Here come the layoffs

Overpaid Union Thug

We were down 4 areas today and will be the same on Monday. Can you say "recession"?

Despite what the media (especially the liberal media) wants you to think.......there is no recession. By definition anyway. Six consecutive months of negative gross domestic product. We are barely half way there.

Starting Monday, the layoffs begin... Lucky for me I have enough seniority to go back inside. Any other buildings down in volume? :anxious:

I was told by management that I could not work inside during a layoff again. I was doing that on Mondays for a while. I worked preload/air or preload/local sort. Since I was told I could no longer do that there has always been enough higher seniority drivers willing to take mondays off so I've been able to drive. I'm the only person that has always wanted my 8 hours but others just take the day off. I'm not the lowest seniority full-timer but I'm pretty close. If I come in to work and none of them want off shouldn't I get paid for my 8 hours anyway? I'm in the southern region and can't find anything in the supplement for this situation.

Areas were cut today because of business closing for Good Friday. Monday the prediction/plan is for even less areas than today but the volume is about the same. I'm thinking our preload sup didn't figure in the packages to be brought back today for CLO H. She may look pretty good in a tight pair of slacks, but lawdy that girl is dumb as a rock.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I don't know of any layoffs where I am at. Volume seems down just a little bit. I am one of the first back to the building and seldom see empty Package Cars sitting anywhere. In fact, I was seventeen stops over-dispatched today, residential routes get hit heavy right before Easter.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Areas were cut today because of business closing for Good Friday. Monday the prediction/plan is for even less areas than today but the volume is about the same. I'm thinking our preload sup didn't figure in the packages to be brought back today for CLO H.
I don't miss the Good Friday/Easter cut back at all. All the places that were closed today did not ship so tonights low pick up volume means light delivery volume on Monday & Tuesday. Don't panic the work will be back faster than you wish. The end of March & the end of 1st quarter will bring a spike in volume.

bad company

semi-pro
My supervisor informed me today that our dispatch is "cutting a lot, and I mean a lot" of routes starting Monday. I don't know if this is just a post-easter plan, or if it's the start of something bigger.

Foamer Pyle

I trust what my business customers are telling me every day "Business is horrible". Rush and Hannity are a couple of right wing facist's, in denial. They both have Bush infatuation syndrome. We are in a recession.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Lay offs? Not here. Hell my steward had 4 9.5 days this week and I had 3. We need drivers so bad we are borrowing from other centers, and have been off and on for the last year. LOL

John19841

I (along with other 2 bottom seniority drivers) have been told we will be laid off next week. They said we can take the week, or work the preload. I don't really understand how they can know in advance this week that there will be layoffs, but every other week they don't know that they'll not need me until 10 minutes before start time. I guess, "it is what it is" as they love to say. I'm just wondering how long this little drop in volume lasts, as everyone here seems to think this is normal? I'm concluding that it happens at this time every year then. Hopefully some more senior people can clue me in to how long this lasts. I was seasonal last year, started in June, and did not work only two days from then until September, so I'm counting down the days until June so I can actually work a full week every week.

Anyway, they said we could work the preload, but that's really it. No other work for us. I said, what's the point. I can stay home, file unemployment and get just as much without lifting a finger. (I know, gen X,Y,Z, etc. thing from other post here...laziness) Sup said that's what he'd suggest.

So anyways, enough of my ramblings, it's the end of a Friday night (err...Saturday morning) and after a little bit to drink I'm off to bed.

local804

Helper loads all last week in Island City. Too much volume, not enough drivers. PAS is coming here by the end of May, should be interesting.

I see them installing the new area near bay 32. The rest of the eli district had pas for well over 3-4 years now. Why they waited so long in IC is beyond me.

over9five

Staff member
Re: Volume down big-time!

I read a story recently of how UPS volume has decreased significantly each week for the past 6 weeks. I looked briefly for it, but can't locate it. Has anyone else read it that can post a link?

I'm glad to hear some of your centers have not experienced the volume decrease, but company-wide we are down a lot.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Helper loads all last week in Island City. Too much volume, not enough drivers. PAS is coming here by the end of May, should be interesting.
Yeah,helper loads have been here pretty much every day since peak.Had never seen that before except for ane time when we had a blizzard during peak that didn't want to melt,but that was 1996 I think.