Pollocknbrown

each driver is also responsible and can pay hefty fines to the DOT if they do not keep track of their hours and violate.

When a driver violates UPS automatically reports it to the DOT. As a result the DOT does not usually act upon the infraction by fining either the company or the driver.

Why would the DOT care about a helper? He isn't operating the pkg car he is just delievering the packages. I can understand maybe the DOL getting all up in arms about it but the DOT?