Here come the layoffs

pkgdriver

Did you know though that every single penny of that will be added to the national deficit? Bush keeps that on the down low. And did you know, that the Fed. Gov. has to pay interest on every single penny of that money? Your tax dollars will have to pay the interest. We owe everyone, we own nothing. Not the way I'd run it, but whatever, the Republicans like it that way. If we continue this way, I fear the outcome. Do you enjoy the financial entities of the middle east owning the U.S.A.? I sure don't. But I guess I am the only one here who cares. Let's just borrow borrow borrow. Who cares right? What's another $12billion for Iraq this month really matter? Or the next month, or the next month.

Well said Favre. Keep your stinkin check and get the US finances in order.

Jim Kemp

No...republicans don't want to strip anyone of their benefits. We, unlike the democrats, just want people to stop feeling like they are entitled to them. You ever hear the phrase...."Never feel entitled to something that you didn't earn" ? Benefits aren't a right. They are a privilege.

What makes you "privileged". Do you consider FLMA, vacation, overtime workers comp and all the other things we all take for granted an "privilege" or "something you earned"? If so why do we deserve them but others don't? I have no special skills or knowledge that would make me privileged
I think republicans would strip every benefit you have if not for people like the democrats. This is why they are sending all the jobs to India so they don't need to pay any benefits and they can work children 80 hours a week for next to nothing.
I am not trying to pick a fight with anyone here, but I was once a Republican also. And I came to the understanding that big corp. in America don't give a tinkers cuss about the middle class. We are just mean to their end.
If everything is so rosie why are you are any of us in this union.
Would we better off going it one on one with UPS

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
BrownSanta was right. I'm a cover driver in my center and all three of them that we have are back to our primary jobs instead of driving routes this week. Center Manager still called me after the sort to see if I was available to drive today though.

cino321

I'm on vacation this week and these guys are blowing up my phone because they want me to come in. It's funny one day they want to cut routes the next day these guys need the 22.3's to run loads.

mikestrek

I'm on vacation this week and these guys are blowing up my phone because they want me to come in. It's funny one day they want to cut routes the next day these guys need the 22.3's to run loads.
I hear ya! we are also told we have way to many drivers but If I ask for a day off. It's always "NO WAY" were short drivers. What's the truth? :happy2:

Overpaid Union Thug

UPS likes to cut routes the week after Easter (or any major Holiday) so of course many of the areas are going to be cut. We are back up to the normal number of routes starting today. Our vacations have already started so we will be screwed.

Braveheart

Despite what the media (especially the liberal media) wants you to think.......there is no recession. By definition anyway. Six consecutive months of negative gross domestic product. We are barely half way there.

I was told by management that I could not work inside during a layoff again. I was doing that on Mondays for a while. I worked preload/air or preload/local sort. Since I was told I could no longer do that there has always been enough higher seniority drivers willing to take mondays off so I've been able to drive. I'm the only person that has always wanted my 8 hours but others just take the day off. I'm not the lowest seniority full-timer but I'm pretty close. If I come in to work and none of them want off shouldn't I get paid for my 8 hours anyway? I'm in the southern region and can't find anything in the supplement for this situation.
You get 8 hours period. Maybe it has not been "6" moths yet but we are definitely in a recession. I talk to all my customers and orders are way down. When I go to lunch the places are empty too.

You should be able to do two part time shifts.

Braveheart

We are plenty busy in Central PA. Where are you located that they are laying off?
Our cover drivers are all back to part time. Luckily we have 2-3 drivers a day willing to go home so the lowest full time drivers can get work. Both sides win. Older guys get to take a day or two for their backs and newbie's get some work. I am down at least 20-30 boxes a day on the delivery side and pick ups are in half. One business up and shut their doors the other day.

Overpaid Union Thug

You get 8 hours period. Maybe it has not been "6" moths yet but we are definitely in a recession. I talk to all my customers and orders are way down. When I go to lunch the places are empty too.

You should be able to do two part time shifts.

Not here. Businesse as usuall. I'll jump on the recession panic bandwagon once we are beyond the six months. Until then I say...........what recession? Why are so many people so quick to panic about this. It's like some poeple almost want there to be one. Don't you realize that panic adds to the problem? If people think there is a recession then they will cut back. If many people cut back then their could be a recession. So, basically it creates a recession.

wannabeups

Depending on who you talk to. I hear that the senior drivers won't take a winter vacation. Others say that volume is way down.

I don't know who to believe.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I have not worked at all since Dec 26th 2007, and I spoke to the package driver yesterday who was delivering to my house and he told me things are very slow and some routes were canceled. I have seen my TM on the road into work and he smiles and waves..........I`ll just hang on.

A

Anonymous Sheep

Anyone here anything about 1200 or so drivers being laid off in California?

local804

Depending on who you talk to. I hear that the senior drivers won't take a winter vacation. Others say that volume is way down.

I don't know who to believe.

Senior guys here DONT take winter vacations. They are forced to take 1 contractually but otherwise, they use them all in the summer.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
Well, they moved 7 of us low seniority drivers back inside. Been working night/preload. Hard to get used to eating lunch at 3am, and sleeping all day while the sun is out. :dissapointed:

But hey, typical UPS, can't get a straight answer from anyone with a walkie talkie or a suit. Could be 5 weeks inside, could be more...could be less.....