Helpers in June

browned out

Any other areas using driver helpers in May or June. We are. Many of our package cars are going out with peak numbers.

Seems like we need to hire more drivers. I know that the union steward is looking into filing in violation of Article 11 ; section 5 of the Central States supplement.

whiskey

Any other areas using driver helpers in May or June. We are. Many of our package cars are going out with peak numbers.

Seems like we need to hire more drivers. I know that the union steward is looking into filing in violation of Article 11 ; section 5 of the Central States supplement.

Friday night at 1855 I had 25 left. Sent a message I might go over 12. No return message. Made it under 12. No helper.

Overpaid Union Thug

Drivers need to file as well. We did right after peak when helpers were still being used. Most of the grievance money went to part-time covers drivers that might have worked if management hadn't used helpers.

JustTired

free at last.......
Remember when you said at peak.......

"Why can't Christmas come in the summertime when it stays light longer?"

It's heeeeaaaaarrrrr!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You didn't mention so I assume that there are no drivers laid off in your center. Is that correct?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In the Central Region Supplemental Agreement helpers are only permitted outside of the peak season only with the consent of the local union. If that consent was not given, file for each individual violation. More drivers are obviously needed and this practice should be bargained for at the very least.

browned out

You didn't mention so I assume that there are no drivers laid off in your center. Is that correct?

No drivers laid off or we would have filed immediately. It is taking jobs from new drivers and ot from drivers who are entitled to it. Grievance will be based on no consent from local union.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
No way should helpers be used right now, as Bubblehead said it would have to be agreed to be your local Union, they would not agree to that unless all other options had been exhausted, including air drivers working as regular drivers(in which case they get top scale driver pay), and if all the training routes were in the process of being trained. Meaning their is no way of training any one else at the current time.

You should definately file for every second the helpers are being used, remember on non discipline cases you only have 5 days from the date of knowledge to file on the offense. You could possibly word the grievance as "ongoing until settled" so you don"t have to file every 5 days, but be sure to talk to the bussiness agent and make sur that is ok in your area.

browned out

No way should helpers be used right now, as Bubblehead said it would have to be agreed to be your local Union, they would not agree to that unless all other options had been exhausted, including air drivers working as regular drivers(in which case they get top scale driver pay), and if all the training routes were in the process of being trained. Meaning their is no way of training any one else at the current time.

You should definately file for every second the helpers are being used, remember on non discipline cases you only have 5 days from the date of knowledge to file on the offense. You could possibly word the grievance as "ongoing until settled" so you don"t have to file every 5 days, but be sure to talk to the bussiness agent and make sur that is ok in your area.

thanks

local804

Our wonderful old board was kind enough to add language in the last contract allowing them to use helpers all year.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I always write a seperate grievance for each violation. It's a pain, but they hate it. It reflects poorly on their little score card.

Dark_Team_135

Our supplement allows the company to use "vacation replacement" free hire drivers during the months of May - August. Could they use them as helpers rather than as drivers and get away with it? This keeps them from actually having to train them.